Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
ekbmrb May 7, 2013 @ 1:14pm
Why do proven developers need to go through Steam Greenlight?
I mean, Hanako Games, Wadjet Eye, Rockin' Android, Nyu Media, and so on all already have games on Steam. Why is it that, ever since Greenlight came about, they've needed to go through the Greenlight process? It stops some of the best indie developers from getting another game onto Steam!
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Skoardy May 7, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
Maybe their sales aren't exactly what you'd call earth-shattering? And if they honestly can't pass the process, did they really deserve that free ride in the first place?
ekbmrb May 7, 2013 @ 1:53pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
And if they honestly can't pass the process, did they really deserve that free ride in the first place?

The Greenlight process is pretty much a matter of getting an internet celebrity to play your game, OR being a horror game.
Gorlom[Swe] May 7, 2013 @ 2:03pm 
Originally posted by ekbmrb:
The Greenlight process is pretty much a matter of ... being a horror game.
I haven't paid attention to horror games, has a lot of them been greenlit?

I assumed that I'd be more annoyed over all the horror games getting greenlit over the games im interested in if that was the case, since horror is not my preference.
Skoardy May 7, 2013 @ 2:29pm 
The Greenlight process is pretty much a matter of getting an internet celebrity to play your game, OR being a horror game.
Is that what you're telling yourself?
jeslyck May 7, 2013 @ 3:35pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
And if they honestly can't pass the process, did they really deserve that free ride in the first place?

Only 7-8 horror games out of 87 Greenlit, what are you talking about.
ekbmrb May 7, 2013 @ 3:39pm 
Okay, yeah, this was a dumb topic, wasn't it? Never mind. I guess I was just blowing the fact that Greenlight's a popularity contest out of proportion.
C0untzer0 (Banned) May 8, 2013 @ 2:34am 
Okay, yeah, this was a dumb topic, wasn't it? Never mind. I guess I was just blowing the fact that Greenlight's a popularity contest out of proportion.
You mean a system of garnering votes from the public is actually a Popularity Contest? Next you'll be making the same accusations about those annoying Karaoke programs on the television...
C0untzer0 (Banned) May 8, 2013 @ 2:36am 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:

Oh, but it is very much a popularity contest. Not as much inside Greenlight as outside. Who you know matters a lot too.
Even after the launch, particularly with internet MultiPlayer options... If you've got the third most popular title in a bracket, sell your shares quickly!
DNR3 May 8, 2013 @ 5:17pm 
I also wonder why publishers that have already released games on steam are on Greenlight. Running With Scissors for example, had to go through Greenlight to release Postal 2 (a very controversial game for some people), but then it released the first Postal (also a controversial game) without the need of greenlight.

Anyway, my point is if Devs/publishers/etc with games released on steam can publish again, why the others are using greenlight? :l
wilco64256 May 8, 2013 @ 10:40pm 
Originally posted by DNR3:
I also wonder why publishers that have already released games on steam are on Greenlight. Running With Scissors for example, had to go through Greenlight to release Postal 2 (a very controversial game for some people), but then it released the first Postal (also a controversial game) without the need of greenlight.

Anyway, my point is if Devs/publishers/etc with games released on steam can publish again, why the others are using greenlight? :l

Because Valve makes them go through Greenlight, without any explanation as to why they're putting them into this system.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 7, 2013 @ 1:14pm