Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Müsta Klaki May 22, 2013 @ 5:31pm
Greenlight a free game?
I am not concerned about making money. I want to provide a free game (With no micro-transactions) to people, and greenlight it.
Are you able to do this? To attempt to Greenlight a game that is free?

Last edited by Müsta Klaki; May 22, 2013 @ 5:33pm
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
-Z- May 22, 2013 @ 5:38pm 
They allow Half-life mods to be greenlit, and those are free, so probably.
Big Boom Boom May 22, 2013 @ 6:54pm 
One of the released greenlit is also a free HL mod (Cry of Fear) so it is definitely yes.
LordFraggington May 22, 2013 @ 10:06pm 
Seems you can, worst you can do is try and laugh at people who don't want a free game, but complain that games are too expensive? :)
ANGRY CAT May 22, 2013 @ 10:26pm 
Yeah... seems a bit silly to complain and not greenlight free games!
Wombo The High May 22, 2013 @ 10:35pm 
!
Gorlom[Swe] May 23, 2013 @ 2:19am 
Originally posted by Wespuft - You Got The Touch:
Yeah... seems a bit silly to complain and not greenlight free games!
Due to the comparative system of greenlight a free game isn't an automatic let through since it would be taking a spot of another game that a lot of people find interesting.
I'm wondering what the chances are that a free game will be as interesting as one that has had a lot of money invested in it (so that it needs to have a price tag). That would have to have a really awesome concept.
Skoardy May 23, 2013 @ 6:17am 
A lot of free games are free not because the developer is feeling particularly magnanimous but because they know for a fact they wouldn't be able to charge for their game - and in most cases that tends to be reflected in the quality of the product.

I can certainly understand people voting up priced games that they're interested in rather than the occasional free games that don't merit any kind of attention.

Of course, you've got to also remember that you would not only be not making any money from your game but essentially be losing money on the deal. There's a $100 fee to place your free game up for voting.
C0untzer0 May 23, 2013 @ 8:47am 
I downvote all free games on principle. They're always more expensive than they admit.
N3UTr4L May 23, 2013 @ 10:32am 
free games XD!
chelsiee. May 23, 2013 @ 10:52am 
free! :)
orb May 23, 2013 @ 11:18am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
I downvote all free games on principle. They're always more expensive than they admit.
Did you downvote Black Mesa, too? Outrageous.

I'm not sure how single player games like: Black Mesa, which I played occasionally a couple of times since October last year, Dead Cyborg EP1/EP2, which I played in Linux at the beginning of this year, Notrium I played a couple of years ago, Naev which I played in Linux last year, how are they more expensive than they admit. I didn't need to pay for them in any point of playing to unlock anything, and I can play them as long and as many times as I want.
Gen. Firefly {TRU} May 23, 2013 @ 1:30pm 
That would be nice
Gorlom[Swe] May 23, 2013 @ 1:44pm 
Originally posted by ڸ.Ҏ.™:
That would be nice
At the precise moment of this post his "community ambassador" badge unlocked.
orb May 23, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
At the precise moment of this post his "community ambassador" badge unlocked.
Valve should have added also a "Spammer" badge with negative XP. I see such adding nothing or single word posts in almost every Steam community forum I visit.
jeslyck May 23, 2013 @ 2:28pm 
Originally posted by orb:
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Did you downvote Black Mesa, too? Outrageous.

I'm not sure how single player games like: Black Mesa, which I played occasionally a couple of times since October last year, Dead Cyborg EP1/EP2, which I played in Linux at the beginning of this year, Notrium I played a couple of years ago, Naev which I played in Linux last year, how are they more expensive than they admit. I didn't need to pay for them in any point of playing to unlock anything, and I can play them as long and as many times as I want.

You must take into consideration that develops, and associated also post here. ;)
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 22, 2013 @ 5:31pm