Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
[RU]Me0wish Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:50pm
Why must Rising Star Games(Deadly Premonition) Have their games greenlit?
The game is highly praised by the gaming community and some critics, and its not even indie, I don't get why must they go through the greelight process? This seems like a wasted slot for an indie game to get approved, and waste of time for DP to get on steam.

I thought valve was attempting to make it easier for devs to make it to steam, especially Japanese devs.
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
WaaghMan Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:53am 
I like that the game goes through Greenlight. The more games go through the system, the more chances Valve improves it.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 19, 2013 @ 8:36am 
Originally posted by WaaghMan:
I like that the game goes through Greenlight. The more games go through the system, the more chances Valve improves it.
Improves the system or improves the games? I assume you mean improves the system?
[RU]Me0wish Jul 19, 2013 @ 10:27am 
What does Valve have to do with the game?
And even if they did have anything to do with the game, how will green light help "improve" the game?
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:30am 
If it's still in development greenlight could help through communication with potential buyers on how to improve it I guess.
But I have no idea how Valve would have anything to do with it's improvement. That is why I assumed he was talking about the system even though I felt the sentance was a bit confusing.
✘ReBOOT✘ Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:46am 
Originally posted by Meowish:
What does Valve have to do with the game?
And even if they did have anything to do with the game, how will green light help "improve" the game?

Valve own Steam, thus are responsible for greenlight. They're talking of Valve using this to somehow improve greenlight. I don't get how that works, though.
wilco64256 Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:48am 
Originally posted by ✘ReSALE: Summer Paradise✘:
Valve own Steam, thus are responsible for greenlight. They're talking of Valve using this to somehow improve greenlight. I don't get how that works, though.

I can see how that would work. When bigger studios get pushed through Greenlight, they can provide a bit more "heavy-handed" feedback to Valve about pros and cons of the system than tiny indies can.
WaaghMan Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:10pm 
Of course, I meant improving the system, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

And yeah, as wilco says, I was referring mostly about improving the way Greenlight works. We all know there's plenty of room for improvement, and I think making it the only, or at least the main way to get games approved for Steam would result in a better Greenlight.

Not because there would be better games on the list, but because then Valve would probably realize more easily the flaws on the current system and fix them.

The recent cases of games trying to get to Steam with a publisher instead of going through Greenlight are just proof that the system is currently in a state that shouldn't hold up for much longer. I don't know even a single game developer, or gamer, that is fine with the current system and doesn't think it should be improved or changed in some way.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:14pm 
I don't know even a single game developer, or gamer, that is fine with the current system and doesn't think it should be improved or changed in some way.
I haven't quite understood the particular problem with Greenlight that everyone else seem to be seeing. I'm probably doing different assumptions compared to others (and only seeing it from a consumers perspective).

Could someone clarify for me what exactly is the problem with the current system? Are comparisons being made to the old system?
WaaghMan Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:19pm 
Simple: There are good games, already finished development, not available on Steam yet.

No comparisons with anything needed. That's a problem, and it hasn't been solved.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:24pm 
Simple: There are good games, already finished development, not available on Steam yet.
Do we have any ideas as to why they are not on steam or are we just guessing and assuming?

Edit: added quote for clarity to what I'm refering to.
WaaghMan Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:28pm 
Indeed, AFAIK, Valve has admitted that there's an issue with the amount of games greenlit (most of the problems with the system relate to the amount of games released, after all) and they are working on streamlining the process so they can increase the rate.
Skoardy Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:55pm 
Looks like guessing/assuming, yeah.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 19, 2013 @ 7:44pm 
So it is entirely possible it has nothing to do with the selection process system at all... the problem might lie elsewhere within Valve.

Also possible that it is merely a precived problem in the minds of different minded outspoken voices.
WaaghMan Jul 20, 2013 @ 3:03am 
@Skoardy I'm in the developers group too, so I know what I'm talking about.

@Gorlom I don't see the popularity contest selection process as an ideal one, just like democracy is "the worst form of government except for all the others". But yeah, if the floodgates were more open, the process wouldn't be that much of an issue.
Skoardy Jul 20, 2013 @ 3:52am 
Unless you actually know the reason WaaghMan, it's all guessing/assuming. Throwing in unrelated (and well-known - you don't need to be part of the developer's group to read months old interviews published on the internet) issues about Greenlight's bottleneck doesn't really explain anything regarding the topic subject.
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:50pm