Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
PBSaffran Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:20am
Games with pedigree should go through instantly
First off, I'm quite sure I posted this already last week, but somehow I can't find the thread again.
Anyway.
I voted for games on Greenlight at the beginning, then stopped altogether for various reasons.
Nowadays, I sometimes look at the greenlight frontpage and some games catch my attention - games that should not be here, in a good way.
For example, Dragon's Lair or The 7th Guest. I know that DL is greenlit and I haven't checked the status of the 7th guest, but my point is, these two games hold historical importance in video gaming. They actually *did* write History in the medium. Why would Valve (or anybody) question their presence on Steam?
Another example, and here of course I'm biased since I voted for it, the Higurashi visual novel. Whether we like it or not, this game is a million seller. (and I'm not counting the iPhone/Android sales since I can't find any source on them) It's not a "promising" title, it's not an "award winning" title, it's a tested and proven million seller game. Again, Valve should just place it online and get it over with, it's not like they can't afford the space, is it?
I didn't follow how the process went for Kingdom Rush, but that's also a game that sold very well on mobile platforms (after being a success on free games platforms) and that somehow ended up on Steam rather fast. At least that one got here without too much trouble...
Showing 1-15 of 82 comments
< >
Erinduck Mar 1, 2013 @ 7:17am 
Higurashi sold millions of copies primarily overseas and there's no real evidence that it'd perform nearly as well to Western Audiences. Dragon's Lair is 30 years old and there's no evidence that a re-release would sell well at all considering that it's a terrible quarter eater that was only redeemed by its visuals. 7th Guest is a 20 year old puzzle FMV game pretty much and there's no evidence that it'd sell either.

Greenlight is about getting games that will sell on Steam, not about turning Steam into a museum of video gaming.
wilco64256 Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:07am 
Dreamfall Chapters is another excellent example. It's already raised over a million dollars on Kickstarter. If that isn't proof positive that it will do just fine commercially then nothing is. To me that's basically just a wasted slot on Greenlight because they should absolutely get moved through to the store without question.
wilco64256 Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:10am 
Originally posted by Erinduck:
Higurashi sold millions of copies primarily overseas and there's no real evidence that it'd perform nearly as well to Western Audiences.

Steam is an international company, they don't need to only carry titles that will sell in the US.

Dragon's Lair is 30 years old and there's no evidence that a re-release would sell well at all considering that it's a terrible quarter eater that was only redeemed by its visuals.

It's selling quite well on Nintendo portables.

7th Guest is a 20 year old puzzle FMV game pretty much and there's no evidence that it'd sell either.

Selling pretty nicely on GoG.
Erinduck Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:55am 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Higurashi sold millions of copies primarily overseas and there's no real evidence that it'd perform nearly as well to Western Audiences.

Steam is an international company, they don't need to only carry titles that will sell in the US.

"Western audiences" does not just refer to the US but pretty much everyone outside of the entire continent of Asia. There's no real evidence that this will perform will in English speaking countries as a whole which is partly evidenced by its performance on Greenlight right now.

Dragon's Lair is 30 years old and there's no evidence that a re-release would sell well at all considering that it's a terrible quarter eater that was only redeemed by its visuals.

It's selling quite well on Nintendo portables.

Lots of things sell better on the portable market than they do in the home market. Take a look at the performance of Retro City Rampage on PSN relative to the rest of the markets it's being sold on.

7th Guest is a 20 year old puzzle FMV game pretty much and there's no evidence that it'd sell either.

Selling pretty nicely on GoG.

It's an old game selling well on a market catering almost entirely to old games. This is not surprising.
lukep Mar 1, 2013 @ 11:46am 
To take a step back from debating specific examples, I think it's a good idea. Valve can greenlight anything they want, so (occasionally) choosing games that have been proven elsewhere, but not on greenlight could make sense,
jeslyck Mar 1, 2013 @ 12:05pm 
Think of it this way, if enough people like it this appears on steam.I do not think valv give a sh-it if it's a classic, what counts is can you can sell it.
Last edited by jeslyck; Mar 1, 2013 @ 12:06pm
Skoardy Mar 1, 2013 @ 12:54pm 
There have been games that appeared on Steam (post Greenlight) that didn't go through the process, didn't come from a major studio or didn't get an indie award free-pass. Somebody with a better memory than me will probably be able to name one but it has happened.

What I'm saying is that if a game you think is a shoo-in doesn't get special treatment, it's probably because Valve doesn't share your opinion. No 'they should be able to...' speculation needed. They can, but they haven't.
C0untzer0 Mar 1, 2013 @ 1:43pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
There have been games that appeared on Steam (post Greenlight) that didn't go through the process, didn't come from a major studio or didn't get an indie award free-pass. Somebody with a better memory than me will probably be able to name one but it has happened.

What I'm saying is that if a game you think is a shoo-in doesn't get special treatment, it's probably because Valve doesn't share your opinion. No 'they should be able to...' speculation needed. They can, but they haven't.
given how long it's taken some games to go from greenlit to released, something being released post greenlight is not evidence of it being admitted post greenlight.
irrevenant Mar 1, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Dreamfall Chapters is another excellent example. It's already raised over a million dollars on Kickstarter. If that isn't proof positive that it will do just fine commercially then nothing is. To me that's basically just a wasted slot on Greenlight because they should absolutely get moved through to the store without question.
As I understand it, developers who already have stuff for sale on Steam are automatically Greenlit.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall were developed by Funcom and if Funcom wants to sell something on Steam, Valve will let them straight through.

Dreamfall Chapters is being developed by "Red Thread Games". Red Thread Games employ some of the original creators of Dreamfall (and presumably have rights to the IP), but as far as Steam is concerned, the company is an unknown quantity so they need to go through the Greenlight process.

Seems reasonable enough to me.
Last edited by irrevenant; Mar 1, 2013 @ 3:05pm
Gorlom[Swe] Mar 1, 2013 @ 4:14pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
There have been games that appeared on Steam (post Greenlight) that didn't go through the process, didn't come from a major studio or didn't get an indie award free-pass.
The game "Xenonauts" isn't even in beta yet and according to the developer they made a deal with steam prior to public greenlight and doesn't need to go through the grenlight process.

That developer has made no other games so they are not getting any special treatment for showing any previous reliability.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Mar 1, 2013 @ 4:16pm
Skoardy Mar 1, 2013 @ 4:44pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
given how long it's taken some games to go from greenlit to released, something being released post greenlight is not evidence of it being admitted post greenlight.
Good point.

Originally posted by Mindwedge:
I am aware of one account by a developer who had 4 games published on Steam and when they approached Valve with a 5th they were directed to Greenlight. The person interviewed had no qualms with that, but wasn't shy about talking about it. So that pokes at least one hole in the theory.
Were the original four good sellers? I wonder if Valve were charitably saying "Your games don't perform." without having to flatly come out and say it for something on the cusp.
irrevenant Mar 1, 2013 @ 10:25pm 
Originally posted by irrevenant:
As I understand it, developers who already have stuff for sale on Steam are automatically Greenlit.

I am aware of one account by a developer who had 4 games published on Steam and when they approached Valve with a 5th they were directed to Greenlight. The person interviewed had no qualms with that, but wasn't shy about talking about it. So that pokes at least one hole in the theory.

From http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq#general

Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.

(Emphasis mine)
Last edited by irrevenant; Mar 1, 2013 @ 10:29pm
Delph Mar 1, 2013 @ 11:37pm 

From http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq#general

Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.

(Emphasis mine)

This is true but there are cases where devs have been asked to go through greenlight anyway. This is almost certainly due to poor sales on their already released games leading to Valve wanting evidence that the games actually have a reasonable following who want the game on Steam
Skoardy Mar 2, 2013 @ 2:57am 
(Emphasis mine)
Not sure why you quoted that. Does four games on Steam suggest they're 'new to Steam' to you?
C0untzer0 Mar 2, 2013 @ 6:34am 
And how about:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99329141&searchtext=I+am+weapon
Sigma Team?
SIGMA TEAM?
seriously, I know it's not their best, and "Alien Hallway" didn't do that well, but these people are solid, and have been for years.
Showing 1-15 of 82 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:20am