Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Critical Failure Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:34am
I would like to express dissatisfaction with the Greenlit titles.
I know my meager opinion will be swept under the rug, but I wish to make it known that the Greenlight program lists a ton of really great games from tallented developers. The games that have been actually Greenlit are hardly the cream of the crop in my opinion. This is a flawed program and I am calling shenanigans.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Skoardy Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:53am 
Keyword - opinion. Other people like what you don't like. You'll just have to try and get over it.
Keonyn Jan 18, 2013 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Keyword - opinion. Other people like what you don't like. You'll just have to try and get over it.
Exactly. It's not shenanigans that people voted for something other than what you voted for. The world doesn't revolve around you, and greenlight largely functions by popular demand and what the users are giving the go ahead to.
C0untzer0 Jan 18, 2013 @ 8:16am 
I would like to express dissatisfaction with your opinion, it seems to be at odds with the majority. Yours is a flawed decision making process and I am calling shenanigans on your attempt to impose your opinion on others.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jan 18, 2013 @ 8:17am
Eyziah Jan 18, 2013 @ 8:53am 
After giving it some thought i don't believe shenanigans is the issue but rather how many titles we vote for.

I have voted to greenlight 60+ games because i think they are great concepts but the 4-5 games i really want to play now don't get Greenlit. However one of the titles that does get Greenlit will be from my list.

So if we all only voted for the few we really wanted to play now then we would not be contributing to our own disappointment each time a list is announced.
jeslyck Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:00am 
My Lord is with great regret that I must inform you of a apparent lack of the minions. It is also with great regret I must inform you, that your autocracy monarchy time is over. Mr president commander General crazy banana please step down! it's all over!.
Skoardy Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:07am 
Originally posted by WeeabooJudas:
I've said this before, it's tyrrany of the majority and everyone who responded to your thread only did so because they are part of it.
Were you wrong in the thread you said it before in, too? I responded because I thought it was sort of obvious but thought the OP might not have made the connection. Sorry for not being part of your 'tyranny of the majority' but there you go.
C0untzer0 Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:09am 
I've said this before, it's tyrrany of the majority and everyone who responded to your thread only did so because they are part of it.

You are one man, so your opinion does not count.
Welcome to Democracy.
You don't think it's maybe because he's taking the stance of "I don't like it so it must be bad and none of you are allowed your own opinion"?

Keonyn Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:16am 
The thing about Greenlight is that, if you have a fringe opinion (or a fringe taste in gaming in this case) nothing you like will ever see the light of day. I've said this before, it's tyrrany of the majority and everyone who responded to your thread only did so because they are part of it.

You are one man, so your opinion does not count.
Welcome to Democracy.
This is just reality in general. If you have fringe tastes then it's just going to be simple reality that because it is fringe there is going to be less catering to you than towards tastes that are more mainstream. It's the basic nature of being on the fringe and is hardly something specific to Greenlight.
MisterFour Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:23am 
Well, its more of a representational democracy. Pretty much the votes only count for who gets into the top 100. It is Valve that ultimately decides. While it is more likely that #1 will get voted it, wasn't La-Mulana #40?

Arguments like "Tyranny of Majority" really don't work in this context because it puts the blame on the majority while ignoring other logistical or trend problems that caused the so called tyranny. Maybe the majority(or Valve) was swayed by some really convincing youtube videos or gaming articles. Maybe a lot of gamers do not know about Greenlight. Maybe gamers are swayed by some sort of gaming season. Maybe the game just didn't get enough exposure. Who knows?

My suggestion(and yes, it is borrowed from other people on the forums) is for Greenlight to bring in more games. Maybe if they widened the Greenlight bottleneck, maybe will see a wider diversity of games?
Last edited by MisterFour; Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:48pm
Pnume Jan 18, 2013 @ 1:29pm 
The thing is with the way it work, a game nobody wants to buy but think is an ok game is very likely to be greenlit thanks to the sympathy votes.

But a game that a significant amount of user (but not enough to in the top) love and will buy day one will probably never make it.

Conclusion don't do original. Make the same popular crap over an over. It is what AAAs do and it works for them. No...Wait...
Keonyn Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:17pm 
That has no real basis. That's just your assumption and generalization of what is happening and is hardly the basis for any actual or legitimate analysis of the system. Try again.
Pnume Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:27pm 
Some greenlit games did badly after their release. Want to bet why?
Critical Failure Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:30pm 
Really Pnume? I'm interested to know which specifically
Keonyn Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:33pm 
Most of them made it on the top sellers list following their release for at least a time. So they didn't make it all the way to the absolute top of the sellers list, that doesn't mean they "did badly". Feel free to post the sales figures of all the games though so we can verify the information you are citing.

Not to mention even if this was true, assuming that it is, your reasoning is still an absolute assumption based on your own clearly biased viewpoint and has no actual basis outside of your own perception.
Last edited by Keonyn; Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:34pm
Pnume Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by Critical Failure TCPub:
Really Pnume? I'm interested to know which specifically
Waking Mars and Air Buccaneers for exemple.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:34am