Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:12pm
Do start up applications work with Steam
So, let's say I have an app that starts when windows loads. I am guessing if that same software is on steam, steam need to load first and then it can load my app thereafter. How would something like this work? Do I need to rework my code to fit it into steam or what?
Last edited by Typical Ugly Highschooler; Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:12pm
Showing 1-15 of 76 comments
< >
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:15pm 
Steam does not work with apps that start with Windows. It's as easy as that. You need to log in in Steam first with your Steam account, how would that work with your app? It won't.
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:19pm 
So, there is no option provided by steam to allow developers to load their app right after steam loads?

My app is completely dependent on that aspect for best use
Last edited by Typical Ugly Highschooler; Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:19pm
wilco64256 Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:19pm 
No, there's not. Why would they? Their store is 99% games and you'd never want a game to autostart when your computer boots. Even the software that's being listed in Greenlight you wouldn't need to autostart, adding stuff to startup just makes the computer's startup take longer.
Last edited by wilco64256; Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:20pm
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
Like I said, after steam loads is there some event that can be used for such a purpose?

Originally posted by wilco64256:
You can't really make an application that sits in the Steam Library that starts before the Steam Library can even open, so this won't work.
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:22pm 
Sorry, but when your application is dependent on starting with windows, then it's just crap. Better remove that dependency.

And there is no way to automatically start an application after Steam loaded.
Last edited by Snaeng; Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:22pm
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:23pm 
I appreciate the response, but if steam is actually going to a software competitor they need to integrate as best as possible. Just because the very small current selection of software titles does not need such a thing doesn't mean there are future applications that will.

Originally posted by wilco64256:
No, there's not. Why would they? Their store is 99% games and you'd never want a game to autostart when your computer boots. Even the software that's being listed in Greenlight you wouldn't need to autostart, adding stuff to startup just makes the computer's startup take longer.
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:24pm 
The "integration" you want goes heavily against what benefits the user. Starting with Windows should always be an OPTION, but never an REQUIREMENT.
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:25pm 
Well I sort of want to reveal what I am doing to demonstrate to you the importance of that dependency which you will immediatally understand why I would want my app to start up as soon as possible, but I will just wait until I submit my project.

Originally posted by Snaeng:
Sorry, but when your application is dependent on starting with windows, then it's just crap. Better remove that dependency.

And there is no way to automatically start an application after Steam loaded.
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:26pm 
There is no valid point for such a requirement. Startup with Windows should be an OPTION, not a REQUIREMENT.
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:32pm 
With what I am able to accomplish with my current level of programming skills and understanding of limitations, this app is solely for Windows. I am not a fanboy; it's just a fact of what platforms I can reasonabley put it on.

Saying that it is not to the advantage of the user, from the way I am interpreting that comment is actually not at all true. I don't care what platform it is on and the average end user sure as heck doesn't even have an understanding of platforms to know how something is coded. For the user its observation and the way he or she computes action required for your app.

Having the app boot up asap simply reduces the number of steps in the process flow. AKA less work for the end user.

Originally posted by Snaeng:
The "integration" you want goes heavily against what benefits the user. Starting with Windows should always be an OPTION, but never an REQUIREMENT.
Last edited by Typical Ugly Highschooler; Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:35pm
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:33pm 
I don't want to boot up with windows... I want to boot up with Steam now! lol
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:37pm 
So could I locate my executable in the steam directory and launch it as a process?
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:39pm 
I could have two apps. One being the actual app. The other being completely independent of steam that users can download to automatically load the first app(of their own choosing, Snaeng) after steam boots.
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
I was not talking about the platform, it's fine to only support Windows. I was talking actually starting together with Windows, which will only slow down the Windows start itself and make the system all together feel more sluggish.

And like I mentioned already, there is no proper way to achieve what you want.

What's wrong with just letting the user decide when they want to start your app and when not? It's their system.
Typical Ugly Highschooler Feb 3, 2013 @ 2:12pm 
Let's just say that the common instruments for interaction(mouse and keyboard) do not need to be used. Having this other instrument work on startup would be significant for a unified and consistent user experience.
Showing 1-15 of 76 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:12pm