Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
irrevenant Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:16am
This doesn't belong on Steam!
Is anyone else getting a bit sick of seeing that comment over and over again?

"This looks like an iOS game! It doesn't belong on Steam!"
"I played something like this in a Flash game! Free! It doesn't belong on Steam!"
"This looks like it was made by a studio of less than 10 people! It doesn't belong on Steam!" (wish I was making that one up - I can't find the original comment now, though)

In my opinion, if a game is good and people want to buy it, it belongs on Steam.

If a game looks like an iOS game so WHAT as long as it's fun and playable? Something like Plants vs Zombies doesn't belong on Steam? Really?

Something looks like a free Flash game? And? IMO, some of the better, more addictive, Flash games ARE worth paying a few dollars for. And this, of course assumes that just because something looks the same that it IS the same - lots of games that look the same on the surface play very differently.

A game doesn't have to have Skyrim's production values to be fun. Something like FTL may look like rudimentary but that doesn't stop it from being insanely addictive and selling well. (Disclaimer: I backed FTL on Kickstarter before it ever hit Steam).

Don't get me wrong: You can downvote for any reason you like - if you don't think you'll play a game, don't upvote it. If you don't like that genre (I have basically zero interest in platformers) downvote it. If you don't like a game's graphics style - downvote it. That's your personal right.

But when you say "This doesn't belong on Steam" you're talking for everybody - and I, for one, don't agree with you.
Showing 1-15 of 283 comments
< >
Skoardy Jan 14, 2013 @ 6:49am 
I see a lot of "This doesn't belong on Steam!" but not much "Everyone thinks this shouldn't be on Steam!". Seems like you're adding your own narrative to people's comments. I mean, you said FTL was insanely addictive but forgot to preface it with "In my opinion...". We're not all going to kick off and accuse you of talking for everybody there.
Thand Jan 14, 2013 @ 8:50am 
I still don't get what is the rule for something belonging or not to Steam, in your opinions.
If some iOS game is fun, what really is the problem?
Sera Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:07am 
Any games that I can play on NG should not belong on Steam. Most flash games that I can load myself in my browser should not belong on Steam. Machinarium is a good example of what I talk about. Apparently a very good game but the save is tied to browser cache? What is this, I don't even...

I prefer 100 times to find a website where I can play it on my browser than buy it on Steam to help anyone get my money. Thanks to Greenlight, there are or will be tons of games like this coming to steam. The system is at the same time a very good thing and a curse for everyone. Many good indie games may be added but at the same time, we will be stuck to see pointless flash/iOS crap games on sales soon or later. That's what happened for our christmas sales and I hope you're proud of yourself.

PC gaming can't even be proud to brag about its good games anymore (As a manner of speaking). We're getting pushed around by lowly games wanting their own spotlights and they put games like Limbo to shame. Plants vs Zombies... Seriously? Jeez, lol... End of the world DID happen in 2012...
Thand Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:26am 
What? You are aware that the games that were greenlighted were the ones with most votes, correct? So, a lot of people thinks that these games are NOT craps, as you say.
And, you know, I don't understand something. Steam will have more games, games you think are crap, but this will be bad for the others games because...? And about the Christmas sales, I saw a lot of good games on deals there. Not only indie games or flash games or iOS games. I don't see your point, since the last Christmas sale was like any other Christmas sale.
And about "PC gaming can't even be proud to brag about its good games anymore"... Another point I don't get. Is it so important that the game was not produced by an indie company? I think not. Plant vs Zombies IS a good game, and more importantly, it is FUN to play. This is the greatest aspect in a game, and Plant vs Zombie has it, for a lot of people anyways. And, of course, if you don't like it, there is a lot of games out there to play, even AAA games. The indie games do not interfere with the AAA games, UNLESS the indie games are better and are selling more.
Last edited by Thand; Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:27am
jeslyck Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:51am 
This is because you do not understand how large the Internet is hate is waste of time.
Thand Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:54am 
The internet is hate and a waste of time?
jeslyck Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:04am 
Only to get excited about hate comments
irrevenant Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:35pm 
Originally posted by zibetsa:
Why are people saying that line "talking for everybody"? I don't see any logic behind your statement - anything people say in the comments is just their opinion.
I figured this bit was obvious. When you say a game doesn't belong on Steam you're saying it shouldn't be published here for anyone else to buy either. Hence: "talking for everybody".

Originally posted by zibetsa:
And no, Plants vs Zombies doesn't belong on Steam. Go play it on your fancy iPhone all right.
There you go, perfect example - lots of people bought Plants Zombies on Steam. You don't think they should've been able to.

I have a perfectly good PC - why should I have to buy an iPhone in order to play it? Especially when the PC version of the game is better.

Originally posted by Sera:
Any games that I can play on NG should not belong on Steam. Most flash games that I can load myself in my browser should not belong on Steam.
Just because some people were nice enough to release you games for you to play for free doesn't mean that similar games are valueless. It just means you're lucky to get some to play for free.

Originally posted by Sera:
Machinarium is a good example of what I talk about. Apparently a very good game but the save is tied to browser cache? What is this, I don't even...
That's just bad design. Annoying.

I should probably add here that I strongly believe that games released for PC should be optimised for PC. And that applies to everything from indie games to Skyrim and its blatantly console-optimised GUI. (Note: Please don't turn this into a discussion on how awesome Skyrim was or wasn't - it's just an example). I used Plants vs Zombies as an example because it got this right - the PC version works brilliantly for PC, it's not just a lazy iOS port.

Fact is, a lot of people play and enjoy "casual" gaming. If it's a game and it has a bunch of people willing to buy it then, IMO, it belongs on Steam.

This is a great time - digital distribution is bringing us access to a wider variety of gaming. To go "No, no, no, we should only publish the sort of stuff that game stores would sell!" just seems like limiting everybody's options for no good reason. That's like saying Amazon.com should only sell bestsellers. It seriously misses the point of what digital distribution is capable of.
Last edited by irrevenant; Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:47pm
Pnume Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
FTL or PvsZ may not rely on fancy graphic effects but they are very polished. They are genuine professionaly made games. A lot of games on Greenlight are lightyears away from that. They lokk like they have been made as a student project or something (some of them really fall into that category sadly). IMO there are games that don't even deserve to be posted on greenlight.
Thand Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:38pm 
The majority of those games does not receive enough votes to be greenlit.
But for example, even polished games suffer from this "iOS prejudice". For example, Nihilumbra. It does seems polished and nice, but I did see people downvoting it because it's made on iOS and should only belong to an iPod. Same thing with Plant vs Zombies. If it was to be greenlit, I'm certain that there would be people that would downvote it because "Plants vs Zombies doesn't belong on Steam. Go play it on your fancy iPhone all right.".
Last edited by Thand; Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:15pm
Tamerlane Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:15pm 
It's just their opinion, and they are entitled to it, even though you and I disagree with it. Even if they "are speaking for everybody" we know that they can't, and therefore they don't :)
Last edited by Tamerlane; Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:15pm
Thand Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
I know that, I just would like to understand their complete opinion. xD I mean, in the comments I just see something in the lines "it is a iOS port, so I downvoted it". I was a little afraid that there was something that I did not know that would explain the problem with iOS games that I upvoted. xD
Tamerlane Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:22pm 
people tend to associate iOS games with being simple, short and dumbed down because phones/tablets do not offer things like mouse/keyboard or controllers or cannot handle modern graphics (etc.)
Last edited by Tamerlane; Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:27pm
Senor Quarto Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:54pm 
This dabbles in social psych, but essentially humans have been suggested as "motivated tacticians." Meaning sometimes people use shortcuts in processing information. This sort of explains why people sometimes stick with bias rather than actual emphirical thought.

This does not help that there is such thing a narritative bias. (If the information is written, it must be true.) Because some people use shortcuts in blog reading and have narritive bias , a blog post or a forum post can seem just as relable as an accredited article to some people.

I think that there should be such a thing as accountablity when posting. The "burden of proof" should fall under the writer, not the reader. It is unfair to write blanket statements about anything unless there is underlying proof or representation. Hopefully, this burden persuades readers to actually look for relable information when judging information as a whole.

....Of course, this is an endless battle. And all people make mistakes and shortcuts.
Last edited by Senor Quarto; Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:04pm
Senor Quarto Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:09pm 
Also, I think the "IOS games suck" or "If it was on a flash website, it shouldn't be sold on Steam" is a lazy/shortcut statement. Even if every flash game on the market is not fun right now, there is always a possiblity of one good flash game in the near future. (Of course, there are quite a number of good flash/ISO game that have been improved by a PC port.)

Unfortanately, I don't have the money or time to judge EVERY game. I do my best to be impartical and I hope that some gamers are impartical as well.
Last edited by Senor Quarto; Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:20pm
Showing 1-15 of 283 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:16am