Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Spydrebyte Feb 23, 2013 @ 6:51pm
Collection spam
There is an(other) influx of collection spam, all with 'Elsword' surprise surprise, this time they make a collection inc a few other games- i guess to make it more legit. Wondering if this is against the rules, and should be reported? if not, it should be.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Power of Seven Feb 26, 2013 @ 3:27pm 
The reason why the spam exists is because the developers have been trolling for votes for Elsword. In November of last year, if you made a collection with Elsword in it, then you had a chance to get free in-game money. So naturally existing Elsword players spammed Greenlight.

Elsword is still offering in-game prizes to those that vote up the game and post a positive comment. Needless to say, Elsword has garnished an incredible amount of upvotes thanks to this kind of promotion. In short, Elsword is essentially buying Greenlight votes and that's (apparently) allowed under the rules.

You're welcome to Google this if you think that I'm making this up. The developers have made no attempt to hide any of this.
Spydrebyte Feb 26, 2013 @ 9:48pm 
Will those 'bought' votes translate into sales? which is the only factor Valve seems to care about atm.c

Regardless, not an excusefor spam. Ive downvoted Elsword, and any 'spam' collections i see that contains it.
Ragnarök Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:02am 
I don't much care for it either. A game that is in 45th position should never be greenlit over games that are higher up the ladder. Everybody should have to wait their turn. Even if it wasn't the dev's intention to buy votes, it's still Valve's responsibility not to endorse it by pushing aside the will of the people.
Last edited by Ragnarök; Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:02am
Feraele Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:32pm 
I guess if its done internally ( ingame ) not much to be done about it. Seems rather unfair, but again, I guess, you have to promote your product however you can. I don't think Valve's rules extend to "ingame" do they..do they have jurisdiction there, and wouldn't proof be needed anyways?
Feraele Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by Power of Seven:
The reason why the spam exists is because the developers have been trolling for votes for Elsword. In November of last year, if you made a collection with Elsword in it, then you had a chance to get free in-game money. So naturally existing Elsword players spammed Greenlight.

Elsword is still offering in-game prizes to those that vote up the game and post a positive comment. Needless to say, Elsword has garnished an incredible amount of upvotes thanks to this kind of promotion. In short, Elsword is essentially buying Greenlight votes and that's (apparently) allowed under the rules.

You're welcome to Google this if you think that I'm making this up. The developers have made no attempt to hide any of this.

Funny enough I haven't come across this game yet in my queues. Knowing what I know now..I'd be tempted to do a "vengence" vote. (made that up) just because. Not that it would have any effect, but nonetheless, that's how I feel about someone that "may" be cheating the system.
Feraele Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:07pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
It's only cheating if there's a rule being broken. The rules are few here. I don't think freedom is a bad thing though this may be one of the few areas Valve isn't currently running a tightly controlled crony capitalist system. It's up to you to judge the ethics and decide accordingly.

Maybe so...just gives me the feeling that someone has an unfair advantage here. Like I said this game hasn't even popped up in my queues, and thinking more about it I will probably view it and see if it merits a vote up.

If it doesn't, ah well, C'est la vie! :)
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:09pm 
Personally, the only "collection" I manage is what I've upvoted. I've yet to see a point to making or looking at collections, what with having already voted on everything. >.>
Feraele Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:12pm 
Originally posted by Feraele:
If it doesn't, ah well, C'est la vie! :)

Sorry, French isn't in my repertoire (or s it?). We have our own individual feelings about ethics. Be very sure that in the marketing world those things don't exist.

it means "That's life!" :)
Feraele Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:13pm 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Personally, the only "collection" I manage is what I've upvoted. I've yet to see a point to making or looking at collections, what with having already voted on everything. >.>

Well those collection lists don't interest me either, as I told the author of one of those...I prefer to make my own choices, not be led by the nose and told what I should be looking at. :)
Feraele Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:13pm 

it means "That's life!" :)

Coulda knocked me over with a feather......

Very funny :D
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:21pm 
Yeah, there are only 685 of them. Why wouldn't you examine them all?
Indeed. It's not like I've already reviewed everything they contain, and that they all contain things from the same exact content pool but simply organized around a particular notion of some sort (presumably). A game being in a collection (or not) won't make it more (or less) interesting to me.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
Well those collection lists don't interest me either, as I told the author of one of those...I prefer to make my own choices, not be led by the nose and told what I should be looking at. :)
Indeed. I like what I like, and no amount of collections or browbeating (a la exiledwhatsisface) will change that.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:51pm 
Last gaming mag I got was Game Informer, because I've only in recent years started playing more on PC than console. Even then, I was just looking at what was coming and any tech info they related. Mostly, though, I'd just get it from the mailbox and toss it aside. Only real reason I got it was because it was free with the purchase of the discount card (which more than made up for its own cost).

I just really don't give a damn what some "critic" or "reviewer" has to say about a game. I've been gaming for a good long while now. If I can't trust my own judgement, having lived inside my own head, why would I trust someone else's?
Last edited by A Gelatinous Cube-Z-; Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:52pm
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:14pm 
There's still some franchises exclusive to consoles that I enjoy, and I have a decent library of titles on the consoles that I have that I revisit from time to time.

I can understand why GI would leave out PC for the most part, though, considering the PC section in Game Stop stores is always miniscule, and console games are much more profitable for them. Trade-ins and selling the used copy is much easier to do when you don't have to bother with CD keys.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:37pm 
Game Stop seems to be dying. Last I was there it was mostly a used games recyclery.
It's been that way for quite a while. The used games side of it is their primary income source. I'd still be inclined to visit one to browse for games I've missed but am interested in, if there were one here. Otherwise, I could browse the site, but I don't know if they ship overseas.

I still have a bit of partiality for playing on a console, considering that's where my gaming roots stem from. But, for the past while and forseeable future, Steam's the much more convenient option for feeding my gaming habit.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 23, 2013 @ 6:51pm