Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Tony Kanoli (Do Binnis) 10 Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:37am
Use of turrets in serious maps?
Should turrets be used in serious maps at all? In maps that require logic rather than manual dexterity - I'm not talking about labyrinth maps.

IMO,

Good Use of Turrets:
- A visible warning that you should not approach a certain area
- A visible cue that if you remove them (or block their turret fire), you can advance to that area

Bad Use of Turrets:
- Haha, surprise - you're dead

Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Ultimate Tomato 29 Dec 20, 2012 @ 12:09pm 
Turrets should definitely be used in serious maps. Some of the maps that have turrets as only random killers can be fun, but I prefer them as a puzzle element. They're much better than a door and can be used for tons of things.
Mr Vapour Waterhandle 18 Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:00pm 
Why not? You basically stated how it can work. This is how two of my coop maps work: you can see the turrets way in advance, so they're simply the obstacle. Also, for coop, deaths are less of a big deal, could be funny, even, if players don't lose an hour of progress. There are many approaches to them, too, so you could have multiple solutions or if well designed hiding the solution in plain sight (though this is tricky as they are fairly vulnerable). Plus they can be satisfying to overcome, in the same way those dumb turret killing only maps work, but as a reward for finishing the puzzle.

As I recall, there's a puzzle in the main game that revolved around getting blue gel on a bunch of turrets with a tractor beam. It was the first time I had seen that too, so that was neat. I recall it taking some logic to figure out.
Last edited by Mr Vapour Waterhandle; Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:06pm
Stagger Lee 65 Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:13pm 
Turrets are a valid puzzle element that some people simply misuse a lot of times. A player should be able to know they are present and be given somewhere to safely retreat until they can strategize their way around them or dispose of them.
Tony Kanoli (Do Binnis) 10 Feb 3, 2013 @ 6:44pm 
stagger lee said it right
Hazza the Fox 5 Feb 20, 2013 @ 4:50am 
If they are clearly visible from a safe vantage point to study the map from, and you don't need to do some stupid stunt to get past them- then most definitely they are a good feature- especially for logic maps!!!!
As you said, they provide an excellent clue that a certain location is an important place to cross (and can help illustrate a specific path or activity that might be vague without them- as the player immediately knows that a certain area is important enough to throw an obstacle at).

That aside, by merely being there they make great distractions which break a player's train of thought- and furthermore, they conceal solutions to the main puzzle that use a similar problem-solving solution. For example, if the map needed you to use a laser-prism cube to solve the REAL puzzle, having a few turrets around might trick players into thinking that the cubes and laser were there ONLY for the turrets- and a rule of thumb, when a player sees turrets, they usually try to figure out how to take them out first ;)

And honestly, people that pull 'ha, surprise- you're dead' stunts are the kind of people that DON'T make serious maps anyway- so no loss, either with or without turrets.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:37am