Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Packrat Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:44pm
Requiring expected prices on Greenlight items?
I might be alone in this, but when browsing games on Greenlight I often find myself thinking "I would buy this, but only if it was cheap." This can make it difficult when deciding how to vote because most submissions don't tell you what they will cost if they are Greenlit. I think having the submitter post what they plan to charge for an item would both help people when deciding whether to upvote, as well as provide an opportunity for developer/community interaction that could help the developer find the price point that fits best for their game.

Thoughts?
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Sera Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:49pm 
Threads like these have been done over and over. The developers are the ones choosing their price and they are in nothing forced to tell an estimate price for their games unless Valve inputs it as Greenlight rule. In all games I voted, I went with how it looked and its quality display. The prices never came to mind.

If you want to discuss prices with the devs, make a thread in their game's discussions and see where it takes you.
Video games prices are pretty unstable these days anyways. It could be expensive today, tomorrow it could be in a super cheap bundle.
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:59pm
-Z- Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:03pm 
Yeah, the price isn't so much of a worry. It's going to almost certainly be far cheaper than AAA titles, and you can always catch 'em on a sale if you're still not prepared to pay the marked price upon release, likely between $10-20, but the lower-end ones might only be $5. Either way, everything greenlit seems to be on sale for a good while after release, and then they might also appear during a bigger sale. There are always options.
Packrat Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:03pm 
Originally posted by Sera:
Threads like these have been done over and over. The developers are the ones choosing their price and they are in nothing forced to tell an estimate price for their games unless Valve inputs it as Greenlight rule. In all games I voted, I went with how it looked and its quality display. The prices never came to mind.

If you want to discuss prices with the devs, make a thread in their game's discussions and see where it takes you.
Well, discussing whether it should be a Greenlight rule is what the thread is about.

If this is something that has been discussed to death and a decision more or less reached, that's fine. (It was, in hindsight, an oversight on my part not to search past threads before making this one. I'll be more careful in the future.)

Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
Video games prices are pretty unstable these days anyways. It could be expensive today, tomorrow it could be in a super cheap bundle.
We can only really judge something based on its own merits. If I'm not mistaken, the Greenlight system is an attempt to gauge how many people would buy the game on its own.
Originally posted by Packrat:
We can only really judge something based on its own merits. If I'm not mistaken, the Greenlight system is an attempt to gauge how many people would buy the game on its own.

Then why are you asking about the price?
Packrat Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:22pm 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Yeah, the price isn't so much of a worry. It's going to almost certainly be far cheaper than AAA titles, and you can always catch 'em on a sale if you're still not prepared to pay the marked price upon release, likely between $10-20, but the lower-end ones might only be $5. Either way, everything greenlit seems to be on sale for a good while after release, and then they might also appear during a bigger sale. There are always options.
I guess it's just a personal hangup, then. That's fair enough.

Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
Then why are you asking about the price?
Because how highly I rate its merit is directly tied to how much I'd be willing to pay for it, and I, personally, find it difficult to answer "Would you buy this game if it was on Steam?" without knowing what I'd be asked to pay for it.
Sera Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:28pm 
Prices change over time, not sure how relevant it would be. Let's say a game says "The game will be sold at $10" and you're like "I'm never paying this much for that" but everyone else go "I'd pay double price for it anytime". Prices don't matter since at the end, opinions really change what you or anyone are willing to pay for the same game.

Now I can mention sales which make the game even cheaper than originally intended. I doubt you will ever see a scam price on a steam game and I think Valve also makes suggestions for devs to price their games. I don't think you should worry about it...
Packrat Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:36pm 
I see, that's a good point, Sera. Thank you for your input, everyone.
wilco64256 Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:40pm 
No it shouldn't be a rule. It'd be far too easy for a dev to go "My game is going to cost 5 bucks" and then after getting on Steam change it to 10 or something similar. Voting should not be based on the price, just whether you consider the game to be something you would purchase at *some* price.
Feraele Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:16pm 
I think the price thing shouldn't come into play until after the game has become greenlit. Keeps the whole thing simpler..and no pressure. I mean we see how people are voting now, can just imagine, them downvoting due to the price. Or even the commentary you might see, regarding the price, which kind of takes away the attention from the game itself in my view. Besides isn't the price negotiated on between the Developper and Valve? So seems to be a thing that would happen after being greenlit.
Last edited by Feraele; Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:17pm
Skoardy Jan 31, 2013 @ 3:27am 
Like Wilco64256 said, if people are going to be swayed by the price listed, devs will low-ball just to get votes. Once through, they'll 're-evaluate' their stance on a ridiculous low price and put it back up to whatever they originally planned.
ConaN Jan 31, 2013 @ 4:49am 
maybe it would be better the other way around, those backing a game could have the option to select between a couple pricepoints that they would be willing to pay like *$1 *$5 *$10 *>$10

at the moment I upvote things that I might be willing to play, even games I would never pay more than 1$ for get my upvote, if they end up costing 20+ (like some uhh simulators) then I wont buy it, no problem
-Z- Jan 31, 2013 @ 4:51am 
The trouble with that idea is that there'd be a flood of idiots voting for $1 on everything.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:44pm