Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Madrang Jun 26, 2013 @ 6:11pm
Would you support adding private game testing to Steam ?
I am currently working on a game project that, when i think is ready, will be posted on Greenlight. Since i paid a 100$, i was expecting to have the possibility of testing and improving my game, before posting about it publicly.

I would like to use the SteamWorks API and make sure that the services provided integrate seamlessly with the rest of the game. But i can't, since i don't have access to it or any way to test playing it through Steam.

I know that i don't need a working build before submitting on greenlight. It's just that i don't like to post about a half completed project. Steam doesn't seems to care, as shown with all the new Early Access titles. But they should also provide ways for users that want to improve on their work before posting about it.
Last edited by Madrang; Jun 26, 2013 @ 6:21pm
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 26, 2013 @ 6:31pm 
Wait.. am I reading this right? You want to do the OPOSITE of marketing the game? Why would Steam want to sell a game that isn't trying to get an audience?
Blue K Mag Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:48pm 
yes i support
-Z- Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:51pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Wait.. am I reading this right? You want to do the OPOSITE of marketing the game? Why would Steam want to sell a game that isn't trying to get an audience?
OP's wanting to test the game to be sure it can work well with the Steamworks API before marketing it, I think.
jeslyck Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:02am 
sure why not
Fat kids are harder to kidnap Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:07am 
[DFG]Patrik 117 Jun 27, 2013 @ 7:32am 
yes
acesofspades Jun 27, 2013 @ 10:06am 
The OP's idea seems intersting.
Gidiyorsun!! Jun 28, 2013 @ 7:10pm 
Arma III did something like this. They released it in Alpha with a low price point. After some testing they increased the status to beta and price aswell, and when the game is final they will release the final game + increase the prise to a fully released title's price.
I bet you could do the same in some way, but there should be an easier way to report bugs though.
Madrang Jun 29, 2013 @ 12:41am 
Not really what i want to do. Right now i have automated the update process by providing my own server. I will wait until the game is more stable before posting about it. Sadly i will have to wait and add support for the Steam API after the game is completed.

Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
OP's wanting to test the game to be sure it can work well with the Steamworks API before marketing it, I think.

I worked for lots of companies, installing and programming automated systems used in heavy production environment. You don't want to crash one of those. That is why i strongly believe in Unit Testing, Integration Testing and Reliability engineering.

I never made a game before, but i have more than 7 years of experience with C#. I should be able to develop a 2D game. And since it is my first one, it is also my first chance to show that i can develop a stable and reliable product. Not sure how much Steam Users will like it. It not really something that has been tried before. When i have something that i think is ready to show online, i'm pretty sure lots of users will be happy to post a review about it.
-Z- Jun 29, 2013 @ 1:11am 
Yeah, if the game isn't even started yet, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, even with their testing out letting devs work on integrating the API prior to being greenlit, there's still that window between being greenlit and release when you can take all the time you need to polish up whatever else is left of development, including bug testing.
Madrang Jun 29, 2013 @ 10:13pm 
Currently we have a working prototype. We are now working on what will be V1.0
Having the possibility to include SteamWorks API early in the development process could be the difference between a port and real integration.

Hopefully for us, we use a services based system with IOC and dependency injection. That will help a lot to add last minute support of Steam services. Only have to build a service provider exposing those services and the user will be able to use them without adding any other code.

I guess i don't really have a choice. We will continue development with or without Steam support.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 26, 2013 @ 6:11pm