Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Ash Williams Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:55pm
Give us some ideas for [Original] monsters!
Hey guys, I was having this discussion on another thread (the zombies one), but I just wanted to avoid hijacking it by accident.

I asked that if everyone was sick of zombies, what kind of monsters would people like to see in games?

Slenderman was great when he first came out, but he's probably a complete bore now as well.

We had a great mini-discussion. A few people suggested taking a look at classic mythology such as the Fae, and we got quite a bit of interest around modern stuff like Dr Who. Who can forget the classic Cybermen or the freaky voiced Daileks? The new series also offered some great originality such as the weeping angels or the empty children (I have to check these out myself)

Someone also suggested that zombies are a great choice of creature because their design lends them to games so well,i.e. they're dumb, you don't feel guilty for killing them, there are different varieties, you can reuse the same biped models for your humans, etc.

We also had another great insight as to what makes a good horror creature (like the Weeping Angels, Slendy). Basically they are inescapable - they will eventually get you, so you have the slow burning dread of anticipating the final moment.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about what else you'd like to see in the horror genre that would be fresh and exciting - a new "Slendy" if you will :)

Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
AusSkiller Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:47pm 
This raises another issue with not using zombies, creating new monsters is highly dependent on the type of game, the setting and the aesthetic, for instance a mech type monster would not work very well in a serious fantasy RPG about dealing with the aftermath of a war that devastated the world.

But that aside here are some thoughts on new monsters:

I've always thought you could make a good game where the player is their own enemy monster. I was thinking of it being a first or third person RPG where you have been cursed or something and need to go off in search of a cure, but you do not have full control of your body, you cannot take hostile action against any of the people involved in your curse, and your body will kill anyone that tries to help you get cured, as you level up the curse gets stronger and more dangerous to everyone and everything around you and you start growing all sorts of weird appendages and and organs that give you special abilities and you have the option to either let them be or actively try to destroy them to prevent them being used on innocent people, and you can eventually learn to take back some control to use your new abilities for what you want. I think it would make some interesting choices for character development, do you keep the new OP nova blast type ability or do you destroy it so your body doesn't use it in the middle of town wiping out the civilians and merchants. I think it would also be fun to play as an evil character where instead of trying to get cured you revel in the power of your new body and instead try to prevent anyone from ever being able to cure you.

For a Sci-Fi horror shooter you could have nanobots that act like the replicators from Stargate, visually they'd be a silverish liquid like mercury that would basically stream all over the level eating it up and if you touch it you're dead, needless to say it actively tries to stream towards you and the best you can do is slow them down rather than straight up kill them all.

For a horror game like the slender games monsters that are invisible but still cast a shadow would be pretty good if portable lights are very scarce, and unlike shadow monsters you don't kill them by attacking the shadow you have to work out where they actually are from the shadows and attack the monster.

I has also thought a highly contagious virus would be an interesting enemy to play against, but that would really just be similar to a zombie game in the middle of the initial outbreak, trying to quarantine the infected and killing any infected that try to run away. Atom zombie smasher pretty much already uses this idea. Again it's very hard to not cross into zombie territory.

And for a real scary "Holy ♥♥♥♥! What the ♥♥♥♥ is that!?" type monster I suggest a land based monster based on the female angler fish. They are already pretty much the most freaky monsters on the planet and if they were land based and 10 foot tall I'd be ♥♥♥♥ting myself 24/7, just check out these links to see what I mean:
http://youtu.be/Z-BbpaNXbxg
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/angler
Can you imagine having one of these running up to you and trying to bite your head off, or worse yet being camouflaged as a pile of rubble or large bush and gobbling you up when you walk past it. And then just to make things really ♥♥♥♥ed up have it fuse other monsters to it's self to gain their abilities and add some extra ugly to it too. Nothing make you say "HOLY ♥♥♥♥! Get me the hell out of here!" like seeing you enemies (that normally wouldn't even flinch at the sight of you who has killed hundreds of them) fleeing in terror from a much bigger enemy that is consuming them to get even bigger, nastier and more grotesque than the big, nasty and grotesque mess it started as.
Ash Williams Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:03pm 
Those are some pretty cool ideas. Hey have you ever read Fighting Fantasy Books? There is one called Creature of Havoc. In it at the start of the story you are cursed as a hideous monster. When you make your choices sometimes the animal urges take over and you kill innocents and end up doing terrible things inadvertently. There is also a creature in it which is only visible as a shadow, but it will hurt you physically when it attacks your own shadow.

There are some really freaky deep sea creatures like the angler that are all mouth and a tiny snake-like bodies with those little light knobs on their head for attracting prey. Looking through science books as a kid, I thought I was looking at horror movie monsters! :)

Cool ideas though - I can imagine a nice twist like a slender type game but you're a scuba diver trying to avoid intelligent angler fish creatures who are actively hunting you in the deep ocean [shudder!] :)
C0untzer0 Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:32am 
If you think the Angler's bad:
http://youtu.be/3H4J5QDQeA4
http://vimeo.com/28280553
These buggers really are HUGE!
Anything that'd work in a B-movie would work in a game, we haven't seen many good Kobolds or Gnolls lately, either. Grey Goo is a good idea, Grey Goo that takes other forms would add a certain edge. (Check out "Prey" by Micheal Crichton) Pod People from "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" Or skinsuited aliens a la "V" would lead to some interesting moral decisions (Who do you trust, who do you kill) and gives the possibility of leading the player a long way down the wrong path before they find out that they've been duped.
The anglerfish in Finding Nemo was scary, but what they do to the males worries me more...
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jul 30, 2013 @ 2:11am
C0untzer0 Jul 30, 2013 @ 2:36am 
Shapeshifter! Try to find the original novel they made into "Predator" for a good example. Or "Emohawk" for a funny one. A mind control device leads to dilemmas (How long does it take to find out that these people can be saved? Did you sneak by or kill before you knew?, when you're trying to find the cure, how many do you sacrifice?)
Ash Williams Jul 30, 2013 @ 4:35am 
OMG that bobbit worm is a real life sarlacc pit right there! Or a sandworm.
Hmm the grey goo idea sounds pretty cool. You could have a game like Hidden in Plain Sight where you'd have to observe the behaviors of the people around you so tell who is goo and who is real.

Thanks for the references, I'll have a look for Prey on itunes.

Lol so what happens to the angler males? Do they get eaten as per black widows? Or get eggs laid into them :)
Last edited by Ash Williams; Jul 30, 2013 @ 4:39am
AusSkiller Jul 30, 2013 @ 5:12am 
Originally posted by Ash Williams:
Lol so what happens to the angler males? Do they get eaten as per black widows? Or get eggs laid into them :)
That's what male angler fish would consider a fairy tale, they bite onto the female, then digest their own face to fuse themselves onto the female, then their entire body slowly wastes away until they are nothing but a pair of gonads that the female can get sperm from when she needs it. Anybody that says FML should really compare their life to that of the male angler fish ;).

More detail here:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/angler
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 30, 2013 @ 11:00am 
I was thinking about writing out a bit more detail about these thoughts but I lost my trail of thought so I'm just gonna mention a few ideas in a list like format. A lot of them seem to be magical/fantasy themed.

Golems / puppets
elemental beeings / forces of nature given form.
lesser or half Gods (possibly their avatars). Could be different enough that they aren't just reskinned demons. You won't be thematically bound to fire, decay and plagues.
Could include fanatical cultists too. It could be scary in the "holding up a mirror to self/society" kind of way :)

Liches using skeletons (that reassemble themselves after geting knocked down) as minions. Possibly have the skeletons use magic as well to indicate they got some form of more than basic intelligence. Have the skeletons drag some victim away and be used in some weird ritual to show how ruthless and malicous they are. Show that the ritual makes them into these skeletal minions and you even cover the conversion trope.
Skeletons in my limited experience seems to usually suffer from being portraid as weaker than zombies and used as puppets rather than acting on their own intelligence..

Gargoyles/antlion type enemies.

Spiderbots? hmm perhaps a bit too common, what about serpent robots? lots and lots of serpent robots... on a plane.

Something that is blind and uses other (unspecified) sense s to locate and interact with other living beings.

Jelly slimes. Sure they are used a lot as comedic relief in JPRGS and such. But what if you don't give them the goofy smile and a pair of cute eyes. With the right setting they could be interesting.
Mr.Mann Jul 30, 2013 @ 4:18pm 
How about a giant insect-like human with a mind of its own. Imangne hearing screams. Then you go down to the place you heard it from. When you get there you see IT. Usually when you think of this thing, you think its dumb. Then, it speaks 2 words: Hello human. The lights flicker and it vansies suddenly. It adds suspense and fear because in movies with scary monsters, its always scarier when it shows intelgenice. Its always scary when it disappears. Just a suggestion. And add more monsters before you meet this one, kinad adds more suspenses.
Last edited by Mr.Mann; Jul 30, 2013 @ 4:22pm
Mr.Mann Jul 30, 2013 @ 4:24pm 
For a game where eventually you die. You could have a ghost like monster that leaves blood and footprints everywhere it goes. Your job is to find it and kill it. As you get closer and closer, the scarier and sacrier it gets, right up to the point where you meet it. You either live or die based on your actions. That would be nice.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:55pm