Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Onur Uça May 20, 2013 @ 10:25am
How to get in touch with the 'Yes' Voters ?
Hi. Is there a way to get in touch with the people who voted 'yes, i would buy this game' on my greenlight page?
I have posted an announcement however i think it is not seen by these people who voted positively for the game.

Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Snaeng May 20, 2013 @ 10:36am 
"Yes" means "Yes, I'd buy this game", not "Yes, bother me with more!". People who are really interested in news are favouriting your submission, and then they'll get to know about new announcements.
orb May 20, 2013 @ 10:37am 
The announcement was seen by people who also follow the project, but voters don't need to follow any game they voted. Well, for example I've only seen the announcement on the game page after I read this topic.
Onur Uça May 20, 2013 @ 10:53am 
Originally posted by Snaeng:
"Yes" means "Yes, I'd buy this game", not "Yes, bother me with more!". People who are really interested in news are favouriting your submission, and then they'll get to know about new announcements.
I'm certainly not the bothering type. It just would have been good to let the 4K people that the game they voted positively is released
Skoardy May 20, 2013 @ 12:10pm 
Originally posted by Snaeng:
It's funny but that's one of the reasons I stopped Favouriting projects, as I didn't need my activity feed spammed with every little announcement a handful of devs were making.

On a similar tangent - Devs, can you please stop inviting people to project groups simply for commenting on your game. I merely wanted to offer a comment, not join a cult, thanks.
wilco64256 May 20, 2013 @ 12:14pm 
Honestly this seems like a HUGE oversight on Valve's part and I'm surprised they haven't fixed it. They're asked everybody whether they would open their wallet when this game is available, but then have absolutely no method in place for notifying those people when said game is for sale.
orb May 20, 2013 @ 12:19pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Honestly this seems like a HUGE oversight on Valve's part and I'm surprised they haven't fixed it.
Not an oversight. They simply only tell people when a game was released on Steam and not somewhere else.
wilco64256 May 20, 2013 @ 12:30pm 
Obviously I mean notifying the yes voters when the game is available on Steam, which they don't do. I'm not expecting them to notify people when the game goes up for sale somewhere else, but it seems pretty sensible to me that they'd want to toss out an email to people who vote "Yes I want to buy this on Steam" when the game can be bought on Steam.
A Puzzlemint of Legend May 20, 2013 @ 1:36pm 
Anyone who can actually be bothered to use Greenlight probably already keeps up with new releases.
Sgt.Psycho May 20, 2013 @ 2:28pm 
As one of the Yes voters (although not for OCR) frustrated by a resounding silence on many projects, I'll show by example.

How not to do it
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125252723
A couple of new pics added, but video is exactly the same as submitted.
The dev is presumably working on it (I hope) and has a great concept, having got in at the start of the first-person survival genre taking off. However there has been no news and frustrating dialogue with them, with users bouncing all sorts of ideas into a void. They've stubbornly refused to discuss what the game is about, what will happen in it, how this will work and any sort of timeline. They've only just opened a Q&A thread/published an external forum months later, which has precious little in it.

How to do it
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111075014
Multiple, detailed videos being updated as the game is updated. Lots of pics showcasing the game as it is being played. This game is in alpha atm, so Greenlight content is updated regularly.
Regular, comprehensive announcements from the dev, and they are very involved with community. Checking the discussions, there is even more interaction with the developer, on a regular basis, and even a dev log where you can see what they've just done. It even has it's own forum which is active, and contains an even more detailed dev log, and the dev responds to questions within a day.

It almost makes you wonder how they find time to do work on the game when they spend so much effort on reaching out to the community and writing about what they're doing!

So, in conclusion, assuming that people are actually following your entry, write useful, interesting, non-spam announcements that make people want to come back to your Greenlight/external pages and see what's new. If you think that you've been voted but not followed (can submitters see this in stats?) when you have some genuinely major news, a tech demo, playable demo, alpha/beta test openings, won an indie award/show feature, or other newsworthy item suitable for the general community then a post here should get their attention and should be appreciated, as long as it isn't spam.

Disclaimer: I am an alpha tester for NeonXSZ, but am not otherwise affiliated with it or the developer.
Last edited by Sgt.Psycho; May 20, 2013 @ 2:53pm
Onur Uça May 20, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
So you see announcements of the items you voted yes? I think you are also 'following' them?
Sgt.Psycho May 20, 2013 @ 2:49pm 
As stated by previous posters, you only get 'pushed' updates if you also 'Follow' the submission. If you just voted Yes and moved on, you hear nothing.

I suspect, as Wilco64256 said, that this is kind of broken leading to exactly the issue you've brought up. imho, it should be an opt-out system where you automatically follow games you've voted. I follow almost every game I vote for, and also follow a lot I don't vote for, so I can see if they improve enough to vote for later.

That said with auto-following, no-one needs more spam, so I don't know what the solution is.

This is further complicated by the fact that all submissions you've voted for that pre-date the Follow feature are not followed (I just checked some early votes) so if you happened to submit your game before then and have it voted, you have no way of reaching those voters (in Greenlight) asides from a post like this.

Given your submission date, this is almost certainly true and no-one who voted for OCR is following it, I would guess.
Last edited by Sgt.Psycho; May 20, 2013 @ 2:50pm
Onur Uça May 20, 2013 @ 2:54pm 
Originally posted by Sgt.Psycho:
As stated by previous posters, you only get 'pushed' updates if you also 'Follow' the submission. If you just voted Yes and moved on, you hear nothing.

I suspect, as Wilco64256 said, that this is kind of broken leading to exactly the issue you've brought up. imho, it should be an opt-out system where you automatically follow games you've voted. I follow almost every game I vote for, and also follow a lot I don't vote for, so I can see if they improve enough to vote for later.

That said with auto-following, no-one needs more spam, so I don't know what the solution is.

This is further complicated by the fact that all submissions you've voted for that pre-date the Follow feature are not followed (I just checked some early votes) so if you happened to submit your game before then and have it voted, you have no way of reaching those voters (in Greenlight) asides from a post like this.

Given your submission date, this is almost certainly true and no-one who voted for OCR is following it, I would guess.
About %10 of the voters are following
shockwavelover May 20, 2013 @ 8:06pm 
I use the 'follow' system to hold games that I'm not quite ready to vote yes on, but like to keep up with in hopes that they will add/change more so I can vote yes. Auto-following would irritate me no end.

(The reason I use the 'follow' function rather than the 'ask me later' function is that I don't want those games coming back into my queue until I'm ready to look at them again. Ask me later just doesn't leave enough time, and doesn't tell me what changes have been made in the interim. And 'favourite' means subjecting all my friends to 200 or so games in their 'friend's favourites' list, plus these are *not* my favourite titles, just ones I might want to vote yes on later.)
Jesus♥ May 20, 2013 @ 9:49pm 
YES!!
Sgt.Psycho May 20, 2013 @ 10:09pm 
Originally posted by shockwavelover:
I use the 'follow' system to hold games that I'm not quite ready to vote yes on, but like to keep up with in hopes that they will add/change more so I can vote yes. Auto-following would irritate me no end.

oic, so once you've made up your mind you don't really want to hear any more from them and you're happy to wait for them to be Greenlit?

Good point on Favourites. I used to do it a lot until I realised how it was spamming the Community. I culled that quick smart afterwards.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 20, 2013 @ 10:25am