The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
laverinth Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:50am
A small mod request?
I'm not a modder. All the scripting makes my eyes bleed. There's only one mod I want to make, since I can't find anything this simple anywhere, and I'm hoping maybe if I mention it someone can either just toss me a code or point me to an existing mod I missed. Here's what I want: An item, a bridle, that will count as a quest item. You get one and you can find it somewhere in the first town. With it in your inventory, it would allow you to catch an ownerless horse in the wild (It would bring up some "use bridal" option if the horse met the criteria). It doesn't even allow you to steal. The horse must be one you can just hop on. It would put the item in its inventory, and as long as it's there there horse belongs to you and acts like any horse you can get from the stables. You'd then have the option to "remove bridal" on that horse if you found another you liked. That's what I want right there, just for the roleplay aspect. I don't want horses added or bags on horses or any other fancy features - just that. Being able to pick up one unowned horse. It seems like such a small thing. And like I said, an existing mod that does this would be good, as long as, if it has other options, I could choose to only use the horse taming part.
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:07am 
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused =/
I don't really understand what you want the item to do. All wild horses I've seen act like all the horses I've owned >.< Admittedly, I've used very few of each :P

What are the features that you want to be able to tag onto wild horses? (Also, where would one get the item model for the item? Is there an in-game item whose model can be used?)

I won't promise anything, but if it is easy to make and easy to test, I may be inclined to try ^.^ But I wanna know exactly what it'll entail first >.<
Sweet Jesus Tender Bunzzzzzz 21 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:07am 
spounds hard, your going to have to directly ask someof the really expierenced moders to do somthing like that, im afraid my modding skills and that good yet, sorry.
Sweet Jesus Tender Bunzzzzzz 21 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:08am 
U would have to make your own mesh design!
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:13am 
Originally posted by Jesus of Funk:
U would have to make your own mesh design!
That depends entirely on what unheard.rain wants. It sounds like he/she mainly wants it for functionality. There may be a way to do this that uses already made in-game meshes.

It would be much too taxing to ask for a new one, unless there's already a resource out there with one (not that i've seen one before =/)
laverinth Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:13am 
It doesn't really matter what it looks like. I figured someone could just use the same model as the scrap of leather or something. Maybe just make it a different color.

As for the wild horses, you can use one but when you dismount it'll just wander off back to where you found it. A horse you own will stay where you leave it as long as it's your active horse. It would work like Frost or the Dark Brotherhood horse that have no stables of their own.
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:14am 
for instance, maybe something like 'taming carrots' or 'taming apples' to persuade the horse to be temporarily owned.

That may be much easier to handle.

Btw, is there a horse ownership transfer script or resource? Never messed with horses before, and I doubt it's as simple as scripting a change in ownership =/ (If it is, then this would be cake :3)
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:16am 
Originally posted by unheard.rain:
It doesn't really matter what it looks like. I figured someone could just use the same model as the scrap of leather or something. Maybe just make it a different color.

As for the wild horses, you can use one but when you dismount it'll just wander off back to where you found it. A horse you own will stay where you leave it as long as it's your active horse. It would work like Frost or the Dark Brotherhood horse that have no stables of their own.

Hmmm~ By "Dark Brotherhood" horse, do you mean Shadowmere? I'll look him up, along with some other horses, and try a few things. But I'm currently workin' on other stuff >.< and won't spend much time on it if it's more difficult then a simple answer.

If I think I'm making leeway, I'll come back and ask you to friend me (I'd make it a private workshop item.) You can test it and see if it's to your liking.

work for you? ^.^
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:17am 
I should note that I don' use horses much, so I won't really be able to tell between it working how you want and not >.<

edit: sorry for lotsa posts =/

edit2: changing colors of items is actually an annoying process ~_~ (at least for me, who dislikes the programs needed).
Last edited by Adura; Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:18am
laverinth Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:19am 
I have no idea what sort of script it is. And there doesn't really need to be a bridle. That was just one option - tying it to an item.

If all the mod did was allow you to "own" a wild horse, that would be fine. There are a couple mods that do that already, but they all have all this extra horse stuff that comes along with it and all I'm really looking for is that one option.

EDIT: I just know it's something you can't do with an in-game fix.
Last edited by laverinth; Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:20am
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:51am 
Status update:
Made a misc. item using the 'leather strips' mesh/model.
Made horses pickpocketable, so you can put things into an inventory for this to work (untested)
Working on a script.
the script does the following:
1) Activates when it changes containers (i.e.: if you put it in your inventory, a chest, a horse or npc inventory)
2) When changing containers, it will locate the actor that is nearest, check that the actor is the container, and check that it is a horse. (This is just a roundabout, but effective, way of making sure that I can get the actor ID of the horse you put the item in.)
3) Currently working on changing the horses factions, which is being copied and modified from the stable 'buy a horse' script.

Have not finished the script or tested yet.

^_^

edit: update2:
4) Script now stores the previous faction owner. When the item is removed, it clears the Horse of the player faction and resets the owning faction to the previous owner.
Last edited by Adura; Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:06am
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:59am 
where would you like me to put the item (assuming it works at all)?
I'm currently thinking of putting it in Riverwood near the forge. You wanted it near the beginning area, right?

do you want the borrowed horse to count towards the 'horses owned' stat? I currently have it set to yes.

edit: Time for initial testing.
Last edited by Adura; Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:13am
laverinth Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:15am 
That's a good location, yes!

And it doesn't matter to me if it counts (but I guess if anyone else uses this they might) so that's fine.

You're awesome for trying this.
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:21am 
Originally posted by unheard.rain:
That's a good location, yes!

And it doesn't matter to me if it counts (but I guess if anyone else uses this they might) so that's fine.

You're awesome for trying this.

It doesn't matter to me either, but since I'm doin' this for you (and it's an easy thing to add/remove), do you have a preference? >.<

Also, ty ^^.

edit: My attempts to make the horse a pickpocket-able creature seem to have failed, which makes the bridle useless. I will try a few more things. If they don't work, I'm done tryin' >.<
Last edited by Adura; Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:31am
laverinth Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:36am 
We'll go with "yes" then.

That's okay. It was good of you to try in the first place.
Adura 1 Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:45am 
Might've found a work-around, if you're willing to use a nexus mod.

There's one that allegedly makes horses have inventories. I looked at their stuff, and it looks complicated (they attached a scripted spell to the horse, and altered a bunch of other aspects of the race, to get it to work.). They also add a bunch of other stuff - if you don't want that, then I understand.
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:50am