Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Windy May 31, 2013 @ 12:48pm
Greenlight seems to be plain wrong
Is it just me or greenlighting the games mostly concern the publicity of games ? Not that much of a quality ? This system is plain wrong and need to be changed in some kind of way. So many great games seems to be stuck inside the endless queue just for lack spamming and begging for votes.
Showing 1-15 of 249 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] May 31, 2013 @ 1:33pm 
While I see your point Valves concern is that of making money and selling games that as many of their cutomers WANT to buy, This has the unfortunate sideeffect that it becomes a publicity game. But Greenlight seems to be acomplishing what it is intended, better to have games that people wants to buy rather than high quality (for what ever measure of quality) games that noone wants.
wilco64256 May 31, 2013 @ 2:26pm 
Selling games primarily depends on the publicity of the games, so why shouldn't Greenlighting them work exactly the same way?
-Z- May 31, 2013 @ 4:07pm 
If they can't advertise their game well enough to get people to click "yes," then it's probable that they wouldn't be able to advertise it well enough to get people to actually pay money.
Opal May 31, 2013 @ 4:29pm 
Most Greenlight games aren't good. Some are fantastic, but they are either not greenlit, or not released. (Hell, the PZ devs won't even release the DEMO.)
Kiritsu Games May 31, 2013 @ 5:38pm 
delusion mode on

Noooo, not at all... The system is perfect. Inside press contacts and established followings from previous games have nothing to do with Greenlight success. Games with more votes are the best ones. Any unknown game from a new dev can jump right into number one if it's good.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the world economy, and humans are not harming the environment.

delusion mode off
-Z- May 31, 2013 @ 5:40pm 
Originally posted by Kiritsu Games:
butthurt mode on

Noooo, not at all... The system is perfect. Inside press contacts and established followings from previous games have nothing to do with Greenlight success. Games with more votes are the best ones. Any unknown game from a new dev can jump right into number one if it's good.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the world economy, and humans are not harming the environment.

butthurt mode off
Fix'd.
Kiritsu Games May 31, 2013 @ 5:47pm 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Fix'd.
Thanks for proving my point by not removing the second paragraph.
-Z- May 31, 2013 @ 5:50pm 
Originally posted by Kiritsu Games:
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Fix'd.
Thanks for proving my point by not removing the second paragraph.
Just makes the butthurt nature of your post all the more evident. Makes the lack of perspective all the more obvious.

Because your personal inability to succeed in a system that others are succeeding in is totally a problem with the system and not how you're going about trying to use it and is most definitely comparable to global economic issues and how people have a tendency to devastate the environment. Not getting your project accepted absolutely coincides with such things.

Wait, I guess your having used the word "delusion" is actually rather accurate, but just not the way you intended.
Last edited by -Z-; May 31, 2013 @ 5:52pm
Jimbo Jun 1, 2013 @ 3:26pm 
There are some true beauties in the midst of... "half baked games".

I've been very impressed with how some of the independent RPGs have been coming out of the woodwork, and I say "woodwork" with great fondness.
Skoardy Jun 1, 2013 @ 4:01pm 
OP - quick question; Is your definition of quality/great games the same as everyone else's?
Windy Jun 2, 2013 @ 1:53pm 
I believe it is.
wilco64256 Jun 2, 2013 @ 2:36pm 
Originally posted by Windy:
I believe it is.

Then you're very sadly mistaken. Game quality is entirely based on personal preference and opinion. Assuming that everyone else looks for the exact same criteria as you for a quality game is a really bad assumption to make.
-Z- Jun 2, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
Originally posted by Windy:
I believe it is.
So you think you can go through Greenlight, find ten games that haven't been greenlit but you think are of quality, and everyone else will have voted on them, too? 'cause that would be the result of your definition of quality/great games being the same as everyone else's.
Sgt.Psycho Jun 2, 2013 @ 5:25pm 
Greenlight is doing what it is doing. If there aren't enough votes to greenlight something then obviously there also isn't enough interest to buy it either.

Valve have said they have finite resources to spend on getting games Steam-ready, so it makes sense they're not going to waste their time on losers that won't make them lots of money.

No offense to any dev, but that's what this system is about. It not about 'fairness', it's not about being right, it's about making Valve money. It's as simple as that.
Sera Jun 2, 2013 @ 11:59pm 
And sadly with this logic, if we consider the haters, mean people with silly opinions (No I don't judge which opinions are silly but you know who those kind of people are) and other idiots who auto-vote no for no reasons, we find games that will never be greenlit but should be. The same goes for the opposite situation... I fear the worst when it comes to leave choices to internet people. It always seems to end wrong.

I'm totally fine with Greenlight giving a chance to new devs to introduce their games but at the end, there are more losers than winners in this concept. Yes, I get that the system works based on interest and income but I still think it's crap.

Greenlight IS a good idea but I only dislike how the games I know that are good are left behind and never looked at again while new games and yes, equally good for some of them, are more hyped on.

Also, to Wilco above, I personally don't see quality based on opinions myself. Whenever I look at a game, I don't really judge them upon if I like them or not but rather on if they display quality or not. There are many games I don't like and yet I have to acknowledge the efforts put on their quality. It's just like that... Many people may or not like a game but it doesn't change that some of them still display lot of quality and potential, should it be graphics or gameplay. My way of thinking could be wrong, that said but I think it's about right. Feel free to correct me if you like, of course.
Showing 1-15 of 249 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 31, 2013 @ 12:48pm