Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
ABOVE Average Joe Sneeze Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:08pm
Language for Submission of Steam Greenlight Software
What language should I be writing if I want to get steamworks to integrate with it? C++?
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Delph Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:45pm 
I believe it doesn't matter what language you use
ABOVE Average Joe Sneeze Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:52pm 
Can someone point to a url stating that?
Thordred Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:20pm 
Link

Quote:

How do I get access to Steamworks?
To get access to the Steamworks SDK, you need to go through Steam Greenlight and get your game accepted for distribution on Steam. All of our publicly available information is located here. If you have further questions you can contact steamworks@valvesoftware.com

My game is in early development stages, don’t I need to plan for the SDK integration now?
The Steamworks SDK is easy to integrate, so you can wait until your game is further along in the development cycle before worrying about it.

Do you take XNA, Flash or Adobe Air games?
Yes, we accept all three types on Steam. Flash games need to be wrapped so that they launch from a stand-alone executable.

What language is the Steamworks API available in?
The Steamworks API is written in C++.

Do you have a .NET or Actionscript wrapper?
We do not have any wrappers available as part of the SDK.

Do you have a DRM solution for .NET, Flash and Adobe Air?
We currently do not have a way to DRM these titles.

What engines does Steamworks support?
Steamworks is written in C++ and can be integrated into any engine. Currently, no wrappers are provided for languages other than C++. There are no specific engine requirements for submitting your game to Steam or using Steamworks.
ABOVE Average Joe Sneeze Feb 3, 2013 @ 10:01am 
C++ it is
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:09am 
No, Delphi is correct. It does not matter. You write the game in a language that suits your game best and that YOU can manage best. You don' t choose a language based on an API to integrate your finished game into another product.
ABOVE Average Joe Sneeze Feb 3, 2013 @ 12:13pm 
How does software usually get prepped for distribution?
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Running all unit tests on a fresh build, additional manual testing on multiple different machine setups, running a beta test, preparing a one click deploy.
ABOVE Average Joe Sneeze Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
Thanks man. Peace be with you.

Originally posted by Snaeng:
Running all unit tests on a fresh build, additional manual testing on multiple different machine setups, running a beta test, preparing a one click deploy.
AusSkiller Feb 3, 2013 @ 3:32pm 
No, Delphi is correct. It does not matter. You write the game in a language that suits your game best and that YOU can manage best. You don' t choose a language based on an API to integrate your finished game into another product.
Yeah, the only caveat if you use a language other than C++ is that to use the Steamworks API you need to write a wrapper DLL for it (in C++) so that the other language can communicate with it. But it's a relatively easy process and if you know another programming language you should be able to do it quite easily with out needing to fully learn C++. Since it sounds like you are writing software and not a game I'd also advise against using C++, C++ lacks good support for writing UIs whereas most other languages come with libraries that make UI development MUCH quicker and easier.
Last edited by AusSkiller; Feb 3, 2013 @ 3:33pm
ABOVE Average Joe Sneeze Feb 3, 2013 @ 3:34pm 
Thanks for responding.

Most informative post.

Originally posted by AusSkiller:
Yeah, the only caveat is that if you use another language other than C++ then to use the Steamworks API you need to write a wrapper DLL for it (in C++) so that the other language can communicate with it. But it's a relatively easy process and if you know another programming language you should be able to do it quite easily with out needing to fully learn C++. Since it sounds like you are writing software and not a game I'd also advise against using C++, C++ lacks good support for writing UIs whereas most other languages come with libraries that make UI development MUCH quicker and easier.
Snaeng Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:53pm 
Yeah, the only caveat if you use a language other than C++ is that to use the Steamworks API you need to write a wrapper DLL for it (in C++) so that the other language can communicate with it.
That would be the easiest, but is not required. There are other (harder) ways.

C++ lacks good support for writing UIs whereas most other languages come with libraries that make UI development MUCH quicker and easier.
Ever heard of Qt? Makes UI development in C++ very very easy.
AusSkiller Feb 4, 2013 @ 1:03am 
Ever heard of Qt? Makes UI development in C++ very very easy.
Nope, hadn't heard of Qt, after looking into it though it's much the same situation as other C++ UI libraries I've heard of, you need to buy a commercial license, but it does look pretty good and if you have the money it's always good to see what libraries are around to make development easier.
rlabrecque Feb 13, 2014 @ 7:59am 
There are many wrappers such as https://github.com/rlabrecque/Steamworks.NET (mine!) for Unity/C#. I've seen an Actionscript wrapper as well along with a couple few ones.

I'd probably recommend Unity if you haven't started yet.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 13, 2014 @ 8:47am 
Originally posted by rlabrecque:
There are many wrappers such as https://github.com/rlabrecque/Steamworks.NET (mine!) for Unity/C#. I've seen an Actionscript wrapper as well along with a couple few ones.

I'd probably recommend Unity if you haven't started yet.
If it has taken a year for him to start then perhaps he isnt doign it at all?
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:08pm