My first item has been compiled with ItemTest, everything works brilliantly in my testroom. I haven't created any other item with this same name either. Also checked workshop and it also doesn't have such item with the same name from other creators...
....however publish my item online leads to this error: "failed to publish file! check to see if you have another item that has the same name!"
I've followed tutorial here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Itemtest
and I am not a newbie in 3d modeling world either.
Additional things I tried already:
1) "Import.." Beta publishing option. Specifying everything and as soon as hitting a "Preview" button - ends up with windows message that hl2.exe is not responding no more, and it crashes.
2) locating every single file containing my item name in Steam directory on my HDD, deleting it, then importing it one more time. Same error message about another item having the same name.
3) Installed fresh copy of TF2 on another computer and tried to import - same error again.
4) Created new item with ItemTest and named it totally differently during the process.. Item works fine in my testroom, but as soon as I try to publish it - same error again.
5) Disabled Steam Cloud synchronization for TF2
6) Manually deleted everything from E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\*number*\
7) Verified Integrity of Game Cache, Defragmented Cache files
8) Messaged support, but it is already 72 hours and still no answer. No idea how long does it take here usually? Additionally - emailed Robin Walker through TF2 staff contacts form.
9) Created totally new account, uninstalled Steam (wiped it from HDD first), restarted computer, created item with itemtest under newly created account, tried to publish - again the same error!
10) Installed Windows XP x86 from zero on another computer (just to make sure it is not a problem of particular Win7 installation I tried initially), installed Steam, TF2, SDK. Created item (unique name again) with ItemTest, tried to publish, and guess what - the same error again.
To be honest - no idea what else can I try. Forum search revealed several others having the same issue reported previously over the time, but funnily enough - there was no answer posted in any of those threads.
Running on win7 64x
Greatly appreciate your time helping me out, Thanks
It turned out that you have to have a premium account before uploading anything to TF2 Workshop. Loaded 5EUR to my account, bought a backpack item and my account changed its status to Premium. From that point on - no more errors of this kind.
Will also write this to TF2 staff so this information is included in Workshop FAQ and/or TOS.