Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
yod May 6, 2013 @ 7:04am
My greenlight video looks really bad in 320p, is it possible to force play it in HD?
Does somebody have any experience with that? Thanks.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
AusSkiller May 6, 2013 @ 9:04am 
As far as I know it is not possible, and you really shouldn't be forcing HD on people, some people do not have access to high bandwidth internet connections are going to find a HD stream much more unwatchable than SD. I suggest you just add a brief annotation recommending that it is watched in HD and that the SD version is not representative of your game.
yod May 6, 2013 @ 9:49am 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
As far as I know it is not possible, and you really shouldn't be forcing HD on people, some people do not have access to high bandwidth internet connections are going to find a HD stream much more unwatchable than SD. I suggest you just add a brief annotation recommending that it is watched in HD and that the SD version is not representative of your game.

tnx for this suggestion
yod May 6, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
Sgt.Psycho May 6, 2013 @ 8:32pm 
Just on this topic, I've noticed a lot of entries have really bad, muddy, blurry videos. Devs, please present your entry as well as you can for maximum impact. Yes I know not everyone can afford commercial-level capture and editing software, but do what you can. Remember if I can't see your entry clearly, it makes it that much less persuasive for an upvote.

If you can't show high detail effectively in your video, then please please please at least sample natural resolution screen captures so we have example snapshots of it in action. Video is more about showing the flow, sequencing and intractability, so if you have good screenshots (you've uploaded at least 10, right? How hard is it to mash printscn?) we can always extrapolate the video in that context.

Ford wouldn't advertise their latest model in some half baked, poorly produced commercial (not a dig at yod), you shouldn't aim for less either.

@yod
It's watchable. The fine details can't be made out clearly, but it's serviceable enough for review purposes, and there's more info if needed on the website.
yod May 7, 2013 @ 12:55am 
I'd say it's not a problem with how the video is captured, the problem is in how Steam let's us present things - Autoplay videos on 320p, with max height of 358px.

It's ok, if one has some FPS shooter to show for, but if he doesn't and instead has something with smaller details - he's in the ditch with me.

How to improve:
1. Allow more options for video hosts, for example - vimeo.
2. Allow changing the height of the video size, yes it would start moving the vote buttons and kills the user experience a little, but also it gives more fairer chance to finer detailed games.
yod May 7, 2013 @ 1:59am 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Taking a look at my own and admittedly having budget tools right now, my videos play at 360P automatically - not 320P. There are options to watch it at either 240P or 480P (or full screen) in the YouBoob bottom menu. Is this a Greenlight display issue or a YouBoob embedding issue?

Originally posted by yod:
How to improve:
1. Allow more options for video hosts, for example - vimeo.
2. Allow changing the height of the video size, yes it would start moving the vote buttons and kills the user experience a little, but also it gives more fairer chance to finer detailed games.

Have you thought to post this in the Greenlight dev group discussion?

Sorry, I misspelled 360p is correct. Where can I find this "Greenlight dev group discussion" ?
yod May 7, 2013 @ 2:38am 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/greenlightbeta

If you paid the $100 fee you should have access. Else, message Alden or TomB and they'll invite you.

tnx!
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 6, 2013 @ 7:04am