Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:16am
if I uploaded a source mod to greenlight how will i get the source license and do i have to pay?
if I uploaded a source mod to greenlight how will i get the source license and do i have to pay?
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Alden Apr 2, 2013 @ 8:04am 
If you've got a Source mod, you don't need a separate Source Engine license. Since mods require the end-user to already have an existing Source Engine game in order to play, the licensing to play your free mod is included in the base game.

If you wish to turn your project into a paid, stand-alone game, then a Source Engine license will be required. More information on the Source Engine and licensing can be found here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 8:20am 
Hmm I have heard that steam licensing can sometimes cost over $2000 my mod may be released on green light sometime at the end of this year and... I havn't got that much money.
Alden Apr 2, 2013 @ 8:31am 
If you're just releasing a mod, then you don't need an engine license. If it got Greenlit, it would appear in Steam like the other Source mods we distribute through Steam. Here is an example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/17550/
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 8:36am 
But will I be able to sell my mod on greenlight? or do I have to avoid selling in order to avoid steam licensing costs?
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 8:53am 
Thank you I don't know if I want to pay $100 for greenlight then pay over $2000 for a license, it is dangerously over-priced and if not many people buy my mod i won't make much money

I would call it "put $10000000000 in and get $1 out of it", its not worth greenlighting
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:08am 
I will look into it but i may just post it on greenlight for free (its just easier)
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:12am 
ok wait one more question if its free on steam can the mod inclued copyrighted music because i know on gamemaker workshop it is protected and contained with-in steam, so you can add whatever music or copyrighted content you want. does this apply to free mods on steam?
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:15am 
nah don't worry i suppose its a no
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:25am 
ah ok thanks
=Harders= Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:28am 
ah ok good because i have non-copyrighted music ready for the mod ;) thanks
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:16am