Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Meow Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:30pm
Just finished voting for all games on greenlight, here are my thoughts on how to improve it.
A-More options to customize a queue:
1- Instead of having only "genre that you are most interested in", there should be "Genre you are least interested in."
2- An option to make only completed games, ready for release, viewable.
3- Add pay to play in the genre section.

B-On the right where it states "Genre/Platform/language", developer should be able to write what is the state of the game "Beta/alpha/concept".

C-Keep an eye: An option to not vote for a game and "Keep an eye" on it. Similar to youtube "watch later" option, but you get notified if there are any updates about the games developement.

I would never vote for a game that is pay to play as I am never interested in them, and its very hard for me to vote for games that are very early in development as it is kinda hard to know how will they end up.

Any additional thoughts are welcomed.
Last edited by Meow; Nov 29, 2012 @ 5:37am
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
yer a visage carry Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:39pm 
What I would like.. Is a way to sort by the level of development. Whether it's a large project or a two-man project made at the dev's local Starbucks. Flicking through pages of games consisting mainly of squares and home-brewed sprites gets old. Development cost brackets, perhaps.
morsee Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:52pm 
Nice idea.
About option 3, I think you mean "free to play" and not "pay to play." You have to pay to play anything released through steam. Some "free to play" games get excessive with requiring DLC to be purchased to progress through the game, which is what I think you are refering to. I think Steam needs to make the genres of Greenlight consisent with the genres of the Store page, but I bet they are already working on that. Greenlight has a horror section, puzzle section, and several other sections that do not exist in the Store page.

About option 2, many of the companies that release through Greenlight are small startups that need to know if there is interest in the game before they continue development, otherwise they go bankrupt. Besides, if a game was completed, the creators would send the game through Steam's traditional review process, and not Greenlight. As a result, if the option existed, it would eliminate every Greenlight game. Instead, I think you should change it to options for the game state "Beta or alpha." No need for the game state of "concepts" as they are required to be in the concept area, and not Greenlight's voting area, anyways.
yer a visage carry Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:06pm 
Originally posted by morsee:
Besides, if a game was completed, the creators would send the game through Steam's traditional review process, and not Greenlight. As a result, if the option existed, it would eliminate every Greenlight game.
The "traditional method" no longer exist. Every developer or publisher new to steam has to go through greenlight. You can read this in the faq.
Meow Nov 29, 2012 @ 5:31am 
@morsee
By pay to play I mean mmo games that require a monthly fee. There aren't much on green light but I found a couple.

The problem is with option 2 is that I am hardly interested in games that are in early stages, especially alpha builds. Out of all 900+ games I was "interested" in less than 20, some of them I added them to favorites while i down voted them cause I'm interested in what they are going to be but I wouldn't buy them atm. There should be a "keep and eye" option, where you don't vote for a game but you "keep an eye" on any updates.

@Sidney Lee
Every developer? O.o?
Last edited by Meow; Nov 29, 2012 @ 5:39am
yer a visage carry Nov 29, 2012 @ 5:50am 
^
Yes. Though most developers already have a publisher that's got a game on steam, so they don't have to.
wilco64256 Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:16am 
Originally posted by Sidney Lee:
^Yes. Though most developers already have a publisher that's got a game on steam, so they don't have to.

Untrue. This is an incorrect assumption that many people make, there is nothing anywhere that has ever said that developers or publishers that already have games on Steam do not have to go through Greenlight. In fact, the reverse has been repeatedly proven. There are huge publishers (dtp Entertainment, Reverb Publishing, etc.) that have a load of games already on Steam, that are being forced to put their games through Greenlight.
yer a visage carry Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:05am 
Originally posted by POSwilco64256:
Originally posted by Sidney Lee:
^Yes. Though most developers already have a publisher that's got a game on steam, so they don't have to.

Untrue. This is an incorrect assumption that many people make, there is nothing anywhere that has ever said that developers or publishers that already have games on Steam do not have to go through Greenlight. In fact, the reverse has been repeatedly proven. There are huge publishers (dtp Entertainment, Reverb Publishing, etc.) that have a load of games already on Steam, that are being forced to put their games through Greenlight.
"Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?

Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight."

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/

Nothing at all, just incorrect assumptions!!!1!1
Last edited by yer a visage carry; Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:10pm
wilco64256 Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:16am 
Um, search for yourself. DTP and Reverb both have several games in Greenlight and they're obviously not new to Steam. It's very easy to prove that Greenlight is NOT only for new developers and publishers.
sayomgwtf Dec 7, 2012 @ 9:31am 
Very interesting.

And I completly agree with:

Originally posted by Meow:
An option to make only completed games, ready for release, viewable.

I'd even include having the demo ready to download and perhaps even make it available to write down a review on it, have some sort of metacritic steam system too.
Theevenger Dec 7, 2012 @ 12:33pm 
I like the idea of a "Keep an eye on it" option. I would also like the ability to exclude categories when customizing my queue. IE, add all RPGs, but exclude any that also label themselves platformers.
Theevenger Dec 7, 2012 @ 12:34pm 
Originally posted by sayomgwtf:

I'd even include having the demo ready to download and perhaps even make it available to write down a review on it, have some sort of metacritic steam system too.

I disagree completely about having anything like this in Greenlight. However, I think that this would be an excellent suggestion to the released section of games in Steam at large.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:30pm