Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Sephnroth Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:23pm
handling multiplayer for greenlight
just google searched for greenlight forum and this is what i got, sorry if there is a separate developer forum somewhere but im wondering about the best way to handle multiplayer if i finish porting my game from XBLIG to steam greenlight. Is there an existing greenlight api for lobbys and match making like with XBLIG or should i roll my own? thanks.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
wilco64256 Jun 7, 2013 @ 1:12pm 
I don't think you understand what Greenlight is at all. Read the "About Greenlight" tab please.
Sgt.Psycho Jun 7, 2013 @ 5:19pm 
Well if Sephnroth is a dev, then it probably is on topic for Greenlight, or at least more on topic than half the rubbish posted around here.

Sadly I don't know of any such feature, but with (counts em) 388 multiplayer games, I'm sure some dev here knows the answer.
wilco64256 Jun 7, 2013 @ 6:11pm 
If he is a dev, then he still needs to learn what Greenlight is. "Greenlight" and "API" don't even belong in the same sentence. Greenlight isn't any kind of system that you specifically program for in any way. Greenlight and XBLIG aren't even apples and oranges, it's more like Apples and Cars. They don't even serve the same purpose.
Sephnroth Jun 9, 2013 @ 3:37am 
mindwedge - thats the information i wanted, thankyou :) Yes I *am* aware you dont port "to" greenlight, bad phrasing, i meant port "for" greenlight. Releasing for xbox indies they provide an api for basic integration with xbl services. I started porting my game last year to pc with intention of releasing on steam and have finished the port except for multiplayer and during the process steam released greenlight. I knew if releasing the traditional way on steam you get access to the steamworks api but was unsure if greenlight devs had access to the same sdk (on xblig you get a cut down version of the XBL libs). Your answer is perfect and i will grab it.

extra question as im here - if using the steam matchmaking services from the sdk does it support ways of testing the code and checking multiplayer works BEFORE entering into greenlight?

thanks
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 9, 2013 @ 7:05am 
Originally posted by Sephnroth:
mindwedge - thats the information i wanted, thankyou :) Yes I *am* aware you dont port "to" greenlight, bad phrasing, i meant port "for" greenlight. Releasing for xbox indies they provide an api for basic integration with xbl services. I started porting my game last year to pc with intention of releasing on steam and have finished the port except for multiplayer and during the process steam released greenlight.
I'm a bit miffed still, having your game on Greenlight isn't any form of release. Greenlight is the waitingroom for Steam. Your phrasing has confused me since the start.
wilco64256 Jun 9, 2013 @ 9:10am 
You cannot *use* the Steamworks SDK officially as part of your game until it gets through Greenlight and is approved for release on the Steam store.
GRacia ROmanioli Jun 9, 2013 @ 10:37am 
Коммент.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:23pm