Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
76 Jun 22, 2013 @ 10:18pm
Greenlight has its own section... So should Alpha/Betas... this is not kickstarter
Alphas/Betas need there own section like greenlight.... steam is a comercial platform not a fundraiser site.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
-Z- Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:40am 
They do. It's called "Early Access."
76 Jun 23, 2013 @ 4:59am 
Its mixed with all the full releases though... or have I missed something?
-Z- Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:10am 
The parts where they're all clearly labeled as being "Early Access" and having their own tab in the store like the Free-To-Play games which combine to ensure that you know that a title is still an "Early Access" title before you have a chance to purchase it, perhaps?

Also, the part where being in alpha/beta means a project is well beyond the Kickstarter phase might have been missed, too.
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:25am 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Also, the part where being in alpha/beta means a project is well beyond the Kickstarter phase might have been missed, too.
That might not be entirely true. I've seen games in playable alpha states tht has done (successful) kickstarters.
or do you mean that projects in early access alpha is well beyond kickstarter? That I can agree on
-|WaD|- BigMike Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:50am 
Personally, I think that each Greenlight entry should have a clear status slapped next to the name (preferably in parentheses and red) ...

Concept - Game is in design stage and exists as art and/or early, unplayable code.
Development - AKA pre-alpha. Game is playable but still being developed.
Alpha - Game has moved into a testing state. It may be lacking some minor features. It is probably lacking a lot of art.
Beta - Game is feature and art complete. It is being tested for bugs and/or having bugs fixed.
Gamma - AKA Release Candidate. Game is ready to sell. It is art and feature complete...and bug free

Example:
GameXYZ (Alpha)
-Z- Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:59am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
That might not be entirely true. I've seen games in playable alpha states tht has done (successful) kickstarters.
or do you mean that projects in early access alpha is well beyond kickstarter? That I can agree on
More of the latter, yes. They're in an alpha state far enough along that Valve has agreed to allow them to sell it as-is. Some have even already completed kickstarters prior to being made available through the Early Access program, such as Planitary Annihilation.
-Z- Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:00am 
Originally posted by -|WaD|- BulletMagnet:
Personally, I think that each Greenlight entry should have a clear status slapped next to the name (preferably in parentheses and red) ...

Concept - Game is in design stage and exists as art and/or early, unplayable code.
Alpha - Game has moved into a testing state. It may be lacking some minor features. It is probably lacking a lot of art.
Beta - Game is feature and art complete. It is being tested for bugs and/or having bugs fixed.
Gamma - AKA Release Candidate. Game is ready to sell. It is art and feature complete...and bug free

Example:
GameXYZ (Alpha)
What would be the point of that? Besides, there's already a separate section within Greenlight for concepts.
AusSkiller Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:19am 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
What would be the point of that? Besides, there's already a separate section within Greenlight for concepts.
Agreed, the only thing that matters for greenlight is if the game is just a concept or if it is actually in development and that is already covered, though it would be beneficial to the developers to clearly label their game as in early development if their screenshots and videos are not representative of the final quality otherwise they'll be judged much more harshly.
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 23, 2013 @ 9:47am 

Example:
GameXYZ (Alpha)

What you call development is alpha for me, and what you call alpha is a sliding scale of alpha and into late beta.
What you call beta is as far as I'm concerned stresstesting (or ready for release by EA standards).
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jun 23, 2013 @ 9:48am
-|WaD|- BigMike Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:40pm 
What you call development is alpha for me, and what you call alpha is a sliding scale of alpha and into late beta.
What you call beta is as far as I'm concerned stresstesting (or ready for release by EA standards).

It is not what "I call" things, but what IBM (who coined these terms) calls them, and wikipedia confirms it (not to say that wikipedia is an ultimate authority).

As for why do we need it:
1) There seems to be an ongoing confusion over delays from when a game is greenlit to when it is released.
2) It would indicate how far along it is (useful for judging screenshots/videos)
3) It would indicate how far release is away...to an extent
-Z- Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:42pm 
So we "need" it because:
1. People are stupid.
2. People are too lazy to ask the devs of a project.
3. People are too lazy to ask the devs of a project.

Hmm.. I don't think we need it. We just need people to not be so stupid and lazy.
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:03pm 

It is not what "I call" things, but what IBM (who coined these terms) calls them, and wikipedia confirms it (not to say that wikipedia is an ultimate authority).
Doesn't really matter if devs insist on useing them differently. I've seen quite a few devs use those terms in a manner inconsistent to wikipedias definitions.

All it is going to do is cause a lot of confusion imo.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 22, 2013 @ 10:18pm