Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
crenr Dec 15, 2012 @ 7:40pm
Bone rigging help
I'm using 3DS Max 2012. I've just finished a misc item for the Sniper and I want to rig it to "bip_knee_L" but when I do so it forces me to rig it to the "bip_head" bone in item test, when compiling the hat in Source SDK. The result is part of it floating down by the player's knee but the rest is floating up high next to his head. I've correctly linked the parts to the bone, but then this happens. Can someone help me?
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Pogo 44 Dec 16, 2012 @ 9:33am 
Rig in 3ds max, then export an smd instead of an obj. obj doesn't keep rigging information, so it will rig automatically to the head bone.
crenr Dec 16, 2012 @ 9:42am 
Originally posted by Pogo:
Rig in 3ds max, then export an smd instead of an obj. obj doesn't keep rigging information, so it will rig automatically to the head bone.
I do that though. I import the Sniper .smd file, put the item in place, and delete everything except for the item and the knee bone. After, I export it as a .smd file, but in Source SDK itemtest, at the start, if I don't use the auto-skin the compile fails. But if I do, part of the item is in place but the rest is floating next to his head.
Pogo 44 Dec 17, 2012 @ 12:06pm 
Have you tried using the beta compiling tool? Might get better results. Auto skin will always attach your model to the head bone.
crenr Dec 17, 2012 @ 2:58pm 
Have you tried using the beta compiling tool? Might get better results. Auto skin will always attach your model to the head bone.
No, I haven't. Where can I find this?
Pogo 44 Dec 18, 2012 @ 2:05am 
Inside tf2, click workshop on main menu, then look for the tool.

Otherwise I'd suggest learning to compile the old way, and use guistudiomdl and a qc file.
crenr Dec 19, 2012 @ 4:35pm 
Inside tf2, click workshop on main menu, then look for the tool.

Otherwise I'd suggest learning to compile the old way, and use guistudiomdl and a qc file.
Okay, I tried that, thanks for the help. But what do I put in the .zip or .txt files that it asks for? I put in my textures, LODs, UVWs, and the model itself. When I press "Open" it says it failed to load. Am I doing anything wrong? :(
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 15, 2012 @ 7:40pm