Steam Greenlight
Greenlight Steam Badge
I think a Greenlight badge for people who are active in the community would be a good idea. Similar to how they handle Pillar of Community and the Steam Sales.

x amount of votes you've made, positive contribution etc.
< >
Se afișează 1-15 din 28 comentarii
I don't think that's a good idea, as it could lead to people voting/commenting etc. for an achievement, instead of doing it because they want to have a game in the store.
@lukep yeah I guess...
i think thats a great idea
@Hortencio com H grande: You may think that. but it is a horrible one.

Users shouldnt be doing this striving for some reward or be rewarded for doing it haphazardly.
The badge would become the goal for some rather than getting good games onto steam.

It is an idea that sounds cool at first but when you think it through you realize it is a very very very bad idea. It looks like and I'm hoping that "ba!" realized that after reading "lukep"'s response. I urge you to think it through a bit more and consider all the possible concequences of such a thing before thinking it is good because it sounds cool.
Editat ultima dată de Gorlom[Swe]; 15 ian. 2013 la 18:15
If they were ever to give out Greenlight badges, they should go to the people who have put a game on Greenlight that got Greenlit.
I thought Greenlight was meant to be the reward?
Just vote Yes to everyhing and you get that eventually don't you Erin? all while screwing up the system?

Shouldn't it rather being for buying Greenlit games in that case? I don't see how that would screw up the system.
Hey I put the idea out there, so we could talk about it.I'm not going to defend it or myself for suggesting a 'bad idea'. I can acknowledge that people would just spam vote of an achievement, but that's just one issue. How can that be resolved? Steam already has rewards for community contribution, this was just another avenue I thought could be interesting. It's not completely preposterous.

@C0untzer0 good point.
@ba!: I'm sorry about the tone in my response. it was not directed towards you as I had assumed you had already come around to the idea that it might not be as good/problem free as you first thought. It was directed towards Hortencio that still hadn't reconsidered after lukeps response. I thought he needed a bigger push.
I guess I should have made that cleared by quoting or including his name somewhere. my bad.
Editat ultima dată de Gorlom[Swe]; 15 ian. 2013 la 18:15
Nah it's all good.

It could possibly be 'awarded' to people from dev's who get published. They could 'give' the badge to people who have contributed positively to the game process through comments or voting?

I saw the badge as a thing that could show valued people in the community. Who take time out to help out.

I think they do similar thing in TF2 with people that help out on their Wiki page?
Ussually, people are more motivated by externic factors (Do a job- earn money, credit, a cookie) rather than internic (do a job for the sake of doing a job). Most of the time voting actually falls under externic motivation(vote for the game you want, you might get to play the game). Unfortantely on Greenlight, this motivation only extends to a select few games.

If there was someway to encourage voters to vote (upvote or downvote) for more than just their favorate game and actually give a chance for users to look at other games, I am not sure if that is so bad. I am also for new voters(provided they follow the rules). If that means some sort of montary reward, who knows.

Badges however, seem to be kinda uncommon. Steams gives out a badges for how long you have been on Steam and if you have participated during a winter/summer. A Greenlight badge would sort of stand out. This badge would likely attract people for the badge rather than participation. If the badge is too easy to get, there will be a flood of people voting just enough to get that badge. If the badge is too hard to get, there will be flood of complants saying that the badge is too hard to get. I think badges are an unreasonable reward.

If, and this a big IF, there was some sort of montary reward, I would consider using the coupon method. If a member of Steam votes for 15 games a month, that member earns a checkmark. Only one checkmark can be earned per month. Members can not trade checkmarks and can not be viewed by other members. After four checkmarks, they can trade the checkmarks for random discounted game coupons. This idea borrows from the coal system two christmas's ago.

Of course, I am toying around with ideas and I aware of some the inherent flaws. Some I can defend for, others I am not sure. I'm thinking about what to with people who have already voted for every game.
Editat ultima dată de Yuga-Suggah; 15 ian. 2013 la 21:28
Postat inițial de MisterFour:
Usually, people are more motivated by extrinsic factors (Do a job- earn money, credit, a cookie) rather than intrinsic (do a job for the sake of doing a job).
Actually, the science around this is really interesting. It's been determined that extrinsic rewards (eg. money) are motivating up to a certain point but once the person has enough money to live comfortably (which is obviously subjective) more money provides little extra motivation.

Worse still, if the person is intrinsically motivated - for example they're doing a good job because they enjoy it or because they're proud of doing a good job - continuing to feed them cookies will cause them to lose their intrinsic motivation and start "just doing it for the moolah".

You know what might be nice? If people who voted for a game to be Greenlit got a small discount on it when it's actually released. Shouldn't encourage fraudulent upvoting because, presumably, people aren't going to be interested in a discount on games that they don't want anyway...
Editat ultima dată de irrevenant; 16 ian. 2013 la 0:49
Skoardy 16 ian. 2013 la 4:56 
Postat inițial de irrevenant:
You know what might be nice? If people who voted for a game to be Greenlit got a small discount on it when it's actually released. Shouldn't encourage fraudulent upvoting because, presumably, people aren't going to be interested in a discount on games that they don't want anyway...
Well, since it doesn't cost them anything to upvote/downvote, and there's no repucussions for voting up something you have absolutely no intention of buying - I expect we'd see a massive increase of people just upvoting everything, without spending a second viewing the projects just on the off-chance that somewhere down the line they decide they might decide to buy a game.
Postat inițial de GorlomSwe:
Just vote Yes to everyhing and you get that eventually don't you Erin? all while screwing up the system?

Shouldn't it rather being for buying Greenlit games in that case? I don't see how that would screw up the system.

Uh, no. Read my post again.
Postat inițial de Erinduck:
If they were ever to give out Greenlight badges, they should go to the people who have put a game on Greenlight that got Greenlit.
As in the developers.
< >
Se afișează 1-15 din 28 comentarii
Per pagină: 1530 50

Data postării: 14 ian. 2013 la 17:56
Postări: 28