Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Closed May 1, 2013 @ 3:48am
How to make game for Greenlight?
Hello. Many people make games and put them into Greenlight section. I am newbie at this, So I'm looking for practised people, who will explain how this works. I know only PHP, HTLM and CSS and I hope this knowledge will help me for making games. I came here after playing game called "Cry of fear". I think it's mod of half-life. There is SDK tool in my Steam account. Is this game made by SDK? I just want you to tell me how to get started. Sorry for my bad English and I hope you understand What I wanted to say. Thanks
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
C0untzer0 May 1, 2013 @ 4:31am 
Yes, but you REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to try making your first game with that. I'd suggest you download the free version of Game Maker Studio from the software section and look through the tutorials and such. Also, remember that there's a LOT more to making a game than just the code. There are places where you can learn that stuff too. Lastly: FFS don't expect your first game to be a success, particularly in the shark-tank of Greenlight. Try the shallow and friendly waters of IndieDB and Desura, where the feedback tends to be more constructive and helpful.
AusSkiller May 1, 2013 @ 7:14am 
It depends on the kind of game you want to make.

If you want to make an RPG:
Get RPG maker, for a first game RPG maker is going to be a lot more useful than trying to make the game from scratch, you might actually complete the game, unlike the thousands of other developers who try to make an RPG for their first game, from scratch, and then a month or two into development give up and finally accept that it's just not realistic to make an RPG from scratch without experience.

If you want to make a first/third person shooter:
These are actually some of the easiest games to make, there are plenty of purpose built engines that are perfect for first/third person shooters and saves you many months if not years of development. Some of the ones I'd recommend are the Source engine (that's probably what the SDK you were looking at is for), Unreal engine, Unity, and Torque.

If you want to make a platformer:
Game maker is a good option and will probably save you a lot of time, you can't do anything particularly fancy in it but it's great for something like a mario clone with better graphics.

If you want to make a puzzle game:
Puzzle games rarely have engines that are suited to them straight out of the box, you need to find more generic engines and modify them to do what you need, the best for a beginner is probably Unity, though if it's a 2D puzzle game game maker may suffice too.

If you want to make a driving game:
These can be very tricky to get right without working knowledge of how physics engines work, the best bet is to use a first/third person engine that already has code for vehicles (I think Unity, Source and Unreal all do), but you end up with less control over the driving model and may find it hard to get the cars to behave the way you want.

If you want to make an MMO or RTS:
Give up now, you really need a lot of experience before tackling these sorts of games.

Personally I'd recommend you bench the idea for the game you want to make and try making a much smaller game first just to get used to how one fits together so that you can better plan how to make the one you actually want to make. Also if you want to get serious about making games then I'd strongly recommend learning C++, it's the industry standard for games development and once you've learned it you can pick up most other languages very quickly.
C0untzer0 May 1, 2013 @ 8:17am 
If somebody can handle PHP CSS HTML, (presumably SQL also) He's probably got the chops for C++. Of course that won't mean much if he aint got da (algo)riddims.
Sgt.Psycho May 1, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Don't make a game "for Greenlight". Make a game for you.

To make a game people will love, you have to love it first. The motivation you'll need comes from this one idea.

Nice one Mindwedge!
Sgt.Psycho May 1, 2013 @ 8:52pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Thanks. I learned that somewhere, and I live by it.

As an off-and-on again moderator (not here) it's very true. If you try to keep everyone happy, and dive back and forth lowering the bar, catering to the lowest common denominator, pretty soon you're pleasing no-one at all. To use the famous misquote, "you can't please all the people, all the time."

I've said what you have to several devs, even when I disagree with them. e.g:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141742170
(a few pages back)

Sometimes a dev has to go with their gut and their vision.
__ May 16, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
I've gotta complete MORPG Half-Life mod, that's been around since 1998 or so, and has expanded exponentially since then with fairly regular updates (over 70 maps, and maybe a thousand models now!)... And I can't figure for the life of me where to go to get it green lit. There's no submission form or contact I can find.

I assumed that Valve didn't even *have* the source for Half-Life anymore, but somehow Cry of Fear pulled it off... Their forum registration is broken, or I'd ask them. :\
wilco64256 May 16, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Originally posted by __:
And I can't figure for the life of me where to go to get it green lit. There's no submission form or contact I can find.

1. Scroll to the top of the page.

2. Click the "Submit your item" button.
Lucy May 16, 2013 @ 8:21pm 
@,@
__ May 16, 2013 @ 9:40pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Originally posted by __:
And I can't figure for the life of me where to go to get it green lit. There's no submission form or contact I can find.

Which goes to two links, which takes you to a workshop page, with nothing on it, or this very same thread - where fan boys just submit what games they like to see on Steam, while Valve ignores them. It doesn't take you to anyplace where you can submit your game for Green Light.
wilco64256 May 16, 2013 @ 9:49pm 
You should be getting to a page with one button that says "Pay Now" to submit your own game to Greenlight for voting to get it onto the Steam store, and another button that says "Submit Concept" where you can submit a game that's early in development for general community feedback.

If you're getting anywhere else, you're either not clicking the right thing, or you're having some internet browser problems.
__ May 16, 2013 @ 10:23pm 
Meh, maybe it doesn't like this browser - I'll play with it again when I get home I guess... But hitting that link is what brought me to this thread section here to begin with.
Gorlom[Swe] May 17, 2013 @ 1:00am 
Originally posted by __:
Originally posted by wilco64256:

Which goes to two links, which takes you to a workshop page, with nothing on it, or this very same thread - where fan boys just submit what games they like to see on Steam, while Valve ignores them. It doesn't take you to anyplace where you can submit your game for Green Light.
Question: Do you have any games on your steam account? I think that is a requirement that you own a non limited steam accoutn to be able to submit something.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; May 17, 2013 @ 1:03am
wilco64256 May 17, 2013 @ 8:39am 
It's also possible you're clicking some other part of the banner other than the little green button itself. The entire banner redirects to Greenlight in general. Only the text on the "Submit your item" button actually takes you to the submission page.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 1, 2013 @ 3:48am