Steam Greenlight
jleem21 Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:00pm
Awesome Idea for a Game
But I have no experience with any game developing or programming software.
Is there anyone out there that'll just let me pitch my idea? I have everything written in my personal books pretty much expanding and elaborating on what I feel WILL be an insanely fun and popular game if it were created. I'll end this with a yes; I believe 100% with utmost adamance that this game will be BIGGER than Castle Crashers.....I said it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Delph Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:22pm 
The problem here is that ideas are cheap and easy - every game dev has lots of their own big ideas that they want to try. The issue often comes upon implementation - what seems like a great idea on paper doesn't work so well when its actually coded and needs to be altered. Your best bet to get the game developed is to learn some coding skills and try to get something together that shows your game off then talk to people about it.
MAHツ Mar 2, 2013 @ 4:02pm 
Originally posted by jleem21:
But I have no experience with any game developing or programming software.
Is there anyone out there that'll just let me pitch my idea? I have everything written in my personal books pretty much expanding and elaborating on what I feel WILL be an insanely fun and popular game if it were created. I'll end this with a yes; I believe 100% with utmost adamance that this game will be BIGGER than Castle Crashers.....I said it.

JLEE,

Don't give up :) Ideas might be cheap but great ideas are PRICELESS :)

What you should try to do is find some people who have talents in programming games who may not have a great idea or who may work for a fee or if they believe in your idea maybe as a team w/ you.

Try a site like: https://www.elance.com/p/lpg/programming/game-programmers-hire?rid=1TN5N&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=C%20-%20IT%20&%20Programming%20-%20Exact&utm_term=hire%20game%20programmer&ad=19753366938&bmt=e&adpos=1t1&gclid=CN7C59ye37UCFcdxQgodiDQA3Q

Where you can contect w/ programmers.

Nothing worth ANYTHING is easy, this wont be either. good luck! :)
Last edited by MAHツ; Mar 2, 2013 @ 4:03pm
YOLOSWAGJUICE Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:24am 
Write, write, write and don't share with others unless they sign an NDA. Idea's are priceless and should be treated as such. If you do have a million dollar idea you definitely do not want someone taking it.

Start to self educate yourself on the language in terms of game development, become familier with the bases of development, art and writing so that you can assemble a team together. I'm currently in pre-production for a project with a background artist/character artist with myself as the lead writer and character designer. I know the language to a certain extent and this has made it much easier for me to work or speak with people interested on working on the project.

Be prepared for your idea to take years to come to even the simplist of manifestation, but do not get encouraged. Write it all down, improve on it. Learn about critical thinking and writing with regards to interactive media and always improve and be open to the experiences and input of those around you.

Best of luck
Salty Tears Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:31am 
Ideas are a dime a dozen
Stormynature Mar 3, 2013 @ 3:31am 
There are a number of Game development sites out there that can assist you in learning the fundamentals of game creation for example "gamedev.net"
Snaeng Mar 3, 2013 @ 10:42am 
You should share your idea here.
Skoardy Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:00am 
Have to agree with Delph, it's rare to run into anyone already involved with game development that doesn't have a barrel of game ideas of their own. The need for (amateur, inexperienced or unproven) designers, who don't have a feel for other areas is quite low.
MAHツ Mar 3, 2013 @ 12:34pm 
Originally posted by Snaeng:

LMAO, I love this :)
gargamell999 Mar 3, 2013 @ 4:23pm 
JLEEM21 if you have not been following the boot camp thread, please reed through some of it. just remember that MY idea of a army buck privit in boot camp was JUST a throw away idea. read through and look at the philisofical mess that it is causing.
Originally posted by gargamell999:
JLEEM21 if you have not been following the boot camp thread, please reed through some of it. just remember that MY idea of a army buck privit in boot camp was JUST a throw away idea. read through and look at the philisofical mess that it is causing.
Boot camp's a tutorial level and grind. Proposing that someone make a game out of such is going to be questioned. Only thing that'd make it a more questionable idea is to make the chores all QTEs.
Last edited by A Gelatinous Cube-Z-; Mar 3, 2013 @ 4:29pm
Feraele Mar 3, 2013 @ 8:55pm 
Originally posted by Snaeng:

But copyright it FIRST...better yet don't share it. :D
AusSkiller Mar 4, 2013 @ 3:51am 
I'm just going to be brutally honest (sorry but there are just too many people that value their game ideas too highly), a game idea usually only takes a week or two of work to come up with and develop into a proper game design, compared to the usual minimum 6 months to the far more likely several years of work it takes for a small team to make a quality game the amount that you bring to game development table is negligible. So it's highly unlikely you'll be able to convince anyone to do all the work for you unless you truly have the greatest idea ever (and that's extremely unlikely given your lack of game development experience) and are granting them a significant share of the profits (over 90%) and all the rights to the IP. The other option is to pay a dev team to make your game, that way you can keep the profit and rights, but most developers won't accept jobs for less than $50k per year, and you are likely to need at least 2-5 developers so unless you have $200k just lying around then don't get your hopes up.

As others have mentioned you might be able to find some developers looking to contribute to the development of a game on certain websites, but the truth of the matter is that the last thing a potential game developer needs is an idea, every potential game developer has several of their own that they would rather work on already. Usually the only reason they aren't working on their own ideas is that they lack the skills/knowledge to complete their game themselves, like an artist that can't write code or a programmer that can't make decent art, so generally when such people team up at least one of them gets their game made and if things go well can then return the favor and help with the others game. Since you lack the skills to potentially help with their games you will need to work very hard to find and convince both artists and programmers to help you.

IMO if you have no game development experience (and aren't willing to learn), no substantial finances and no industry contacts but a game idea that you think really will be a million+ seller then the best way to get your game made is probably to contact dev studios and under an NDA discuss the cost of them making your game, then set up a kickstarter project for at least two to three times the quoted price (got to factor in taxes, physical reward costs for higher pledges, and the inevitable going beyond quoted development cost), though you may still need to spend a fair bit of money to get a good pitch video made to show what your game would be like.

If you are willing to learn how to make a game then there's plenty of good resources available online and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. I do strongly recommend learning to do at least part of the development your self, and it's probably best to learn the programming side as without that there can be no game and it's easier to make/get art/artists than code/programmers. It's very rewarding and once you get over the initial feeling of being overwhelmed and it's actually not too hard. There was actually a good video released recently encouraging people to learn programming which is worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc
Stormynature Mar 4, 2013 @ 4:12am 
Meh when it comes to an expression of an idea -- you can sit 3 different game dev teams down give them the same idea and end up with 3 very different results -- paranioa over your idea being stolen is not justified as the expression of the idea will differ from what you yourself would have in mind. The more developed the idea i.e. generating it into a Game design document with concept art you would want to utilise NDA's where feasible. But at the end of the day you cannot protect your idea from being stolen (unless you tell noone)-- all you can do is establish you were the originator and then seek legal redress or utilise the legal penalties if an NDA is breached.
C0untzer0 Mar 4, 2013 @ 4:13am 
kill all witnesses, it's cheaper than a lawyer
Gorlom[Swe] Mar 4, 2013 @ 5:41am 
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ua9t8/iama_indie_video_game_developer_who_broke_into/

This might give you some ideas of what to expect if you go down that path. This guy says he had no skills or experience related to game development when he started. I think he even mentions where he hired guys for developing his game.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Mar 4, 2013 @ 5:43am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:00pm