Steam Greenlight
Language for Submission of Steam Greenlight Software
What language should I be writing if I want to get steamworks to integrate with it? C++?
< >
Сообщения 114 из 14
I believe it doesn't matter what language you use
Can someone point to a url stating that?
Link

Quote:

How do I get access to Steamworks?
To get access to the Steamworks SDK, you need to go through Steam Greenlight and get your game accepted for distribution on Steam. All of our publicly available information is located here. If you have further questions you can contact steamworks@valvesoftware.com

My game is in early development stages, don’t I need to plan for the SDK integration now?
The Steamworks SDK is easy to integrate, so you can wait until your game is further along in the development cycle before worrying about it.

Do you take XNA, Flash or Adobe Air games?
Yes, we accept all three types on Steam. Flash games need to be wrapped so that they launch from a stand-alone executable.

What language is the Steamworks API available in?
The Steamworks API is written in C++.

Do you have a .NET or Actionscript wrapper?
We do not have any wrappers available as part of the SDK.

Do you have a DRM solution for .NET, Flash and Adobe Air?
We currently do not have a way to DRM these titles.

What engines does Steamworks support?
Steamworks is written in C++ and can be integrated into any engine. Currently, no wrappers are provided for languages other than C++. There are no specific engine requirements for submitting your game to Steam or using Steamworks.
No, Delphi is correct. It does not matter. You write the game in a language that suits your game best and that YOU can manage best. You don' t choose a language based on an API to integrate your finished game into another product.
How does software usually get prepped for distribution?
Running all unit tests on a fresh build, additional manual testing on multiple different machine setups, running a beta test, preparing a one click deploy.
Thanks man. Peace be with you.

Автор сообщения: Snaeng
Running all unit tests on a fresh build, additional manual testing on multiple different machine setups, running a beta test, preparing a one click deploy.
No, Delphi is correct. It does not matter. You write the game in a language that suits your game best and that YOU can manage best. You don' t choose a language based on an API to integrate your finished game into another product.
Yeah, the only caveat if you use a language other than C++ is that to use the Steamworks API you need to write a wrapper DLL for it (in C++) so that the other language can communicate with it. But it's a relatively easy process and if you know another programming language you should be able to do it quite easily with out needing to fully learn C++. Since it sounds like you are writing software and not a game I'd also advise against using C++, C++ lacks good support for writing UIs whereas most other languages come with libraries that make UI development MUCH quicker and easier.
Отредактировано AusSkiller; 3 фев. 2013 г. в 15:33
Thanks for responding.

Most informative post.

Автор сообщения: AusSkiller
Yeah, the only caveat is that if you use another language other than C++ then to use the Steamworks API you need to write a wrapper DLL for it (in C++) so that the other language can communicate with it. But it's a relatively easy process and if you know another programming language you should be able to do it quite easily with out needing to fully learn C++. Since it sounds like you are writing software and not a game I'd also advise against using C++, C++ lacks good support for writing UIs whereas most other languages come with libraries that make UI development MUCH quicker and easier.
Yeah, the only caveat if you use a language other than C++ is that to use the Steamworks API you need to write a wrapper DLL for it (in C++) so that the other language can communicate with it.
That would be the easiest, but is not required. There are other (harder) ways.

C++ lacks good support for writing UIs whereas most other languages come with libraries that make UI development MUCH quicker and easier.
Ever heard of Qt? Makes UI development in C++ very very easy.
Ever heard of Qt? Makes UI development in C++ very very easy.
Nope, hadn't heard of Qt, after looking into it though it's much the same situation as other C++ UI libraries I've heard of, you need to buy a commercial license, but it does look pretty good and if you have the money it's always good to see what libraries are around to make development easier.
There are many wrappers such as https://github.com/rlabrecque/Steamworks.NET (mine!) for Unity/C#. I've seen an Actionscript wrapper as well along with a couple few ones.

I'd probably recommend Unity if you haven't started yet.
Автор сообщения: rlabrecque
There are many wrappers such as https://github.com/rlabrecque/Steamworks.NET (mine!) for Unity/C#. I've seen an Actionscript wrapper as well along with a couple few ones.

I'd probably recommend Unity if you haven't started yet.
If it has taken a year for him to start then perhaps he isnt doign it at all?
< >
Сообщения 114 из 14
Показывать на странице: 1530 50

Дата создания: 2 фев. 2013 г. в 21:08