Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Kingjaffad Jul 9, 2013 @ 4:56pm
Hand drawn concepts
I don't see how people who make drawings and post them on greenlight Get away with not making any updates at all

It seems that only the ones with good drawing skills get any positive attention or an atenttion

While the ones with a good concept and interesting ideas and listens to criticism but don't have the best drawing skills are either ignored given negative attention and then taken down by their creators

Why is this?
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 9, 2013 @ 6:35pm 
Are you taliking about the concept section or the games section.

If it is in concepts it probably has to do with it being easier to see the project owner acomplishing anything if they have something to show. Just an idea as text doesn't allways ammount to things.

People tend to be focused on graphics for some reason. I think it's an unhealthy obsession and a wide spread misconception about what good graphics is. (most people consider 2D dated regardless of what the game mechanics are)

Also how is anyone getting away with not making any updates at all? If they don't update then that is their loss is it not?
Skoardy Jul 9, 2013 @ 7:11pm 
It's easy to write a pie-in-the-sky concept idea, drawing on popular gaming archetypes and promising the world. A concept that consists solely of a wishful description and little more tends to come from wannabe developers with little-to-no hope of bringing their game to fruition.
C0untzer0 Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:23am 
And then there's the "Implementation delay" Last year I had a number of discussions with fellow devs which led to a workable concept. It's taken months to flesh that out from a fw lines to an actual world, and I still have no pictures (except for a few flowcharts) Even if I posted a concept this week I wouldn't update it for 2-3 months, because that's how long it will take before my art team has something worth showing, then another couple of months before things start moving... Too many people post too soon, then become disheartened.
[LSE]EBlue Jul 10, 2013 @ 6:57pm 
Originally posted by The magical Wishing Ghost:
I don't see how people who make drawings and post them on greenlight Get away with not making any updates at all

It seems that only the ones with good drawing skills get any positive attention or an atenttion

While the ones with a good concept and interesting ideas and listens to criticism but don't have the best drawing skills are either ignored given negative attention and then taken down by their creators

Why is this?

Indeed but thats how average people see things from the eyes of the majority. ``Wow look at that drawing so good, he/she has some nice skills, i have definately to vote this``. It`s not that simple, some people has great ideas but are not brave enough or constant to get the rest of his/her work we have to keep more attention for those people so maybe one day they come up with different things i mean really unique things so that the average game developers getting shocked and wondering why this could happen. Sadly we its truth, that we are dealing most times with same looking works in Movies, Video Games, Music etc.
C0untzer0 Jul 11, 2013 @ 12:14am 
Originally posted by CHLOL:

Indeed but thats how average people see things from the eyes of the majority.
Citation needed
Skoardy Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:46am 
I think it's the general internet rule of "I'm special and I can appreciate things that the lesser hoi polloi can't.". It's the same rule people apply when complaining about the 'quality' of games coming out of Greenlight.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 11, 2013 @ 3:57pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Originally posted by Skoardy:
I think it's the general internet rule of "I'm special and I can appreciate things that the lesser hoi polloi can't.". It's the same rule people apply when complaining about the 'quality' of games coming out of Greenlight.

Or complaining about the complaining? That's productive......
We are attempting to cube the productivity by complaining about complaining about complainnig!

After that we will start working on complaining about complaining about complainig about complaining.... and beyond.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jul 11, 2013 @ 3:59pm
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:22pm 
Probably on a very large prime number, that will then be used as the basis for the equation to find the meaning of life...
Skoardy Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:05pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Gawd.... where does it end?
When *everything* gets greenlit and people stop moaning about super secret special conspiracies to stop obviously fantastic games from reaching the public.
C0untzer0 Jul 11, 2013 @ 11:28pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
We are attempting to cube the productivity by complaining about complaining about complainnig!

After that we will start working on complaining about complaining about complainig about complaining.... and beyond.
Of course a cube is always positive, (where x =/= 0) but what if all of this complaining is derivative?
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:42am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Gawd.... where does it end?
When *everything* gets greenlit and people stop moaning about super secret special conspiracies to stop obviously fantastic games from reaching the public.
oh how naive the young are.....
HotPotato55 Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:31pm 
what did i miss?
Skoardy Jul 13, 2013 @ 1:04pm 
Originally posted by HotPotato55:
what did i miss?
The class on "How to actually contribute to a thread so it doesn't look like you're some chump clearly only posting just to get their Community Ambassador badge.". Not sure you would have passed it anyway, though.
[IK]+(VVV) El Kashi Kumbiambero Jul 16, 2013 @ 6:48am 
how that works?
Darth Luke Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:43pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Originally posted by HotPotato55:
what did i miss?
The class on "How to actually contribute to a thread so it doesn't look like you're some chump clearly only posting just to get their Community Ambassador badge.". Not sure you would have passed it anyway, though.
That's a good way to point it. xD

Now back to the topic: it seems that nowadays people don't believe in improvement anymore. So they just don't believe that a drawing that is good, but not awesome, will one day be awesome, if there is enough feedback from the community (and practice, of course).

There is also the fact that many people just plain destroy the artworks that they find "bad". I'm not a good drawer, and I would honestly think 40049021 times before posting something here. I'd be affraid of the toxic feedback I might receive.

Another point is: people tend to believe that concept is just for the big companies, and nobody else is "allowed" to do it. (believe me, I've heard this from some people) ;\
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 9, 2013 @ 4:56pm
Posts: 15