Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Dremord Drale Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:09pm
What program do I need to create a game?
I already have someone to create the graphics. Now I need to design the game. Now, let me start off saying that I have no experience but am ready to learn. I am looking to create an FPS, action RPG, turn based RPG, adventure RPG or a point and click adventure. Please help me figure out where to start. Thanks!
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
wilco64256 Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:40pm 
Didn't you already have a pretty well-answered thread about this exact same thing?

Oh, here it is, still on the first page no less:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/846943082483753916/?appid=765
Sera Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:12pm 
I thought that too... Why remake the thread? >.>
Dremord Drale Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:56pm 
Originally posted by Sera:
Bumping is against most forum's rules.
AusSkiller Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:21am 
You already have someone to create the graphics but you don't know what kind of game you are making? I'd be asking them what their skills are best suited to, there's no point in trying to do a FPS game (which requires 3D art) if your artist is best at 2D sprites. Even beyond the 2D/3D issue some artists can really excel at certain types of art but not others and you should really try to leverage their strengths. Some can do amazing scenery but aren't so great at characters which would probably indicate that it's better to make a point and click adventure where the scenery features more heavily than the few characters you might need to interact with, but if they are better at making characters then RPGs or first person games might be a better use of their skills. There is also the detail level that the artist can provide, first person shooters often require much more detailed art because you can get right up close to most of it, so if they aren't confident their art can hold up under really close scrutiny then it might be an idea to cross off FPS games and opt for the less detailed art of a top down RPG or maybe a point and click adventure. You also need to consider their animation skills, similarly to detail, character animation needs to be very high quality for a FPS game because you are so close to it and from the first person perspective that people are used to viewing the world at anything slightly off about it will be easily noticed, also point and click game often require a lot more animations than the other types as they might need specific animations for interactions with things, if they aren't good at animating this may mean you would be better to go with a top down style of game where people aren't as likely to spot any issues with animations. If you are lucky though your artist may be proficient enough in all areas that you'll have your pick of game, or may they have an art style that can mitigate some of the issues I've raised, but talk with them and find out where their strengths lie so you can make the best game possible with them :).

Once you have sorted out roughly what kind of game you want to make come back and let us know because without knowing what kind of game you want to make it's hard to give good recommendations on what to use to create it. Different engines and programs are often better suited to specific game types so it would be easy to accidentally steer you in the wrong direction without further information.

Edit:
BTW if you have a really good idea but your artist isn't confident they can deliver what is needed for it, don't be put off from trying it anyway because of what I've said, artists are often very talented people and can usually adapt to doing whatever is needed with at least decent results, all I'm suggesting is that if you are unsure of what to make then you should probably try to do something that your artist can really make great.
Last edited by AusSkiller; Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:32am
wilco64256 Jan 24, 2013 @ 7:22am 
Originally posted by Dremord Drale:
Originally posted by Sera:
Bumping is against most forum's rules.

1. You weren't the last to post in the previous thread.

2. What part of your question wasn't already answered in that thread?
WastedSoul563 Jan 24, 2013 @ 4:35pm 
Ever need a storyline writer I'm the guy. Writing is my favorite hobby, something about making in-depth characters and awesome storylines that just make me excited.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:09pm