Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:03pm
What is a good game making program?
I don't care if it's 2d or 3d (we will create the graphics), or if it's up-down, third person or first person.

The program can be made for point and click games, RPGs, action and similar genres.

Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Game Maker Studio is available FREE from the Software section of Steam
Others are avilable, but Game Maker is a good start, and there are A LOT of tutorials and books available.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214850/
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:14pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Game Maker Studio is available FREE from the Software section of Steam
Others are avilable, but Game Maker is a good start, and there are A LOT of tutorials and books available.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214850/
This is a side scrolling game creator... like Mario.
Ian Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
If you have programming experience, Unity is your best bet. You can get it free, and they do not charge you for release unless you reach... 250000? profit? If not, there isn't a whole lot to choose from that actually has the potential to make a good game without major fees.
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
Originally posted by Ian:
If you have programming experience, Unity is your best bet. You can get it free, and they do not charge you for release unless you reach... 250000? profit? If not, there isn't a whole lot to choose from that actually has the potential to make a good game without major fees.
No programming experience. Is it hard to learn? What can it do?
C0untzer0 Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:20pm 
Originally posted by Dremord Drale:
No, it's not. Where the hell did you hear that?
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:22pm 
Asked around.
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
And the fact that one of their top rated games is this:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99777437&searchtext=
C0untzer0 Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
Asked around.
Boy, you got lied to.
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:24pm 
Asked around.
Boy, you got lied to.
What can you do with it?
Dremord Drale Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:24pm 
And can you use 3d graphics if you make them?
C0untzer0 Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:36pm 
Yes, it's been 3d for about a decade now, as t what you can do with it, that depends what you can do with it. The point is: It's a great tool for learning the basics quickly, and will give results in about an hour. For a first timer, it's pretty neat, and already there.
Sera Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:36pm 
Game maker = game maker. You can make almost any kind of games on it, not just platformer games. For RPG kind, RPGmakerVX/Ace is better if you deal with scripts and whatever you like.
C0untzer0 Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:47pm 
Then there's c lite, c sharp, (I have literally a dozen variants of C on my work drive, they're all good)...
AusSkiller Jan 20, 2013 @ 4:44pm 
Then there's c lite, c sharp, (I have literally a dozen variants of C on my work drive, they're all good)...
I still prefer good old C++ for games, when you know how to use it properly it provides just the right balance of ease of programming, flexibility, and performance for game development, the downside is learning to use it properly is much harder than most languages and usually takes years of experience. These days the performance of the language is less of an issue though, which is why easier languages like C# are becoming more popular for games, and they are much better for newer programmers to get into, but personally I dislike the inflexibility and inefficiency of managed languages like C#. But it really is hard to go wrong with a C variant when you know how to use it right.

Ultimately though the best solution for a game is entirely dependent on what sort of game you are creating, if you are making a JRPG similar to those of the SNES era then RPG maker is probably going to be the best fit, if you are making a FPS or third person game then Unity or Unreal are going to be the best, if you are making something unique then busting out C++ skills and writing your own engine is probably best, it all depends on the kind of game you want to make.
C0untzer0 Jan 21, 2013 @ 2:21am 
Also, you have to know the difference between Programming a game and Developing one. There's a lot more to it than you might realise.

Edit: Yeah Aus, All these languages come and go, no matter how many guys at the tec say "this is the future" it always comes backk to C++ in the end.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:03pm