Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 1:53pm
what's the point of greenlighting games
if you guys take months to release them?
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
jeslyck Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
Who are you guys?
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:15pm 
Originally posted by jeslyck:
Who are you guys?

the heads of greenlight aka Valve
Thordred Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:25pm 
I can imagine that developers don't mind knowing as soon as possible that their games will be sold on Steam.
I personally, as a Steam user, am glad to see a game that I'm excited about getting greenlit, even it is still in development and won't be released for months or in some cases even years.
And I like following the development of games on their Greenlight profiles, some devs post updates quite frequently.
Last edited by Thordred; Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:26pm
AusSkiller Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:38pm 
Originally posted by kijib:
Originally posted by jeslyck:
Who are you guys?
*sigh*, I really wish people would take the time to learn how things actually work before before blaming someone completely uninvolved for something that is fundamentally just their own poor understanding of reality and uninformed assumptions.

Valve do not take months to release games, the developers submitting games to greenlight are unlikely to have completed development on the games they submit so when they are greenlit the developer couldn't release it because it's not finished. And before you make an fool of yourself and say the games should be completed before submitting to greenlight you should understand that it is very costly to develop games. Each developer usually costs $50k+ per year (a little over $4k per month) and often there's at least 2-5 developers on even the smallest games, so it costs $8k to $20k per month to keep a development team together. Since the greenlight process can take several months before you get greenlit if you wait until you finish the game before you submit it you then have to be paying the developers to do nothing for the months while you wait for the game to get greenlit and if it takes 3 months then that would cost $24k to $60k which could be enough to bankrupt small developers preventing them releasing the game at all. So forcing developers to wait until their game is completed before they can submit to greenlight is a ridiculous notion.
Last edited by AusSkiller; Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:40pm
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:40pm 
They will be released when they're good and ready for release.
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:40pm 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
*sigh*, I really wish people would take the time to learn how things actually work before before blaming someone completely uninvolved for something that is fundamentally just their own poor understanding of reality and uninformed assumptions.

Valve do not take months to release games, the developers submitting games to greenlight are unlikely to have completed development on the games they submit so when they are greenlit the developer couldn't release it because it's not finished. And before you make an fool of yourself and say the games should be completed before submitting to greenlight you should understand that it is very costly to develop games. Each developer usually costs $50k+ per year (a little over $4k per month) and often there's at least 2-5 developers on even the smallest games, so it costs $8k to $20k per month to keep a development team together. Since the greenlight process can take several months before you get greenlit if you wait until you finish the game before you submit it you then have to be paying the developers to do nothing for the months while you wait foe the game to get greenlit and if it takes 3 months then that would cost $24k to $60k which could be enough to bankrupt small developers preventing them releasing the game at all. So forcing developers to wait until their game is completed before they can submit to greenlight is a ridiculous notion.

think again buddy, most of the 50 greenlit games are completely done like Black Mesa yet only 16 have actually come out, it's been so long i think they forgot they were supposed to release games they greenlight
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:42pm 
think again buddy, most of the 50 greenlit games are completely done like Black Mesa yet only 16 have actually come out, it's been so long i think they forgot they were supposed to release games they greenlight
Dragon's Lair. Your argument is invalid.
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:45pm 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Dragon's Lair. Your argument is invalid.

what? Your response made no sense lol
Last edited by kijib; Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:45pm
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:50pm 
Dragon's Lair was originally released in the early 80's. It was Greenlit three months ago. It's still not released yet because it really does take this long for the Steam coding to be integrated and everything to be prepared.

Valve aren't about to slap games up in the store until they're good and ready and everything has been integrated properly (unless they want a repeat of Towns).

The games will be released when they're ready. Greenlighting is simply the process by which games are cleared to begin integrating said Steam coding.
AusSkiller Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
*FACEPALM*
No. Black Mesa is not complete. IIRC the devs said that they would wait till it was complete before they released it on Steam, they still have to complete the Xen chapters.

Dragon's Lair was originally released in the early 80's. It was Greenlit three months ago. It's still not released yet because it really does take this long for the Steam coding to be integrated and everything to be prepared.

Valve aren't about to slap games up in the store until they're good and ready and everything has been integrated properly (unless they want a repeat of Towns).

The games will be released when they're ready. Greenlighting is simply the process by which games are cleared to begin integrating said Steam coding.
Actually there were some rumors that they are waiting to release it in June to coincide with the 30th anniversary so it might not just be the time to do the Steam integration in the case of Dragon's Lair.
Last edited by AusSkiller; Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:56pm
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:56pm 

that's why i said "some"
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 2:57pm 
*FACEPALM*
No. Black Mesa is not complete. IIRC the devs said that they would wait till it was complete before they released it on Steam, they still have to complete the Xen chapters.

Actually there were some rumors that they are waiting to release it in June to coincide with the 30th anniversary so it might not just be the time to do the Steam integration in the case of Dragon's Lair.

it's still playable through steam so...
AusSkiller Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:03pm 
Playable does not mean complete, just look at Towns, that was perfectly playable and I even had a heap of fun with it, but by no stretch of the imagination was it complete or even ready for a proper release.
kijib Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:05pm 
Playable does not mean complete, just look at Towns, that was perfectly playable and I even had a heap of fun with it, but by no stretch of the imagination was it complete or even ready for a proper release.

la mulana, un epic, cry of fear, etc all been out for quite a while and yet to be released on steam
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:08pm 
If that's the case, then they could list their release date for June rather than "Early 2013."
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 9, 2013 @ 1:53pm