Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
TheDovahDude Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:01pm
Turn-Based or Action RPG?
Hi, I was thinking of creating an RPG, and was stuck between either creating an Action RPG or a Turn-Based, or "Classic" RPG. For those of you who don't know, the diffrence between these types of games is mainly the combat. In a Turn-Based, you attack the enemy, then the enemy attacks you, and you also tell your companions (If any) what to do. In an Action, like Skyrim, you attack the enemy in real time, and your companions (If any) will attack without you telling them. I personally enjoy both vareties equally, however I wanted to know which the community preferes. Also please tell me why you would prefer one over the other. Any feedback is apperciated.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
empolo Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:31pm 
I think that graphics can be compromised in an action RPG, also stratergy can provide interesting challenges in classics. An approch to regain this could be to have a pause system like the Mass Effect that allows a player to give orders.
TheDovahDude Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:49pm 
Originally posted by empolo:
I think that graphics can be compromised in an action RPG, also stratergy can provide interesting challenges in classics. An approch to regain this could be to have a pause system like the Mass Effect that allows a player to give orders.
That is a good idea, however, I don't know whether or not that is possible with the program the program I am going to use to create my game.
C0untzer0 Jan 5, 2013 @ 2:58am 
If you ask the public for advice, you're going to get an argument. I've seen many (Squares v Hexes, Vert v Side scroller etc) and they all pretty much end indecisively. Go with your gut, if that fails flip a coin
Skoardy Jan 5, 2013 @ 6:19am 
Probably not an option but I've always liked the combat systems from games by Gust (such as Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia or Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy), a sort of 'stacked' turn-based, where there's a on-screen list of who comes next but combatants can be pushed, delayed and shuffled around the stack by various actions.

Btw, is this all going to be attached to an RPG Maker game?
TheDovahDude Jan 5, 2013 @ 8:40am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Probably not an option but I've always liked the combat systems from games by Gust (such as Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia or Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy), a sort of 'stacked' turn-based, where there's a on-screen list of who comes next but combatants can be pushed, delayed and shuffled around the stack by various actions.

Btw, is this all going to be attached to an RPG Maker game?
Yeah, I plan on making it using RPG Maker.
winmaster369 Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:21am 
action all the way
Ryzours Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:56am 
An action RPG using RPG maker? I don't believe it'll come even close to most action RPG on steam. On turn-based games, graphics and animation are a bit less important, and RPG maker will provide a better result. But make the game you'd like to play first, don't expect selling millions of copies, just have fun making it.
laughingoctopus Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:17pm 
I like turn-based, myself, though I agree with Ryzours that you should make whatever you want. Like s/he said, you're much more likely to put out something good (using RPG Maker) if you go turn-based.
TheDovahDude Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Originally posted by Ryzours:
An action RPG using RPG maker? I don't believe it'll come even close to most action RPG on steam. On turn-based games, graphics and animation are a bit less important, and RPG maker will provide a better result. But make the game you'd like to play first, don't expect selling millions of copies, just have fun making it.
Yeah, I personally think I should go Turn-Based, It would probably be more enjoyable.
TheDovahDude Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:38pm 
Also, does anybody know if you can give the player an option to "Create a Character" in RPG Maker?
Mahamed Mahamed Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:42pm 
I perfer turn-based, because combat's simple. But depending on what game your going for (more gameplay/more story-telling), depends what it will come down too.
FoxFine Jan 21, 2013 @ 7:45am 
Originally posted by Ryzours:
But make the game you'd like to play first, don't expect selling millions of copies, just have fun making it.

Thank you, that is SO beautiful. After reading tons of negative opinions on Greenlight Discussions, it def made me smile to read this.

When it comes to the OP, I would say do what you feel is right. Are you trying to tell more of a story or have more action. If it's a story, then I would go with turn based. If it was action, then obviously I'd go with the latter. But like Ryzours said- make the game you, personally, would like to play first. Not only will you have fun playing it, but I bet more love and creation will go into making it! I wish you the best of luck!
Last edited by FoxFine; Jan 21, 2013 @ 7:45am
-Z- Jan 21, 2013 @ 7:50am 
^
Plus, let's face it... The amount of love that goes into creating a game will usually be evident to the player. Or, at least, it tends to be that way when I play games. There's just something about the game feel in a game that was cared about during production as opposed one that was just thrown together to make money.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:01pm