Team Fortress 2
Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 22, 2013 @ 11:45am
New Spy Knife - The Swiss Slicer
Hello, guys. My first time here.

I am terrible at 3D modeling but I'm good at drawing: here's a concept for a new Spy knife.

The Swiss Slicer
+ Cloaks instantly on kill
- 50% shorter cloak on will

Here's the concept art. [24.media.tumblr.com]

If you please, tell me what do you guys think.
Last edited by Adiós, Space Dandy.; Apr 28, 2013 @ 2:07pm
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
smoke bongs sing songs Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:25pm 
First, my congrats for the drawing. It's very good. The only thing I'd suggest to change in future drawings is the font, as it doesn't feels very TF2-ish.

Second, eh, it doesn't feels very balanced. Assuming a Spy backstabs someone, maybe a random Medic & Heavy pair, this knife will be an automatic get-out-of-trouble card, because when the Heavy will turn back, you will be already cloaked. It thus become a straight improvement on stock knife.

I'd personally suggest an entirely new concept who was bouncing in my head for a while. What about making this knife remove the ability to cloak (or disguise, still haven't decided on that), but give a certain ability based on the class you backstabbed last. For example, if you stab an Heavy, you will gain a certain advantage on maximum health; if you stab a Medic, you will gain health regeneration; if you stab a Spy, you will get the ability to cloak back, but only have an unrechargeable cloak bar; Scout gives a speed boost; Sniper makes your revolver completely accurate and removes range falloff on it; if you stab a Pyro, you will gain fire resistance and your next revolver shot will put enemies on fire; I still have no ideas on what will happen if the Spy stabs a Demo, Engie, or Solly. Any ideas?
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 22, 2013 @ 3:05pm 
First of all, thank you about the compliment. The font was to fit the weapon's theme, though.

The way that I see it, the instant cloak would be a drawback on certain situations. An uncloaked Spy is vulnerable, but if you use your cloak to backstab someone, it won't last enough to actually run away and avoid suspicion unless you are wearing the Cloak and Dagger... Then again, I'm not good at balancing things and Valve would do the stats anyway.

Kudos to you for coming with such a creative idea! Surely fits the Swiss Army Knife theme and reminds me of the Advanced Weaponizer, but it's only a slim chance that someone would actually model a weapon based on this and an even slimmer one to actually be included in a mod. It's a pity that I can't model at all (tried but no dice).

Thank you very much for giving such a professional view on this weapon concept. I'm glad!
smoke bongs sing songs Apr 22, 2013 @ 3:14pm 
Eh, the Stock Watch has a duration of 10 seconds. It's enough to get out of a battle, and beyond.

I just got another idea.

What about giving a +0.5 seconds longer decloak time? It would effectively prevent every type of chainstabs, and be forced to be used on single target "assassination" attempts. It's still not balanced, so what about giving it a smaller backstab range? It's a swiss knife after all, not a balisong. The actual angle of the backstab range (180) won't be changed, but merely the distance at which you can stab.

Actually, I'm a rather amateur modeller. I don't really know if I could make something like this, as it's a rather complex weapon, but eh.

Adding onto my previous idea, what about making the tool equipped on the knife change on the last backstabbed class? The small knife for the Spy, the screwdriver for the Engie...
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 22, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
Hmm. I wonder, maybe scoring a kill makes the cloak counter's recovery go slower? The longer decloak time works as well. Shortening the range would be a little too much, though.

Sorry about that rant, Makes me look like I am begging...

That equiped tool idea would be quite a little too complex to implement, so maybe not.
MaX<<Chistmas-Sonic>>WARMANN Apr 23, 2013 @ 4:42am 
WOW I LIKE IT HAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YOU ARE NICE GUY
smoke bongs sing songs Apr 23, 2013 @ 1:31pm 
Sorry for the late reply. Was busy.

Eh, what about both? Reduction in cloak recovery and increase in cloak draining rate, plus longer decloak time. I wonder how that will work with the Dead Ringer, though.
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 23, 2013 @ 1:45pm 
Well... I don't know for sure. DR isn't something you would call "traditional".

Thank you anyways for checking this weapon out. I'm glad.
Sentient_Toaster Apr 23, 2013 @ 6:04pm 
Strong abilities require strong downsides. Remember that decloaking can be done pretty rapidly so it's not like the spy would be forced to stay cloaked for long if he didn't care to.

A fitting downside might be "cannot activate watch manually", just like the YER's cannot-disguise-manually in exchange for free instantaneous disguising. That includes the Dead Ringer; no damage shield possible until you've stabbed.
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 23, 2013 @ 6:41pm 
Oh well, that works then - cannot activate watch manually.

What do you think about the concept art?
Sentient_Toaster Apr 23, 2013 @ 7:42pm 
Hrrrm -- the plier design reminds me more of Leatherman than, say, Victorinox. ;)
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 23, 2013 @ 9:37pm 
It's alright with me - just a tad more rustic than Spy's usual weapons, but it's good. I have the same model.
smoke bongs sing songs Apr 24, 2013 @ 6:28am 
Originally posted by Sentient_Toaster:
Strong abilities require strong downsides. Remember that decloaking can be done pretty rapidly so it's not like the spy would be forced to stay cloaked for long if he didn't care to.

A fitting downside might be "cannot activate watch manually", just like the YER's cannot-disguise-manually in exchange for free instantaneous disguising. That includes the Dead Ringer; no damage shield possible until you've stabbed.

Now that's a quite good idea Toaster. I support dis.

So, the finished stats...

The Swiss Slicer
+Cloaks on backstab
-Cannot activate watch manually
+25% longer decloaking time

Good?
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:45am 
Yeah, That works. While the Dead Ringer remains untouched, the advantages and disadvantages complement themselves.

Now, if only someone could do a 3D model... Hmm.
smoke bongs sing songs Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:47am 
Untouched? Well, maybe the feign could activate itself. I mean, like if you were shot.
Adiós, Space Dandy. 1 Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:54am 
That would be a downside of using it with the Dead Ringer - sacrificing your fake death to use the cloak and the damage reduction. It's alright anyway!

By the way, I will add you guys on my Steam account.
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 22, 2013 @ 11:45am