Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Jack Dandy Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:15am
Why is Valve biased against Japanese indie games?
The only game that made it in so far is La Mulana.

I think it's really unfair. They should pay more attention to stuff like Croixleur, Bunny Must Die, etc.
Showing 1-15 of 102 comments
< >
wilco64256 Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:17am 
Get more people to vote for those games then.
Jack Dandy Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:22am 
Stop being a drone. It shouldn't be the public's job to be game marketers.
wilco64256 Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:27am 
If you're just expecting Valve to randomly pull games that aren't generating interest out of Greenlight just to "pay more attention" to them, then I don't think you understand how Greenlight is meant to work.
Jack Dandy Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:32am 
"generating interest" doesn't mean much when it just depends on useless 'internet popularity' rather than on the game's actual qualities.

EDIT: And besides, isn't it generally idiotic to expect a game to generate interest before people play it?
Take Recettear for example. It's an excellent game, that sells great. But it was virtually unknown before it hit Steam. If it was forced into Greenlight, nobody would vote for it, nobody would know about it, and hardly anybody would play it. Would that be right in your eyes?
Last edited by Jack Dandy; Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:38am
C0untzer0 Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:58am 
Can you clarify if your position is
  • that everybody except you is wrong, or if it's
  • that people shouldn't decide what they want to spend their money on?
Last edited by C0untzer0; Aug 10, 2013 @ 2:39pm
Jack Dandy Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:04am 
Yeah, in general, the vast majority of people are uninformed\dumb, and leaving them the decision on which indies gets in is very irresponsible.
Last edited by Jack Dandy; Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:05am
wilco64256 Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:06am 
That's sort of the oddity about being in business for profit though, isn't it? You have to decide which products to put on your shelves and advertise, and if you aren't determining that based on which are the most popular, how else would you determine such a thing? If you're in business to make money, and you place 2 products in front of 20,000 people, if 15,000 of those people say they would buy product A but only 300 people say they would buy product B, which would you put up for sale in your store?

Originally posted by Jack Dandy:
Yeah, in general, the vast majority of people are uninformed\dumb, and leaving them the decision on which indies gets in is very irresponsible.

In business, it doesn't matter how "uninformed\dumb" people are, it only matters what you can get them to spend their money on.
Last edited by wilco64256; Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:07am
C0untzer0 Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:10am 
Then it's probably best for you to leave this place and never return. Go whine somewhere else, and remember that if you want to make these decisions you need to DO something first to gain influence. Oh, and don't forget to check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy.
So far you're doing a great job to influence your audience, by essentially insulting us ALL I'm sure that in some way you feel justified, but wouldn't it have been netter NOT to alienate everybody?
Last edited by C0untzer0; Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:15am
Sera Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:36am 
And this is why games are crap nowadays. We let the ignorant and uninformed choose the games the store should sell and so, because of these idiots, I miss on games I could already have bought off Steam in a blink. There was a time we were offered games and we bought them or we didn't and god, that time was wonderful. The feeling that I have to trust imbeciles for voting on the games I want is already sad as it is... Sigh...

The only reasons I voted no for easily 95% of games is because I was trying to be honest with the question but I find sad that I have to do this. I am sure many other people are looking forward to play some games that they saw in Greenlight and who knows, maybe they can't because of me and many other people who voted no for them. I used to defend Greenlight then I realized how crappy the system was. I feel bad for gamers and I feel bad for myself having to deal with this ♥♥♥♥.
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:03am 
I understand what you're saying, Wilco. But I still think that even despite being a business, Valve should have some base responsibility as the PC's largest digital distirbutor, regarding the variety of games the public wants. And that leaving it solely to the abstract Greenlight mechanic is pretty unfair.
It's not like Valve is running on a shoestring budget, they can afford to let in some less popular games, just to give them a chance when faced with the mass market.
There are roughtly 1500 games on greenlight. Which one of these "less popular" games should they give a chance? Odds are they aren't going to pick one you like anyway...
Your complaint is ridicolous and illthought through.

And as for c0unter, get the hell out of this thread. One of the basis of Democracy is about having different opinions and discussions about them- maybe you should read that article yourself.
Did you just.... did you just say you wanted to deny C0untzer0 his voice in a discussion because he isn't democratic in your opinion? Are you trying to promote democracy through tyrranic principles? Isn't that kind of contradictive?

Originally posted by Sera:
And this is why games are crap nowadays. We let the ignorant and uninformed choose the games the store should sell and so, because of these idiots, I miss on games I could already have bought off Steam in a blink. There was a time we were offered games and we bought them or we didn't and god, that time was wonderful. The feeling that I have to trust imbeciles for voting on the games I want is already sad as it is... Sigh...

The only reasons I voted no for easily 95% of games is because I was trying to be honest with the question but I find sad that I have to do this. I am sure many other people are looking forward to play some games that they saw in Greenlight and who knows, maybe they can't because of me and many other people who voted no for them. I used to defend Greenlight then I realized how crappy the system was. I feel bad for gamers and I feel bad for myself having to deal with this ♥♥♥♥.
Can't you buy these games elsewhere if you really wish to have them?

It's not that you are missing out on games. You are just better informed about what games exist out there now. Look for other avenues to aquire the games you now know about imo.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:05am
jeslyck Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:05am 
Is it one of the post Quote: my taste is so much better than all of you small "insects" I'm sitting here with my Pérignon and my Karl Lagerfeld suit oh! my God why have they given the mob voting rights.
Resolute Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:31am 
If a games good enough it will get the attention of the voters. If a game is 'overlooked' chances are it just doesn't appeal to alot of people.

Why should a game that is less popular than others get to 'jump' the queue and get on steam ahead of a game that attracts a lot more sttention/votes?
Sera Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:37am 
Not really. All I'm saying is that we let the players decide the sells of Steam so only a few of us really get to enjoy the games they want. The abandoned games (Thanks to Valve and/or the lack of interests and flawed system of Greenlight) remain there and tease us and almost everyone who voted for those wonder what the hell is Valve doing with them. Will we ever get an answer? Obviously not...

Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Can't you buy these games elsewhere if you really wish to have them?

It's not that you are missing out on games. You are just better informed about what games exist out there now. Look for other avenues to aquire the games you now know about imo.
I already did for some of them. Bunny must die as an example, I downloaded it from some torrent website in the past (Years ago) and backed up the game to play it as I like. Sure, I got the game for free but I would like to see it on Steam anyway. Instead we're down to this... Who knows, maybe the lack of votes for japanese indie/games is related to the fact that we can get most of them if not all of them for free elsewhere. I still think it's a shame we have to deal with Greenlight...
C0untzer0 Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:40am 
Originally posted by jeslyck:
Is it one of the post Quote: my taste is so much better than all of you small "insects" I'm sitting here with my Pérignon and my Karl Lagerfeld suit oh! my God why have they given the mob voting rights.
And the soultion is never to do something positive like rally support or get some kind of ezine or web community behind the thing you want. It's always to bring down what is popular and successful.
Jack Dandy Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:58am 
Bunny Must Die or Croixleur are some great high-quality games that simply can't compete with the more popular titles simply because people don't even bother looking at them.

Popularity shouldn't be the main deciding factor about whether a game gets into Steam or not.

Hell, Steam is ending up with situations where it lets in games which AREN'T EVEN FINISHED (Early access my ♥♥♥.. Alpha funding is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥), in place of games that ARE finished and are high-quality. It's appaling.
Last edited by Jack Dandy; Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:01pm
Showing 1-15 of 102 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:15am