Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:24am
Overall view on GreenLight
I've seen some prety impressive games like "Incredipede" and others but im not sure if the people making the trailers are doing it right because I see many people raging in the discussion area about how their is no game play, as well as good screen shots. Most trailers also don't seem to be outlining the story witch have lead me to vote moste of them down.

As well as this their seems to be a problem with genre in games because i've noticed alot of Zombie esc thype of shooters as well as Slender or Scary games e.g. Doorways by the looks of the trailer ok but it doesn't give you a proper show of what the game is about exept from the title.

So i wanted to know other peoples oppion on this topic and what their voting up numbers are e.g. 500 votes 25 vote up.(too see this just go on greenlight and the down the right columm it says games i've voted for and the the total ammount of games you have voted for minus that is how many up and down)
Last edited by djbdom; Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:51am
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
wilco64256 Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:28am 
Nobody knows what their ratio of up and down votes is.
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:50am 
just go on greenlight and the down the right columm it says games i've voted for and the the total ammount of games you have voted for minus that is how many up and down
wilco64256 Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:52am 
Originally posted by djbdom:
just go on greenlight and the down the right columm it says games i've voted for and the the total ammount of games you have voted for minus that is how many up and down

Oh you mean what individuals are doing. There's an entire thread already dedicated to that right here on the first discussion page.
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:56am 
Oh you mean what individuals are doing. There's an entire thread already dedicated to that right here on the first discussion page.

Oh thaks by the way what do you think about the games?
AusSkiller Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:09pm 
I've seen some prety impressive games like "Incredipede" and others but im not sure if the people making the trailers are doing it right because I see many people raging in the discussion area about how their is no game play, as well as good screen shots. Most trailers also don't seem to be outlining the story witch have lead me to vote moste of them down.
Yeah, a lot of the videos aren't very good at giving an impression of what the game is about, lack of gameplay video is the most complained about since it is the thing you'll be interacting with the most in many games and is the best indication of whether or not you'd enjoy playing it. However as you've noticed gameplay isn't the only part of a game that's important, for some genres, in particular point and click adventure games, things like story are also very important, and in other genres story might not even be relevant such as in most multiplayer only FPS games. So it's really a case by case situation as to exactly what is best to be shown, but IMO it should generally be showing how the game plays (what it's like to play the game).

I've seen a lot of movie trailer style videos which tend to focus on the story and cut-scenes, or the ones with a lot of fast cuts between small segments of gameplay with more time spent on build-up and logos than content, and that works great for getting attention and generating interest, which is why movies use those sorts of styles for promotion because that's exactly what the goal of a movie trailer is, to get attention and generate interest. But here on greenlight the goal is to encourage people to vote for your game which requires a more informative kind of video and quite a few developers just don't seem to realize that :(.

IMO the best thing you could do is do 1 trailer style video and another more informative video focused on how your game plays and maybe it's key features. People will watch at least part of the trailer and if it looks interesting to them they'll probably be willing to watch the more informative video to help the decide if it is actually something they will like. Though I'm sure there are also people who will see the movie style trailer and vote based on that completely oblivious to the more informative video so it's still not without risk.

So i wanted to know other peoples oppion on this topic and what their voting up numbers are e.g. 500 votes 25 vote up.
The following thread has a pretty large sample of voting ratios:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/864950841092416129/?appid=765
The average looks to be about 5% up votes which is pretty much exactly what you said in your example, if that was a guess it was a bloody good one :)

Originally posted by POSwilco64256:
Nobody knows what their ratio of up and down votes is.
Actually you do now, it says how many games you've voted on and how many you voted up so you can calculate the ratio quite easily as people have done in the thread mentioned earlier.
wilco64256 Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:10pm 
I was referring to developers not knowing how many up/down votes their own projects have received, as I thought that's what was being asked about.
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:20pm 
yh it was just a guess
Last edited by djbdom; Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:20pm
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:21pm 
I was referring to developers not knowing how many up/down votes their own projects have received, as I thought that's what was being asked about.

I think they do because if not they have to cross their fingers till the day it runs out or what ever
AusSkiller Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:24pm 
Ahh that explains it, it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why a regular on the discussions like you wasn't aware of it, so thanks for returning me to sanity ;)

I think they do because if not they have to cross their fingers till the day it runs out or what ever
No they don't, they just get an indication of how they are doing compared to the average top 100 games.
Last edited by AusSkiller; Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:25pm
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:28pm 
go I feel sorry for them
djbdom Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:29pm 
How'd you link games in your posts
Dave33 Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:15pm 
To the OP In theory i liked the idea of greenlight but after just buying Minerwars of it which had cool videos but no real independent game-play vids, end result the game is the most buggy game I have seen, it is not optimized properly at all to the point the minimum and reccomended specs are way off, additionally the genres listed on the game purchase page are just plain a lie imo. further more there was misleading marketing with regards to additional always on DRM requirement that many of us in flats with flakey connections can only play in offline mode hence we would have as well been duped.

With all the above complaints about this one game plus a history of some bad greenlight games I respectfully ask people to do their research a bit more before voting up games or leave it to the steam guys because I havent got money to throw away nor do most of us.

Finally why are Greenlight games £15.00 ? I mean they are games that haven't come through by default and as such should surely be less expensive than the really stable games(indie) ie Look at Miner wars price in comparison to say SPAZ , spaz is superior in so many ways and a better game , the whole greenlight thing seems way off and I 100% will not be buying another game thats listed as greenlight unless the games drastically drop their prices to account for what is in effect a non professional QA system
wilco64256 Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:21pm 
How'd you link games in your posts

Copy the URL of the game's project page from your internet browser, then paste it in a post.
Skoardy Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:49pm 
Originally posted by Dave:
Finally why are Greenlight games £15.00 ? I mean they are games that haven't come through by default and as such should surely be less expensive than the really stable games(indie) ie Look at Miner wars price in comparison to say SPAZ , spaz is superior in so many ways and a better game , the whole greenlight thing seems way off and I 100% will not be buying another game thats listed as greenlight unless the games drastically drop their prices to account for what is in effect a non professional QA system
The pricing is down to the developers (though I expect Valve give advice on the matter). There's no 'blanket' price for Greenlight games. And they're the same games that would have gone through Valve prior to Greenlight, except that instead of Steam customers choosing games they want, you'd be relying on the sole opinion of maybe a few Valve employees (including all the foibles and genre bias they bring to the table).

If Greenlight had been around when S.P.A.Z was submitted to Valve, they'd have had to go through it as well. They probably would have preferred it since they were originally rejected.
Dave33 Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:25pm 
Did know about Spaz with regards to what your saying but its just such a let down, I rather stupidly just though ow Greenlight majority vote = quality game but now I see thats not the case because Miner Wars is broken, I play alphas regularly in a better state but ok I will be fair and not just target one small developer its just what worries me is its going around that Greenlight games are crap from the people Ive started speaking to which makes me wander about its effectiveness because people said many of the Greenlight games were flops so our sorta self orientated QA isnt working also whats to stop people cheating the vote system ? (Granted Im not sure if that is possible)

Thanks for letting me know about the pricing its just it doesnt seem right to me but I understand a big part is personal preference , that said the game I experienced from Greenlight wasnt even fit for purpose and the Advertising was misleading at best, the genre listed all the cool things about a game, ie rpg and the site said it was open ended/persistent world and other grandious statements that were not close to true. If I could get a refund I would tbh, Im not to happy with the money greenlight has cost me but its a lesson learned, and if thats what Greenlights about I think I would rather leave the choices to the Valve employees
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:24am