Steam Greenlight
Hand drawn concepts
I don't see how people who make drawings and post them on greenlight Get away with not making any updates at all

It seems that only the ones with good drawing skills get any positive attention or an atenttion

While the ones with a good concept and interesting ideas and listens to criticism but don't have the best drawing skills are either ignored given negative attention and then taken down by their creators

Why is this?
< >
Zobrazeno 115 z 15 komentářů
Are you taliking about the concept section or the games section.

If it is in concepts it probably has to do with it being easier to see the project owner acomplishing anything if they have something to show. Just an idea as text doesn't allways ammount to things.

People tend to be focused on graphics for some reason. I think it's an unhealthy obsession and a wide spread misconception about what good graphics is. (most people consider 2D dated regardless of what the game mechanics are)

Also how is anyone getting away with not making any updates at all? If they don't update then that is their loss is it not?
It's easy to write a pie-in-the-sky concept idea, drawing on popular gaming archetypes and promising the world. A concept that consists solely of a wishful description and little more tends to come from wannabe developers with little-to-no hope of bringing their game to fruition.
And then there's the "Implementation delay" Last year I had a number of discussions with fellow devs which led to a workable concept. It's taken months to flesh that out from a fw lines to an actual world, and I still have no pictures (except for a few flowcharts) Even if I posted a concept this week I wouldn't update it for 2-3 months, because that's how long it will take before my art team has something worth showing, then another couple of months before things start moving... Too many people post too soon, then become disheartened.
The magical Wishing Ghost původně napsal:
I don't see how people who make drawings and post them on greenlight Get away with not making any updates at all

It seems that only the ones with good drawing skills get any positive attention or an atenttion

While the ones with a good concept and interesting ideas and listens to criticism but don't have the best drawing skills are either ignored given negative attention and then taken down by their creators

Why is this?

Indeed but thats how average people see things from the eyes of the majority. ``Wow look at that drawing so good, he/she has some nice skills, i have definately to vote this``. It`s not that simple, some people has great ideas but are not brave enough or constant to get the rest of his/her work we have to keep more attention for those people so maybe one day they come up with different things i mean really unique things so that the average game developers getting shocked and wondering why this could happen. Sadly we its truth, that we are dealing most times with same looking works in Movies, Video Games, Music etc.
CHLOL původně napsal:

Indeed but thats how average people see things from the eyes of the majority.
Citation needed
I think it's the general internet rule of "I'm special and I can appreciate things that the lesser hoi polloi can't.". It's the same rule people apply when complaining about the 'quality' of games coming out of Greenlight.
Mindwedge původně napsal:
Skoardy původně napsal:
I think it's the general internet rule of "I'm special and I can appreciate things that the lesser hoi polloi can't.". It's the same rule people apply when complaining about the 'quality' of games coming out of Greenlight.

Or complaining about the complaining? That's productive......
We are attempting to cube the productivity by complaining about complaining about complainnig!

After that we will start working on complaining about complaining about complainig about complaining.... and beyond.
Naposledy upravil Gorlom[Swe]; 11. čvc. 2013 v 15.59
Probably on a very large prime number, that will then be used as the basis for the equation to find the meaning of life...
Gawd.... where does it end?
When *everything* gets greenlit and people stop moaning about super secret special conspiracies to stop obviously fantastic games from reaching the public.
GorlomSwe původně napsal:
We are attempting to cube the productivity by complaining about complaining about complainnig!

After that we will start working on complaining about complaining about complainig about complaining.... and beyond.
Of course a cube is always positive, (where x =/= 0) but what if all of this complaining is derivative?
Skoardy původně napsal:
Gawd.... where does it end?
When *everything* gets greenlit and people stop moaning about super secret special conspiracies to stop obviously fantastic games from reaching the public.
oh how naive the young are.....
what did i miss?
HotPotato55 původně napsal:
what did i miss?
The class on "How to actually contribute to a thread so it doesn't look like you're some chump clearly only posting just to get their Community Ambassador badge.". Not sure you would have passed it anyway, though.
how that works?
Skoardy původně napsal:
HotPotato55 původně napsal:
what did i miss?
The class on "How to actually contribute to a thread so it doesn't look like you're some chump clearly only posting just to get their Community Ambassador badge.". Not sure you would have passed it anyway, though.
That's a good way to point it. xD

Now back to the topic: it seems that nowadays people don't believe in improvement anymore. So they just don't believe that a drawing that is good, but not awesome, will one day be awesome, if there is enough feedback from the community (and practice, of course).

There is also the fact that many people just plain destroy the artworks that they find "bad". I'm not a good drawer, and I would honestly think 40049021 times before posting something here. I'd be affraid of the toxic feedback I might receive.

Another point is: people tend to believe that concept is just for the big companies, and nobody else is "allowed" to do it. (believe me, I've heard this from some people) ;\
< >
Zobrazeno 115 z 15 komentářů
Na stránku: 1530 50

Datum zveřejnění: 9. čvc. 2013 v 16.56
Počet příspěvků: 15