Steam Greenlight
Change to "Would you recommend this game for steam?" vs "Would you buy..."
Most of the games I have reviewed so far I would have rated a Yes, however I am EXTREMELY picky and frugal when it comes to buying games. I'm also not really into "indy" style games usually unless they are unbelievable or just game changing (Minecraft). However I can tell a lot of these games would be awesome for people who have the money or are really into whatever particular style of game we are talking about. I *want* to vote yes, but you're asking if I would buy it...and thats going to be a no 99% of the time.

Am I overthinking it and I should just vote yes as if it was a recommendation vs saying I would buy it? I know I'm not commiting to it by saying yes, I just don't feel right saying yes when I KNOW I wouldn't actually ever buy it.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?
< >
กำลังแสดง 1-15 จาก 35 ความเห็น
I think other people may be able to speak for themselves. There's really no need for you to take on their burden.
แก้ไขล่าสุดโดย C0untzer0; 21 พ.ค. 2013 @ 12:52pm
Ummm...what? I'm just asking if anyone else agrees, and if anyone else is responding yes for games they would recommend even if they would never buy them. Are you even responding to the right thread?
No, Valve want to get an idea of how well these games will sell, not how popular they are, if you don't think you would buy the game then they need to know that to get more accurate statistics.
Why do you think Valve want to know whether you'd buy it rather than whether you think others would buy it? Which of those do you think is actual useful infomation and which is merely an opinion?

No, you're not overthinking it.
I would probably buy none of the games you assume I'd buy. :P
Just stay picky (when voting on Greenlight).
When i vote on Greenlight i dont thnk about buying or not, i think about if i am going to like playing that game or not...
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย AusSkiller:
No, Valve want to get an idea of how well these games will sell, not how popular they are, if you don't think you would buy the game then they need to know that to get more accurate statistics.

You can't do a wide open survey like this and ask a targeted question like that. The question doesn't actually even include all the necessary information to answer.

How much does it cost on release? Am I assuming I have infinite money? How long until it goes on sale? How much will it be if on sale?

All that information is necessary for me to answer that question.

If the question was, "Does this game deserve to be on Steam?" then you wouldn't need ANY of that to answer.

Doesn't Valve deserve more from me than 1000x no just because I'm picky as hell about what I spend money on? Even though I think it looks like a cool game that deserves to be on Steam?
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย Addicted_fool:
Doesn't Valve deserve more from me than 1000x no just because I'm picky as hell about what I spend money on? Even though I think it looks like a cool game that deserves to be on Steam?

Since, at the end of the day, all they're particularly concerned about is whether you would pay money (even an unspecified amount) the answer is no. Frankly, I think the more picky you are the better they like it.
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย shockwavelover:

Since, at the end of the day, all they're particularly concerned about is whether you would pay money (even an unspecified amount) the answer is no. Frankly, I think the more picky you are the better they like it.

Is there an "auto-no" button I can use to vote no on every game on greenlight then? I know for a fact I'm not going to spend money on a single one of them, I think it's a shame if that is all they want to know though.

Is there an "auto-no" button I can use to vote no on every game on greenlight then? I know for a fact I'm not going to spend money on a single one of them, I think it's a shame if that is all they want to know though.
Did you ever hear the saying "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything"? It works the same here. If you don't plan to explore and maybe find great games in Greenlight, don't vote on any of them. The "No" button doesn't mean anything to them, it only removes them from your queue.
Ummm...what? I'm just asking if anyone else agrees, and if anyone else is responding yes for games they would recommend even if they would never buy them. Are you even responding to the right thread?
Awww, that's wonderful.
After taking time out of your busy day to decide what games I would like to buy, you've still got the time to question my speech. After you've decided which books are unnecessary we can host a big bonfire party!
Then you can select those entertainers whose opinions match your thousand year plan and we can get together making colourful armbands for people.
I upvote the games I like the look of (nice art style, my type of genre, interesting concepts, etc), will I buy them? Who knows... I then downvote those that don't "do it" for me.

Yes there is such a button, several in fact. Any button that takes you away from the voting section of greenlight does exactly that. The "no" vote doesn't do anything, except not count as a "yes" and take it out of your que.
If you are not interested in buying any games on greenlight then please do not waste your time voting (but feel free to to join us in discussing on the forums)

I surmise that you havegenerally misunderstood how Greenlight works. I'm not sure which premise it is you ahave gotten wrong so I'll just list a few of the most common that I can think of:
- There is no voting "up" or "down". "No" does not affect the games chances to get greenlit. If you don't want to purchuse the product please press "no" without feeling guilty.
- You are not reccomending which games should be on steam, you are indicating your own interest to pay money for a product. Anything else is of no interrest to Valve. Please don't pretend Valve is interested in what you think others might play.
- Voting yes to games you are not interested in paying money for is not "helpful" or "nice". You are infact screwing over other games that might have more people interested but don't get tthese kind of pity votes. In short if you "pity vote" (as oposed to showing your own interest or lack there of) you are an inconsiderate bastard to others and messing up the data Valve is interested in. If you think people are interested in a game lett them show their own interest so that Valve can have the real numbers.

Answer the question asked instead of making up your own question. If you do then you do not know what Valve is interested in trying to figure out from your votes.

YEs, C0untzer0 was responding to the right thread. He understood what you meant, but more importantly he understands the question posed by Valve and what they want to get out of Greenlight. I do not think you do.
You can't do a wide open survey like this and ask a targeted question like that. The question doesn't actually even include all the necessary information to answer.

How much does it cost on release? Am I assuming I have infinite money? How long until it goes on sale? How much will it be if on sale?

All that information is necessary for me to answer that question.

If the question was, "Does this game deserve to be on Steam?" then you wouldn't need ANY of that to answer.
But there is no value in gathering the kind of data you feel you could answer... (why you think you can answer for others though is beyond me)

IMO asking targeted questions like that is the only way to do surveys properly.

That all the important information is not present is a flaw in this circumstance, but it is not quite as flawed as your alternate question which doees not give any data that Valve can do anything with.
แก้ไขล่าสุดโดย Gorlom[Swe]; 21 พ.ค. 2013 @ 2:45pm
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย OneTrueSaxon:
I upvote the games I like the look of (nice art style, my type of genre, interesting concepts, etc), will I buy them? Who knows... I then downvote those that don't "do it" for me.
Are you atleast voting for games you would be interested in playing or are you "pity voting" (voing yes to games that others might be interested in, but you have no idea if that is really the case)
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย GorlomSwe:
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย OneTrueSaxon:
Are you atleast voting for games you would be interested in playing or are you "pity voting" (voing yes to games that others might be interested in, but you have no idea if that is really the case)

I only vote for games that I would be interested in buying, though I can't guarantee 100% I'd buy it, e.g. It gets bad reviews, or I just don't get around to buying it (Lots of games I want, plus own many that I haven't played yet), etc... It may sound selfish, but I only care about the games I want to play.
< >
กำลังแสดง 1-15 จาก 35 ความเห็น
ต่อหน้า: 1530 50