Steam Greenlight
Ця тема закрита
Bye bye, Greenlight?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186168/Gabe_Newells_vision_for_Steam_More_choice_more_democracy_less_Greenlight.php#.URNiNTXkV68

"Greenlight is a bad example of an election process. We came to the conclusion pretty quickly that we could just do away with Greenlight completely, because it was a bottleneck rather than a way for people to communicate choice." - Gabe Newell
Автор останньої редакції: Awesome Games Studio; 7 лют. 2013 о 1:10
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 374
Interesting read, and the consequences could be even more interesting, it does make sense though.
I think that they wont do away with Greenlight completely but rather alter it (radically).
Interesting but feel that my time was wasted on Greenlight right now.
Welcome to Steam Yellowlight.
Not sure I'd be keen for a Steam free-for-all model having seen the absolute travesty of Concepts.

I can see the attraction for Valve though. 30% of lots and lots of next-to-nothing is always going to be better than 30% of nothing. Less effort, more money. Very appealing... for Valve.
So in essence, Greenlight isnt working because they cant handle the demand, so they're opening up the floodgates?
And it's a 'bottleneck' and that's bad. (Um, a self-imposed one since it's Valve who decide what number of top-voted games to let through and when).
Цитата допису Skoardy:
And it's a 'bottleneck' and that's bad. (Um, a self-imposed one since it's Valve who decide what number of top-voted games to let through and when).
Yeah, I can't help but feel that greenlight might have worked better if they treated it more as a prioritized queue for the normal submission process rather than just picking an arbitrary number of games to greenlight at arbitrary intervals, that way they could just greenlight as many as possible, one by one, starting with the highest rated ones. However because one their motivations for greenlight was to cut down their workload using greenlight in that manner would not have been as good for them.
Seems to me that Greenlight could work with a larger number of people involved (on Valve's side, that is). If it really was just intended to cut down on the workload, rather than their claim that they felt they couldn't speak for the customer when choosing games, it was always going to fail.

If I'd paid a $100 (and hadn't had chance to get on Steam yet) just to find they're going to bin the whole thing as a bad job, I'd be more than a little miffed.

greenlioght waws a complete joke anyway. a majuor joke at that. looking at the games the got greenlit . comeo most was using it as a joke and not being serious, becuase most of the game greenliot so far should not even be on steam while others that do belong just sit there month after month. hope to see it totally killed, will make my day
So Greenlight should be removed because other people like things you don't like? Yeah, top reasoning there, mate.
Interesting read, indeed... I wonder what will happen with all the great and (mostly) less than great games out there. But as it goes, Valve will not or may not keep Greenlight around for too long.
The way I see it is that all games do have the right to be sold, barring legal issues. In the end, it is about sales that judge if a game mets some sort of standard of quality.In the end, Valve has a digital distrubution warehouse that can cater to any game.

What I personally think is exciting(and maybe a bit choatic but still exciting!), is that if any user can create a store, maybe the Steam store will no longer be just a single store. Rather anyone at anytime can create a store and sell there game using the Steam interface. Instead of garnering attention to a game just so that it can POSSIBLY be on steam, that attention is more focused to getting the game sold on steam.

Its going to be chaotic, but man! I want to see what ideas pop up out of this.
Автор останньої редакції: Yuga-Suggah; 7 лют. 2013 о 16:58
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 374
На сторінку: 1530 50

Опубліковано: 7 лют. 2013 о 0:14
Дописів: 374