Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
redimus Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:11am
Marketing Tips For Steam Greenlight Developers
I wasn't a big fan of steams marketing tips, I didn't think there was enough detail so i thought i would create my own guide as a marketing geek!

http://www.palicomp.co.uk/blog/steam-greenlight-marketing/
Last edited by redimus; Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:12am
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Dec 3, 2012 @ 4:39am 
How much success have you had on Greenlight?
HeliaXDemoN Dec 3, 2012 @ 5:46am 
Let's make indies spend more money and time on marketing than in the development.

Nice greenlight.
redimus Dec 3, 2012 @ 6:25am 
thats not the idea at all, after producing an extremely qualitative game, you cant just twiddle your thumbs expecting to get the greenlight!
C0untzer0 Dec 3, 2012 @ 6:38am 
So, the answer to my question is: "None, I'm just guessing", good to know.
Darth LisandreL Dec 3, 2012 @ 7:25am 
More place for marketing: Youtube (McPixel + PewDiePie = Profit), Kickstarter, different Indie Bundles (Waking Mars + Humble Bundle for Android 4 = Profit).
redimus Dec 3, 2012 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
no, my background is marketing and i have had quite a lot of success at it in many different mediums :)
C0untzer0 Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:09am 
Originally posted by redimus:
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
no, my background is marketing and i have had quite a lot of success at it in many different mediums :)
and my question was:
"How much success have you had on Greenlight?"
Which seemed appropriate seeing as how your general marketing advice flies in the face of the advice given by people who have actually had their games greenlit.
Skoardy Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:38am 
The run-on sentences and over-use of commas makes your tips a bit of a pain to read.
Flotilla Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:43am 
A good game doesn't need marketing for Greenlight.

Notice how all the bad games that have been Greenlit (McPixel, Yogsventures) were heavily advertised by annoying LPers? We don't need more of that.
C0untzer0 Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:49am 
It's actually a REALLY GOOD set of ideas to do well on Kickstarter or with your own host. Let's not do him down.
AusSkiller Dec 3, 2012 @ 9:47am 
TBH I would have thought all those tips would fall under common sense, I have no marketing knowledge or experience and that's pretty much a list of the things I'd do for my own game anyway.
Intravenous Software Dec 3, 2012 @ 11:53am 
I for one will commend you on making the effort to write up that list of tips redimus.

I just posted up my own game Neon on Saturday to Greenlight and I'm right in that phase of coming up with ways to draw traffic to the page. That's what made me read this and it was far from a waste of my time.

It's a shame to see such negativity when someone is only trying to help so you would get my vote but we don't vote here :)

So if I spam the link to my game here = bad
But if I talk about the game but don't link to it = being creative? (just kidding)

jeslyck Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:24pm 
I really like your ideas Looks like you've given it some thought.
C0untzer0 Dec 3, 2012 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
TBH I would have thought all those tips would fall under common sense, I have no marketing knowledge or experience and that's pretty much a list of the things I'd do for my own game anyway.
For sure, but it doesn't convert to Greenlight votes, a lot of games which did hardly any of this came in well ahead of some very well marketed games with strong fanbases.
Skoardy Dec 3, 2012 @ 4:44pm 
Originally posted by Slur:
Marketing tips for Steam Greenlight developers:

Don't post your game on Greenlight.
While I'm guessing you're hinting at something, I'd really like to hear your explanation because this is just nonsensical as it stands.
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:11am