Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Adelion May 26, 2013 @ 2:08pm
Using brainless community badge spam for Greenlight?
Well, maybe the title could be chosen wiser and I am not to sure how relevant it is for Greenlight. But regarding the amount of stupid posts I wonder why Valve is not a bit bolder/smarter and formulates a Community Badge Requirement like: "Buy a Greenlit Game you have voted for" to make some money out of this. It would increase the participation in Greenlight and with a lot of luck also the quality of the votes since people maybe care for what they spend their money and not just vote for anything. It should also be clear that this does not work for Free to Play Games.

PS: Definetely not Greenlight related but out of curiousity: Is it possible report someone for obviously cheating Steam? I just saw a profile from someone (making a spam post which got deleted) whose 400 + Team Fortress Achievements unlocked in the same minute ..... Have they been introduced all around the same time or did he just do something he wasn't allowed to do? I mean if the experience and the Achievements are connected he is screwing the system and should be punished for this.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] May 26, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
"Buy a game you have voted for" wouldn't work. Partly because the lenght of time it takes to complete that and they would get a bunch of false yes votes. (possibly on the things that seems like the cheapest crap out there.) just so people will have a yes vote on something that gets greenlit so they can buy it.

It would ruin the whole ting even more then the "post in a sdiscussion" requirement is doing now.
-Z- May 26, 2013 @ 3:41pm 
It'd be better if they just got rid of the post requirement to stop the spam.

...or otherwise added the caveat that the post must be on-topic and that using a spam post to qualify will permanently block their account from unlocking the badge.

Also, if you're expecting the quality of votes to go up, I would have to point out that the quality of posts would certainly seem to disprove that theory.
Skoardy May 27, 2013 @ 4:52am 
Originally posted by Adelion:
But regarding the amount of stupid posts I wonder why Valve is not a bit bolder/smarter and formulates a Community Badge Requirement like: "Buy a Greenlit Game you have voted for" to make some money out of this.
Probably because it'd come across as money grubbing and greedy. And it would be.
Gorlom[Swe] May 27, 2013 @ 5:22am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
But regarding the amount of stupid posts I wonder why Valve is not a bit bolder/smarter and formulates a Community Badge Requirement like: "Buy a Greenlit Game you have voted for" to make some money out of this.
Probably because it'd come across as money grubbing and greedy. And it would be.
I kinda feel that way about the trading card system already... so I'm not sure that I would feel any outrage about that requirement. Only dissapointment because I think it would be stupid and corrupt/falsify their own system.
Adelion May 27, 2013 @ 1:35pm 
Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Also, if you're expecting the quality of votes to go up, I would have to point out that the quality of posts would certainly seem to disprove that theory.

I wouldn't expect it therefore Im reading the Greenlight forums for too long. I would just call it wishful thinking (as marked by the term "with a lot of luck") .....

I think I actually like the idea of this card trading system but some requirements just have probably an opposite effect to what they hoped for.
And for corrupty the system: Nobody is forced to do this meta-game, to spent money and to fulfill the requirements and since this is buisness I wouldn't blame them for such a money requirement and being greedy. But I can not deny that feeling that it would be unethic.

Oh and lastly to the caveat for the post to be topic-related is sadly not controllable because you either need an extra employer just to check all posts or you let the community decide if the post is related and that will also not work out well.

I think the wisest idea is just to remove the spam, I mean post requirement.
Gorlom[Swe] May 27, 2013 @ 2:18pm 
And for corrupty the system: Nobody is forced to do this meta-game, to spent money and to fulfill the requirements and since this is buisness I wouldn't blame them for such a money requirement and being greedy. But I can not deny that feeling that it would be unethic.
Adelion (if you were refering to what I said) the greedy bit isn't what I meant by corrupt/falsify their system. I meant that they would get the wrong data from the survey and get spamm in their forum. (like the current 2 requirements are probably doing already)

Panzerkek May 29, 2013 @ 4:49pm 
There has been and always will be that type of achievement. It's to promote the use of the system regardless of the content posted. Not everyone is here troll post and some that do initally plan to just post garbage end up posting quality content because of some topic that they might have stumbled upon while going to troll post.
Gorlom[Swe] May 29, 2013 @ 5:43pm 
Originally posted by Panzerkek:
There has been and always will be that type of achievement. It's to promote the use of the system regardless of the content posted. Not everyone is here troll post and some that do initally plan to just post garbage end up posting quality content because of some topic that they might have stumbled upon while going to troll post.
It has not been a part of the system untill the tradingcard beta was announced and they updated the "pillar of the community" badge to "community ambassador".

And it's not promoting the use of the system. It's promoting abuse of the system. It's a stupid requirement that causes a lot of unrelated and ridiculous posts (I've seen posts with full sentances that makes sense gramatically but has nothing to do with the context of the thread). If people were going to post relevant posts they would be doing it without the requirement anyway.

The same way that the requirement to vote for a greenlight item makes people vote without reading the question and probably doesnt even read the description of the game they are voting on, just to get the badge and then they never come back. That would mean that Valve gets a lot of misleading information.
Sgt.Psycho May 29, 2013 @ 8:12pm 
Well said, Gorlom.
C0untzer0 May 30, 2013 @ 1:21am 
Purely for the sake of balance, I feel I should point out that there are probably a lot of posts for this badge that we just don't see because they camouflage themselves as actual comments in a thread.
Gorlom[Swe] May 30, 2013 @ 1:29am 
I did actually spot one of those. :p I even commented on it being relevant to the topic :).
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 26, 2013 @ 2:08pm