Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Spagett May 11, 2013 @ 1:58pm
Free medieval fantasy RPGs
Why are there so many of them? Why are approximately 100% of them completely uncreative? Why would someone make a product which has already been done to death by large-budget companies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSr8KZgvir0
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
wilco64256 May 11, 2013 @ 2:34pm 
Why do you care so much?
Sgt.Psycho May 11, 2013 @ 2:53pm 
You could say the same for pretty much everything. "There is nothing new under the sun..." etc.

Here's a game which I thought was totally revolutionary and unique in concept
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102760280
...except it isn't. No offence to devs, but it's damn hard to create unique 'emergent, deep and compelling' gameplay. Sometimes the bar is set high, as with Against the Wall, sometimes it's lower.

Coming back to RPGs, one thing is for sure, and that's that the market is already highly saturated (nearly as much so as FPS, but that's another rant) so any new entries will need to have a very high level of standard to competitive (e.g. Skyrim) or offer something completely unique to the contemporary gaming landscape (e.g. Legend of Grimrock)
Sera May 11, 2013 @ 6:58pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Originally posted by Spagett:
Why are there so many of them?

Because they're top sellers. It's common to try to follow the big money.
It kinda makes sense. If games about ponies were top selling ones, you would see tons of games about ponies and you would probably see at least one person making a thread about why there are so many pony themed games. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? lol...
Last edited by Sera; May 11, 2013 @ 6:59pm
No One May 11, 2013 @ 7:00pm 
when you say "Free medieval fantasy RPGs" i hear "mmorpg" because how would they make money if they dont atleast get micro payments . why do so many FPS have a military theme ? it fits .

but your right its unoriginal . they should make a mmorpg were you have a normal person doing borring stuff like working fry side at a fast food place or bagging groceries to make money and you dont spend it on gear to increase your stats you spend it so your character wont starve and can take a bath ... then people would probably remeber they play games because reality is borring and the farthest thing from reality is running around with a sword killing giant dragons and being healed by a elf
Last edited by No One; May 11, 2013 @ 7:01pm
Tails The Fox May 11, 2013 @ 11:01pm 
I love the Robotnik reaction!
C0untzer0 May 12, 2013 @ 2:48am 
Originally posted by NoOne:
the farthest thing from reality is running around with a sword killing giant dragons and being healed by a elf
Depends on where you live, my neighbourhood tends to have some rather odd traditions around this time of year...
Spagett May 12, 2013 @ 11:15am 
Honestly, the reason I ask is because voting on games on Greenlight is one of the things I do in my spare time, and I swear I've downvoted at least fifty of these which are completely identical. I've voted on 960 total games, and the fact that such a large fraction are medieval fantasy RPGs is just embarrassing.

The weird thing is that about half of them are free, and not all of those are online. Are they saving for DLC? What are they going to add? Something new and original that could have been in the original game to motivate people to pay for it?

What I really want to do is spread the word to devs, "it's been done ten million times already, at least add something attractive if you want it to stand out."

Oh, and Psycho, I did think the trailer for Against the Wall was new/interesting enough to play the demo, which revealed how tedious the gameplay actually was.
racecar56 May 12, 2013 @ 12:11pm 
Originally posted by Spagett:
Why are there so many of them? Why are approximately 100% of them completely uncreative? Why would someone make a product which has already been done to death by large-budget companies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSr8KZgvir0
I'll have to give you a PRRRRRROMOTION for that reference!
Kawaii Neko Chan May 16, 2013 @ 7:29am 
WHYYYY WHYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY
C0untzer0 May 16, 2013 @ 9:00am 
It's often a case of people not thinking past developing a game, and not ralising the difficulty of publishing. Don't worry though, the number of votes these games draw is low enough that Valve won't be likely to be paying their bills for them anytime soon.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 11, 2013 @ 1:58pm