Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Plissken Feb 23, 2013 @ 3:57pm
Dying for a classic single player RTS base building game with a map editor and big maps.
I have been waiting since supreme commander for a good long RTS that I can waste hours of time on. C&C, TA, WC3, DOW, and the like. I like COH, and I have seen upcomming titles like Planetary Annihlation, they just are not what I am looking for at the moment. The best examples I can give are C&C: Red Alert, and WC3. Green light any one??
Last edited by Plissken; Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:07pm
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Hempy F. Skywalker Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:09pm 
http://gnomoria.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92929339

This is a town building game, VERY DEEP. You have to harvest all resources, put your gnomes to works gathering. You can build AMAZING things. Similar to Minecraft but nothing like Minecraft at all. Its definately something you will spend MONTHES on. Pretty amazing lil piece of art.

It is also on greenlit on steam :) But you can buy now from their site and when released on Steam they give you key for free.
Plissken Feb 23, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will definitely be looking into this. Cheers mate =)
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 23, 2013 @ 5:47pm 
You mean "Strategy"?
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:42pm 
It's still a type of strategy and thus falls under that category. After all, as you said, it's "real time" strategy.
Skoardy Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:00am 
It certainly does seem like if you're into Real Time Strategy games, your first port of call would be to look through the Strategy category. I'm sure it's probably choking with RTS games compared to Platforming or Adventure.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:09am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
It certainly does seem like if you're into Real Time Strategy games, your first port of call would be to look through the Strategy category. I'm sure it's probably choking with RTS games compared to Platforming or Adventure.
Or, particularly, how Action and Adventure are being flooded with Platforming because people treat them like "catch-all" tags.
C0untzer0 Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:33am 
I'm going to interject a little knowledge from the other side of the barricades:
1 Making a good RTS is waaaaay hard. Not so much the actual playability, but balancing the sides is a beast of a task (Even Red Alert got it badly wrong, and that was one of the best).
2 Publishers HATE RTS games because major publishers believe Metacritic scores. They all want to follow on whatever scored 85 or higher, and ignore teams working on anytrhing else. It's hard enough getting a RPG past them, they never bite on a RTS
3 The average Steam customer has been following the major publishers' lead for too long, getting one past Greenlight would be a major feat.
4 Developers are sick of getting no support for difficult projects, so they rarely make a good RTS, and insteda go for Turret games, which have many similar features, but only take about 20% of the effort.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:20am 
Originally posted by Hempy Hustle:
What does this mean?

he didnt mean STRATEGY like you asked him he ment RTS, RTS doesn't fall under STRATEGY man, 2 completely different game types. RTS is RTS, Strategy is strategy. Is that hard to understand?
Yes, I have a difficult time understanding stupidity.

Tell me, what does the "S" in "RTS" stand for, if not "Strategy"? Because, if it is "Strategy," then an RTS game is, in fact, a "Strategy" game.

Yes, turn-based and real-time are different forms of play, but they are both strategy, nonetheless.
Skoardy Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:21am 
Of course Real Time Strategy games are Strategy. It's a sub-genre that merely refers to the way it's played (in real time rather using turns).
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:24am 
Of course Real Time Strategy games are Strategy. It's a sub-genre that merely refers to the way it's played (in real time rather using turns).
Indubitably. *adjusts imaginary monocle*
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:42am 
Person was asking for a category in which to find RTS games. I told him which one. I phrased it as a question because there's no way to know if the person was aware of the "Strategy" search tag.

Not my fault that you don't want to accept that subgenres are categorized by core genre.
Last edited by A Gelatinous Cube-Z-; Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:44am
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:24am 
You are too quick in calling him a troll Hempy. He is technically correct, from his point of view. But you fail to explain to him that you aren't interested in trodging through all the strategy games that isn't RTS.
He is acting under the premise that looking through every game is the correct way to use greenlight while you only look to look at the games you could possibly be interested in. Therefor the strategy tag isn't interesting since it encompasses so much more useless and annoying stuff (that you presumably don't have time to look at).

You are both right and neither are trying to cause a confrontation/flamewar. You just have different point of views and axioms on which you build your case.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:26am
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:42am 
Originally posted by Hempy Hustle:
Man you are just dillusional. He never asked for CATGORY for NOTHING. he asked about a game. I gave him a game.
Originally posted by 2D:
I might have found this if steam had an RTS category when searching for games.
Yep. He never brought up cateogries. No, sirree.

He said thank you and that he might have FOUND the game his self if steam had a RTS section.
Category.

They your stupid ♥♥♥ comes in telling us did you mean STRATEGY we say no, and now it's this.
Except that that is, in fact, the category under which RTS games are found, which was what he was wanting. It simply isn't subgenre-specific.

MOVE ON MAN!
.org?

You were wrong now you are just a troll.
You might have a point, except that I wasn't and I'm not. However, you are rather entertaining to play with, although one wonders why you react so viciously to having information sought be provided.
Skoardy Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:04am 
Zaxoth was right all along, Hempy Hustle. The guy was complaining there's no RTS category and Zaxoth pointed out they'd be in Strategy. You've basically been throwing insults at him for your misunderstanding of the situation.
Elizerection Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:57pm 
Zaxoth was right all along, Hempy Hustle. The guy was complaining there's no RTS category and Zaxoth pointed out they'd be in Strategy. You've basically been throwing insults at him for your misunderstanding of the situation.

There are 220 entries in the "Strategy" category. Of the ones that come up immediately, one is a Qix clone, one is a twin stick shooter, one is an adventure game, and a handful of them are casual cash-in titles. The lack of proper genre sorting and genre exclusion in searches in Greenlight is a long-standing problem. Actually finding -anything- in the current category system is a pain in the ♥♥♥.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2013 @ 3:57pm