Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Caelistas Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:38pm
No more mobile games on greenlight!
I'm tired of all these crap devs trying to do a quick port job and get their tablet/phone games on steam so they can make some easy money.

Worst of all is that i see idiots defending those practices, and practically supporting them.

What is wrong with you people?
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Spydrebyte Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:20pm 
Dont like them? dont vote for them. Dont like the system? dont use it.
Caelistas Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:24pm 
Originally posted by Spydrebyte:

Unfortunitly this system is the only thing that can keep bad mobile games away from steam acceptance so it's my duty to use it before steam gets flooded by crappy shovelware, degrading the service completely.
Spydrebyte Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:33pm 
If steam goes the way Gabe envisions, then good luck with that.
Spydrebyte Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:41pm 
Our role in green-light is supposed to be a democracy, we consider the candidates and vote according to personal preferences. Someone saying "XYZ game dosent belong" is in akin to "XZY race should be allowed to vote" in the real world; which is prejudice and the antithesis of democracy. Now, Greenlight is not exactly a a democracy as Steam is a dictator (self confessed) :P but its the best we got atm.

I dont like Horror games, dont play them, dont enjoy them, but i will defend everyone's right to do so. I will not try to use my prejudice to limit or remove options for others, especially when the inclusion of such options has little to no affect on myself. It's ludicrous, but surprisingly familiar...
Caelistas Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:44pm 
Our role in green-light is supposed to be a democracy, we consider the candidates and vote according to personal preferences. Someone saying "XYZ game dosent belong" is in akin to "XZY race should be allowed to vote" in the real world; which is prejudice and the antithesis of democracy. Now, Greenlight is not exactly a a democracy as Steam is a dictator (self confessed) :P but its the best we got atm.

I dont like Horror games, dont play them, dont enjoy them, but i will defend everyone's right to do so. I will not try to use my prejudice to limit or remove options for others, especially when the inclusion of such options has little to no affect on myself. It's ludicrous, but surprisingly familiar...

Quite the rational post, and i'd agree with you..... if quick mobile game port jobs weren't a blight upon everything that is good about pc gaming.

Also: mobile is not a genre of gaming like horror, fps, action, adventure, rts, .... (not a good comparison on your part).
Feraele Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:54pm 
Originally posted by Caelistas:
I'm tired of all these crap devs trying to do a quick port job and get their tablet/phone games on steam so they can make some easy money.

Worst of all is that i see idiots defending those practices, and practically supporting them.

What is wrong with you people?

Why?? What is wrong with you? Valve doesn't stipulate anything like that. This is a platform for new developpers..whether you like it or not.

New devs = new games for you and the other 50 million gamers around the world to play.

That's not a defense, that's reality. You can choose your own reality ..you know :)

"you can't change others but you CAN change yourself".

Don't like that type of game? Don't vote for it.

EVERY Dev that submits a game here ..deserves at least their 5 minutes of fame, where people either upvote their game..or pass it by.

That is how it works. Like it or lump it.

The cream ALWAYS rises to the top...the crap doesn't and fades away.

Happy gaming. :)
Feraele Feb 20, 2013 @ 9:55pm 

Unfortunitly this system is the only thing that can keep bad mobile games away from steam acceptance so it's my duty to use it before steam gets flooded by crappy shovelware, degrading the service completely.

I wish you luck in outvoting everyone here..because of your personal biases. :P hehehe
Spydrebyte Feb 20, 2013 @ 10:21pm 
(snip)

Quite the rational post, and i'd agree with you..... if quick mobile game port jobs weren't a blight upon everything that is good about pc gaming.

Also: mobile is not a genre of gaming like horror, fps, action, adventure, rts, .... (not a good comparison on your part).

Opinion, and i disagree. I did no use the word genre, but one could class them as such with respect to their definition if they wished, regardless; they are certainly a category of games, as is horror... my point stands.

There are going to be; quick, cheap or lazy games made by developers regardless of what platform or genre they come from. In fact there is a thread with the same argument about Retro games. You, and others who share such an opinion, single out a genre category which they despise, and attempt to get the entire category blacklisted... Which is completely unreasonable, for the single reason that ALL platforms, ALL categories have good and bad games, (which are lazy, cheap, quick, or just plain bad).

Greenlight looks for a majority vote as to what will be included, such that games will be included which go against personal preferences of individuals. But no one (individual) should get to decide what games are eligible to be voted on. If a game seems worthy (to the majority) it will be voted up, and the validation will be made through sales.

If many others with to play these games, you do not get the right to deprive them of that. If the industry move in a direction you do not like, tough - get over it. That is how business (and the world) works unfortunately; and it can happen to anyone.

<sacasm>Lets say this works, and they ban mobile ports: I say the many AAA titles are developed for consoles and 'ported' for their PC release, should be banned from Steam as well, because I say so. XD </sarcasm>
irrevenant Feb 22, 2013 @ 7:21am 
Okay, you seem to be missing the entire point of Greenlight. Distinguishing between a cheap and nasty port and a well-executed one is a non-trivial effort. Either Valve can throw large numbers of staff at the problem of determining which of these games deserve to be on Greenlight and which don't. Or they can let the community decide which games look appealing: which is the point of Greenlight in the first place!

You also seem to be failing to realise that maybe some people WANT to play these games on their PC. Maybe a simple casual game that's fun on iOS is fun on the PC too. Maybe I would enjoy playing a game, but I don't have a PC and not an iPad.

Like Spydrebyte said, the issue is cheap, quick, lazy games, not what platform they were initially developed for. And again: filtering out poor quality games is exactly the point of Greenlight in the first place.
-Z- Feb 22, 2013 @ 7:24am 
If it's a decent port that interests me, I'll probably vote for it, not gonna lie. I'd rather play with a mouse than a touchpad any day.
tinyJUGG3RNAUT Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:33am 
ya i can see were you are comeing from but some games i can see to be really fun on pc
jeslyck Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:24pm 
Is this one more for the post I don't like something and neither should you! Bla bla bla.......such childish nonsense
Last edited by jeslyck; Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:25pm
Kateweb Feb 23, 2013 @ 2:43am 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
If it's a decent port that interests me, I'll probably vote for it, not gonna lie. I'd rather play with a mouse than a touchpad any day.
I agree, touch screens on tablets are even worse.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:38pm