Steam Greenlight
Browse screenshots
I'd love to browse greenlight games by their screenshots.

I'd like to just be able to browse a long list of decently sized screenshots, and click the ones that look interesting.

The way games are listed now (with icons/artwork) does not provide me with nearly as much context as a screenshot would. Clicking each project in order to view screenshots doesn't feel streamlined, especially since page load times can be a bit sluggish. Watching an embedded 640x360 YouTube video is also not ideal.

If anything, I just think adding an extra section to greenlight where the static images from projects can be rated separately and link to the game pages would be nice.

Edit: The Community section already has this feature, for example. It provides a space where uploaded screenshots are voted on, commented on, and also provides links to the game pages themselves.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on meatspace; 8.7.2013 klo 13.44
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 19 kommentista
Jay 8.7.2013 klo 12.19 
ok
Thanks for your input.
You can turn off the video autoplay from any project's page and that applies to Greenlight as a whole, just FYI.
I'd just like to see a dedicated page that exclusively allows the browsing of greenlight screenshots. Autoplay isn't really my issue, it's more like how tiny the video window is.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on meatspace; 8.7.2013 klo 13.36
meatspace lähetti viestin:
Autoplay isn't really my issue, it's more like how tiny the video window is.
Click fullscreen or 'Watch on YouTube' and selected your preferred size. Problem solved.
can't you maximize the vid?
and cant you use the regular que to browse games and only look at the screenshots?
press "no, not interested" on the games that doesnt interest you and then press the next item button.
Again, my primary suggestion pertains to screenshots. I'd love to be able to browse screenshots from the greenlight catalogue.

That's all I'm saying.
So would those projects where the devs post stacks of screenshots take up pages of the screemshot catalogue or would the system just pick a few? Would it automatically pick the first ones, a random selection or would the devs have to choose a specific batch of screenshots to best represent the game? If the devs don't believe that merely showing a few screenshots out of context best represents their game, could they opt out of having their game in this screenshot catalogue?

Does seem like little benefit compared to simply clicking the games in question.
Well, I was thinking of something similar to the "Home" page of the Community section--or the screenshots tab of the community section. The screenshots change fairly frequently based on what the community is voting for. There is plenty of variety there.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on meatspace; 8.7.2013 klo 13.16
Skoardy lähetti viestin:

Does seem like little benefit compared to simply clicking the games in question.

I would've said the same thing about the screenshots tab in the Community section of Steam--except every time I look at it, I see many games that I never would've noticed before. High-res screenshots of games and bare gameplay videos are more valuable to consumers than well-crafted PR, advertisements, colorful artwork, etc.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on meatspace; 8.7.2013 klo 13.30
To me it seems like a weird an cumbersome way to showcase games. Does anyone else like to browse games like this as far as you know?
GorlomSwe lähetti viestin:
To me it seems like a weird an cumbersome way to showcase games. Does anyone else like to browse games like this as far as you know?

The people who visit the screenshots page in the Community hub.
Aren't the community hubs all based around a single game, though? It's not like it's a mash-up of random screenshots from a pool of over a thousand games though, is it? Seems like while it might be interesting to look at, it'd serve very little purpose in promoting the games on Greenlight.
Skoardy lähetti viestin:
Aren't the community hubs all based around a single game, though? It's not like it's a mash-up of random screenshots from a pool of over a thousand games though, is it? Seems like while it might be interesting to look at, it'd serve very little purpose in promoting the games on Greenlight.

If you click Community --> Screenshots

you are shown a mashup of all currently popular game screenshots in the general community. There is a lot of variety.

You can sort by popular or most recent. Here is a link to most recent:

http://steamcommunity.com/?browsefilter=mostrecent&subsection=screenshots
Viimeisin muokkaaja on meatspace; 8.7.2013 klo 14.05
meatspace lähetti viestin:
GorlomSwe lähetti viestin:

The people who visit the screenshots page in the Community hub.
never seen that before. Does a lot of people use it? ("the people" in your answer could potentially only include you as far as I know)

It looks like it will be misrepresentative to me and does not seem to be an improvement over the current way to browse. You can still see the screenshots perfectly fine by clicking the project the normal way. (I personally just don't see how it is an improvement)

Are you imagening that there will be a possibility to sort by most popular or something? That woudl affect the way people vote and is not in Valves interest.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Gorlom[Swe]; 8.7.2013 klo 14.23
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 19 kommentista
Sivua kohden: 1530 50

Lähetetty: 8.7.2013 klo 12.15