Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
lukep Dec 28, 2012 @ 12:18am
Add collection to queue
I think that having the ability to go through and vote on the games in a collection easily would help them to be useful.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Skoardy Dec 28, 2012 @ 8:34am 
I don't think Valve want to add that sort of bias to the ordering of your queue. Everyone just picking so-and-so's-big-list-of-the-best-games and leaving the rest, sort of thing.
Spydrebyte Dec 28, 2012 @ 4:33pm 
I see Skoardy's point, however theyve already added that bias by allowing collections to begin with... I like the idea, although ive already cleared my queue completely heh.
Last edited by Spydrebyte; Dec 28, 2012 @ 4:34pm
Skoardy Dec 28, 2012 @ 6:37pm 
Having a collection isn't quite the same as being able to easily create queues that consist solely of a collection. Linking them more closely is what would encourage bias.
Spydrebyte Dec 28, 2012 @ 11:05pm 
If the person intends on voting for every game in the list, then the two methods are all but identical, only one way being more streamline; requiring less mouse clicks. The bias does not go away because its a little easier/harder to vote. Im not advocating against the bias, just saying tis already there.
Skoardy Dec 29, 2012 @ 4:48am 
You really can't understand how it'd be hugely emphasized or how the impact would be much more widespread by allowing people to easily create queues that consist of collections?! Or are you just trying to split hairs here?
[qoep] Raindbow#MLP Dec 29, 2012 @ 10:16am 
fsdfas
lukep Dec 29, 2012 @ 3:42pm 
Skoardy: do you think this change would make it too easy to vote on those games, and everyone should rely on (semi-random) queues and single links?

Spyderbyte: streamlining the process changes it a lot, for reference, look for the earlier discussions on adding a "downvote and move to next item in queue" button, as well as voting on a game without needing to enter their pages.
Spydrebyte Dec 29, 2012 @ 5:42pm 
As the system is now, a person can go to a collection and manually vote on every game within it, that is the so evil bias that is mentioned. If the system was streamlined the only difference to that person is that it will be faster. If u read, that is what i said.

Everyone can do this now, already, if the system was streamlined? perhaps it will prompt more people to do so... fair enough - does not change the fact that the bias already is there.

p.s those 2 issues u mentioned raise problems which are quite different to this scenario.

I know full well that this idea wont happen, i merely said i liked it... I also liked the ranking system and look how that turned out.
Skoardy Dec 29, 2012 @ 8:16pm 
I just don't think "Oh, the bias is there, tiny and hidden away where hardly anyone bothers with it so it's fine to make it a key feature of Greenlight." is a particular good idea.
Spydrebyte Dec 29, 2012 @ 8:56pm 
Yes, so hidden that there is a tab dedicated to collections, with over 500 submitted. Such a change would not change the visibility of collections. In either case im done on this topic. :) take care.
Skoardy Dec 30, 2012 @ 4:24am 
Originally posted by Spydrebyte:
Yes, so hidden that there is a tab dedicated to collections, with over 500 submitted. Such a change would not change the visibility of collections.
Apart from putting them front-and-centre with the queue, you mean? So, yes... it would. Do you not realise that?

It's kind of hard to argue that making it a lot easier to use collections in this fashion wouldn't make it a lot easier to use collections in this fashion, and greatly emphasize the bias. Just seems kind of obvious.
Spydrebyte Dec 30, 2012 @ 7:04am 
U missed my point. Good day.
Skoardy Dec 30, 2012 @ 8:40am 
I suppose the simple rule of thumb is - "Would this help Valve?" (when wondering if they're likely to add your suggestion). As much as you might want it, if you actually arrive at "This would make things worse for Valve", you're probably out of luck, completely.
lukep Dec 30, 2012 @ 10:35am 
Skoardy: bias is not inherently bad, which seems to be the point of most of your arguments. They already allow you to see the number of collections, comments, and discussions on a game, so you can get a rough estimate of its popularity, and you can also follow external links to the game, which also circumvents the queue to see games that you like.
Skoardy Dec 30, 2012 @ 11:02am 
Valve have shown (and spoken several times on the matter) that they're rather not encourage bias in the queue. Saying it's already there to some extent so it's okay to have even more of it, isn't really a strong argument.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 28, 2012 @ 12:18am