Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Advance to the Steam Age
Explore new maps, multiplayer scenarios, and user created campaigns. Or reinvent your game experience with new sounds, visuals, AI, units, and more! Ready to share your creations with the world? Upload right from the map editor, or collaborate with friends to create a masterpiece collection.
Antigen Oct 22, 2013 @ 1:40am
New to modding scene
I was wondering how in depth the modding is? Can units be modded/created? I'd like to see an Assassins Creed style mod if possible.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Ozhara 216 Oct 22, 2013 @ 5:23am 
Units can be modded, but beside changing their visuals, all changes would have to be made to the games dat file, which means changes at the game mechanic. So it could only be used in mp if every players would use it.

Beside that modding the units is very time consuming as you have to do 50 frames/images per unit -> ~500 images to do for the whole game.
Last edited by Ozhara; Oct 22, 2013 @ 5:24am
Bassefrom 7 Oct 22, 2013 @ 8:27am 
You can add more units and change existing units, but a lot of stuffs are hard-coded into the game engine and not possible to add/change. For example, only certain units can explode upon death, it's not possible to add new units that does this. Modding has a lot of limitations, but there are a lot of people who still mod this game. Check this site out: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,40000,0,30
Ozhara 216 Oct 22, 2013 @ 9:01am 
You can add such an unit, it's just a change in the game mechanic.

But for the ai scripts do directly point to the unit ids, you would have to change them so the pc can use them.

If you just want an existing unit to explode, setting the death animation is easy and I'm pretty sure you can also set death damage there. It's just a change in game mechanic.
But possible with a tool like Advanced Genie Editor.
Big Yehudah ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ Oct 23, 2013 @ 9:01am 
Ozhara, is there a user friendly all incompesing editor or mod tool which would allow me to patch together a new faction?
Ozhara 216 Oct 23, 2013 @ 9:34am 
No, for new civs were only able in the classic AoE 2 by using the UserPatch. So the only chance would be to wait for FE, hopping they adapted this part as well, for FE uses the UserPatch (but they never said a word about that), or find a way to port the UserPatch directly. But as that would mean changes to game mechanic (I'm pretty sure it does^^), you would get sync error in mp if not all players would use it (what indeed would be a good choice for it fixes a lot of things^^).
Big Yehudah ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:59pm 
I'm not worried about a sync error as I would be playing my new faction only wiht others who have it too. I want to basically create medieval Nubia. I would just take units and buildings from other factions and reskin them.
Antigen Oct 23, 2013 @ 5:35pm 
Dang just thought I'd ask because I'm a huge AC fan and AOE fan and thought it'd be a cool little thing to add the two together.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2013 @ 1:40am