Steam Greenlight
Barkode 1 maj, 2013 @ 19:31
Great Games that now are lost!
Some great games are now abandonwear (revolt). If Someone made a HD, uptodate version, the whole INTERNET would love you.
< >
Visar 1-15 av 15 kommentarer
wilco64256 1 maj, 2013 @ 20:01 
I don't suppose you could be bothered to say specifically what games you're referring to?
Mudtowner 1 maj, 2013 @ 20:26 
Freelancer
Psycho 1 maj, 2013 @ 20:34 
*mumble mumble* GOG request... *mumble*
Gorlom[Swe] 1 maj, 2013 @ 23:58 
No, such thing as legal abandonware. Someone still owns the rights even if they are not interested in pursuing any ilegal distribution. They will most likely be interested in sueing the snot out of anyone that that tries to make money on their property without aquiring the rights first though.
(Downloading abandonware isn't any less piracy than downloading something that just got released. It's just that the people that owns the IP doesn't care since they aren't selling it through legal channels and aren't making money on it anyway)

Abandonware just means that the owner has pulled support for the title and isn't distributing it anymore. It does not mean that the owner has given up the rights of ownership. Those rights do not decay over the years
Barkode 2 maj, 2013 @ 5:43 
Well, sorry! But some great games are now for old operating systems (xp, 97, ect.)
Gorlom[Swe] 2 maj, 2013 @ 5:55 
Ursprungligen skrivet av UnkindlyMaple:
Well, sorry! But some great games are now for old operating systems (xp, 97, ect.)
I suggest you hop over to Gog.com (the acronym stands for "good old games")
That distributor specalizes in bringing back old unsupported games so they can be played on modern machines and OS. (Just look at what they did for Systemshoick 2)
As I understand itthey aquire licenses (if there is enough customer demand) and patches the games so you can play them.

The important part is that they do this legally rather than say "it's abandonware, so it's ok" (which it is not)
Senast ändrad av Gorlom[Swe]; 2 maj, 2013 @ 5:57
Barkode 2 maj, 2013 @ 12:27 
Thank you so much!
Atiagooq 2 maj, 2013 @ 12:57 
Ursprungligen skrivet av UnkindlyMaple:

have you tried troubleshout compatipility to xp or 97?
Psycho 2 maj, 2013 @ 15:27 
Ursprungligen skrivet av GorlomSwe:
I suggest you hop over to Gog.com (the acronym stands for "good old games")
That distributor specalizes in bringing back old unsupported games so they can be played on modern machines and OS. (Just look at what they did for Systemshoick 2)
As I understand itthey aquire licenses (if there is enough customer demand) and patches the games so you can play them.

The important part is that they do this legally rather than say "it's abandonware, so it's ok" (which it is not)

Good points Gorlom.

Yes, abandonware is abandoned for distribution and support, but the author's copyright remains intact . So if you care about those old games, and want to play them then you should try and purchase a legitimate licence for them. I tend to grab stuff I actually still have in original floppy/tape/cartridge format, so that's my excuse. ;)

GOG is a great service and does exactly what you say. In many cases, the effort required to get an old game working under newer OS's is far greater than what you'd pay from GOG, so it's far easier to let them do the hard work and simply enjoy playing renovated old classics.

GOG is always looking to bring back old games, and does so by negotiating with the licence holders. In many cases they're hard to find, or it's not really worth their time to bother for a few dollars, but they've had really good success so far. I think that there's an untapped market in retro gaming (just see how many retro-inspired games are being developed) and it's gaining momentum.
Veldros 3 maj, 2013 @ 3:02 
Hello guys. I'm thinking about Privateer 2: The Darkening. Would it be possible to put this game with cinematics on steam? I don't know the politics, but is there any possiblility that such thing would happen? Privateer 2 is kinda old, but it's the best space simulator with economy and a good story, good actors (like Clive Owen, Christopher Walken) and a very nice plot, I've ever seen. I'm also thinking about Star Trek: Starfleet Command. I think that many people would be fond of buying Star Trek and I'm afraid that not many people have heard of Privateer 2.
Gorlom[Swe] 3 maj, 2013 @ 5:31 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Vegan85:
Hello guys. I'm thinking about Privateer 2: The Darkening. Would it be possible to put this game with cinematics on steam? I don't know the politics, but is there any possiblility that such thing would happen? Privateer 2 is kinda old, but it's the best space simulator with economy and a good story, good actors (like Clive Owen, Christopher Walken) and a very nice plot, I've ever seen. I'm also thinking about Star Trek: Starfleet Command. I think that many people would be fond of buying Star Trek and I'm afraid that not many people have heard of Privateer 2.
1. You're not adding anything of relevance to this thread. You should be in the request a game part of the forum, instead of hijacking other peoples threads.
2. You have misunderstood how Greenlight works. It's the devs that come to Steam not Steam that reaches out to the devs of some random game suggested on the forum.
If you want the game on Steam you need to email the devs or their publisher (or possibly in the case of some old games the current owner of the IP) and have them submit the game to Greenlight.

Alternativly go to Gog.com and convince them to try to get hold of distributions rights. They like doing that sort of thing.

3. It is very unlikely that Steam will be selling any EA game not already in its catalogue simply because EA isn't interested in having their games sold by a rival distribution platform (they want people to buy as many games on Origin, rather than on Steam, as possible. Denying Steam to sell EA games is one way to bring over customers to Origin.)
Senast ändrad av Gorlom[Swe]; 3 maj, 2013 @ 5:33
C0untzer0 3 maj, 2013 @ 15:39 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Vegan85:
sure, all we need is for you to pay for all he programmers, writers, actors, sound guys, etc. so just a few million from you, then we can pull it off...
C0untzer0 3 maj, 2013 @ 15:53 
Ursprungligen skrivet av ;810923580569131475:
1. You're not adding anything of relevance to this thread. You should be in the request a game part of the forum, instead of hijacking other peoples threads.
No, he shouldn't, kamrat, he should be far from any such thread and actually thinking.
(men jag vet det ar osannolikt)

Veldros 4 maj, 2013 @ 6:08 
Yo. It was just my suggestion. I said before that I don't know the politics... So as those actors get paid even if a game with their appearance is reselled, it definitelly wouldn't be worth putting it here or anywhere since people are not interested in that. Thanks for your insults, alskling. Jag alskar dig.
LevaOpaki 4 maj, 2013 @ 12:29 
Check this, similar to revolt but on the greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93045414
< >
Visar 1-15 av 15 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 1 maj, 2013 @ 19:31