Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
ekbmrb Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:08pm
Something that really grinds my gears about Greenlight.
From the Greenlight FAQ: “Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.”

Because these developers don’t have games on here already:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156962985
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140267269
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=142369710
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113281105
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100635956

I mean, if it were because these games are niche, that would be one thing, but why would any PC gamer- no, scratch that, any gamer buy a digital version of a board game? I mean, come on:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224700/?snr=1_4_4__tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC_4

Now, before any of you says that this got on Steam because it’s published by PopCap, I have two words: Paranautical Activity.

And because SOMEBODY is going to say so, no, I'm not butthurt. In fact, calling me butthurt would show that you are the one who is butthurt, because all I'm doing is explaining how this system is, at best, flawed.

TL:DR- Some developers with games already on Steam have to go through Steam Greenlight, when all signs point to there being no logical reason for this.
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
A Puzzlemint of Legend Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:10pm 
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Greenlight is flawless.

In fact, I'm pretty sure even Valve knows it's a joke.
wilco64256 Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:18pm 
There's really nothing in the Greenlight FAQ that says "Developers or publishers who already have games on the Steam store do *not* have to go through Greenlight" so I'm not sure what the complaint here is. I can agree that the system is flawed, but it's been clear since the day it launched that Valve would be pushing devs and publishers with games already on their store into this system. Nobody really knows why, it just is what it is.
ekbmrb Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:03pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
it's been clear since the day it launched that Valve would be pushing devs and publishers with games already on their store into this system.

[Citation needed]
wilco64256 Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:04pm 
Originally posted by ekbmrb:
it's been clear since the day it launched that Valve would be pushing devs and publishers with games already on their store into this system.

[Citation needed]

Reverb publishing launched five games the day Greenlight started, and they already had over a dozen titles on the Steam store.
ekbmrb Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:14pm 
I was referring to, say, a statement from Valve, not another example of the situations the developers I mentioned are in.
-Z- Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:15pm 
I mean, if it were because these games are niche, that would be one thing, but why would any PC gamer- no, scratch that, any gamer buy a digital version of a board game? I mean, come on:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224700/?snr=1_4_4__tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC_4
Because digital versions are easier to play and you don't have to worry about cleaning up after or losing pieces?

Now, before any of you says that this got on Steam because it’s published by PopCap, I have two words: Paranautical Activity.
Allow me to respond to your two words with three: horrible business strategy.

And because SOMEBODY is going to say so, no, I'm not butthurt. In fact, calling me butthurt would show that you are the one who is butthurt, because all I'm doing is explaining how this system is, at best, flawed.
Are you sure you aren't butthurt about having been called butthurt before? Because that would explain why you'd bother trying to pre-emptively call people who'd call you butthurt butthurt, as though two individuals in opposition to one another can't possibly be butthurt simultaneously. 'cause, otherwise, saying that was just silly.

TL:DR- Some developers with games already on Steam have to go through Steam Greenlight, when all signs point to there being no logical reason for this.
Unless their sales have been very poor and Steam wants to be sure their future titles have enough interest to be worth adding to the store. That's a fairly logical reason for this. Not sure if it's one they've used, but it is a logical reason for this nonetheless.
Last edited by -Z-; Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:19pm
Skoardy Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:16pm 
Board games have been a popular genre for computer entertainment software for over three decades. What's your point?
wilco64256 Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:17pm 
I was referring to, say, a statement from Valve, not another example of the situations the developers I mentioned are in.

You're looking for a statement to clarify that there's never been a statement? That sorta doesn't make any sense at all. Hence the "Nobody really knows why" bit of my post. Valve hasn't ever made an official statement explaining why they're forcing developers and publishers who already have games in the catalog through this system. I can't cite something that doesn't exist.
-Z- Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:18pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Board games have been a popular genre for computer entertainment software for over three decades. What's your point?
Indeed. Vaguely recall booting up a game of Monopoly via DOS prior to ever getting an SNES.
wilco64256 Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:23pm 
How on Earth did you come to that conclusion?

I'm admittedly confused by this question. You're welcome to find a statement from Valve explaining this very issue, but it's rather difficult for me to answer the question any more thoroughly than I already have. It's a known fact that a number of developers and publishers who already have items in the Steam store have had to submit their games to Greenlight, and as far as I am aware (and I have watched this situation pretty closely, because our project was in that boat for some time) Valve has never given a full explanation as to why.

If you can find said explanation a lot of people would love to see it.
ekbmrb Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:24pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Board games have been a popular genre for computer entertainment software for over three decades.

If this is true, then wow, that's just sad. I mean, aren't board games supposed to be a social thing? Why did anyone buy video game versions of that stuff before online multiplayer?

You're looking for a statement to clarify that there's never been a statement?

How on Earth did you come to that conclusion?
ekbmrb Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:24pm 
If you can find said explanation a lot of people would love to see it.

Me included. That's sort of the whole point of this topic.
Last edited by ekbmrb; Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:26pm
-Z- Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:27pm 
If this is true, then wow, that's just sad. I mean, aren't board games supposed to be a social thing? Why did anyone buy video game versions of that stuff before online multiplayer?
Once upon a time, and I know this might be hard for you to believe, but games had this thing called "local multiplayer."
ekbmrb Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:29pm 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Once upon a time, and I know this might be hard for you to believe, but games had this thing called "local multiplayer."
I'm fully aware of this, what I'm saying is: why not just buy the actual game?
-Z- Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:30pm 
I'm fully aware of this, what I'm saying is: why not just buy the actual game?
Did you not see what I'd said earlier about a lack of cleanup for digital versions and the potential for lost pieces?
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:08pm