Steam Greenlight
Adol Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:48pm
Has the submission fee for Greenlight been dropped recently?
Is this why we're seeing submissions such as http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140667361 ?
There have been others, but the example I have given is most likely the most extreme case so far.
I'm geniunely curious as to whether people still need to pay to submit games to greenlight as I cannot see any justifiable reason for why such things are being submitted, other than it being free.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
wilco64256 Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:49pm 
The fee has not been dropped.
Adol Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:50pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
The fee has not been dropped.
If that is true then I'm even more shocked than I was prior to making this thread.
Psycho Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:53pm 
Hence my comments about making Greenlight 'smarter'.
wilco64256 Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:53pm 
If you think one terrible submission is that bad, you should have been here on September 1.
Adol Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:59pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
If you think one terrible submission is that bad, you should have been here on September 1.
I remember how bad greenlight was back when it was first put in place, that's why they placed that $100 fee (which of course went to charity) to curb the spam that was happening and made the concepts section for pre-alpha submissions (which, for the most part, turned in to a junk pile).
This particular submission reminded me of those times, which is why I made this thread asking if they'd dropped the $100 fee. Sadly, it just turns out that people are willing to throw away (to a charity, of course) money to submit something that will only be met with ridicule. It's pretty sad, they could have put that $100 towards making their game better, while having a spot on concepts for free.
Last edited by Adol; Apr 22, 2013 @ 3:01pm
MadMage Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:53pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
It might be a good idea to delete this thread if your question has been answered. Singling out a submission in this forum for the purpose of bringing negative attention to it is sort of frowned on. Something about developer abuse IIRC.
So, Steam created a forum for us to say yay or nay on up and coming indie games, but frowns on the actual 'nay' aspect of the process?
MadMage Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:33pm 
Technically, it's not a developer - it's their submission. And I see developers in here all the time plugging their creations. Why should calling one out for being terrible be an issue?

Furthermore, the OP's intent was not to call out a single game as being awful but to point out one as an example of the poor quality of games being submitted here.
Last edited by MadMage; Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:34pm
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:42pm 
Originally posted by MadMage:
It might be a good idea to delete this thread if your question has been answered. Singling out a submission in this forum for the purpose of bringing negative attention to it is sort of frowned on. Something about developer abuse IIRC.
So, Steam created a forum for us to say yay or nay on up and coming indie games, but frowns on the actual 'nay' aspect of the process?
No, not really. They never give us the indication they want us to say "nay" to anything. Show indifference or simply ignore the thing, yes. But saying "nay"? Very much frowned upon. :)
Technically, it's not a developer - it's their submission. And I see developers in here all the time plugging their creations. Why should calling one out for being terrible be an issue?
It's rather rude and the author is not in any way made aware of it the same way he is on his projects page? Give the guy a decent chance to defend himself! herself/theirselves/whatever
Furthermore, the OP's intent was not to call out a single game as being awful but to point out one as an example of the poor quality of games being submitted here.
There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the concequences of the the action regardless of the intent? (Time to thow cliché proverbs at you!) The road to hell is paved with good intentions :p
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:46pm
C0untzer0 Apr 23, 2013 @ 5:28am 
Intent is rarely as important as consequence, the message is what is recieved rather than what is sent.
C0untzer0 Apr 23, 2013 @ 5:59am 
It may be more like "How does somebody get hold of a whole HUNDRED DOLLAR!"
which has a whole other set of connotations...
Adol Apr 23, 2013 @ 6:08am 
You're free to nay to your heart's content on the dev's submission page. Public ridicule of a developer in this Greenlight discussion forum is a whole other issue.

While I can see where you're coming from, and I have no intention of mocking the developer of that 'game', if I were working at Valve I'd probably be embarrassed to see something like that appear on one of the company's services, despite my view that Greenlight ought to be open to all without prejudice. To tell the truth, I do not know Valve's stance on greenlight submissions. It may well be for them that, as long as Mr Game Dev pays up, anything goes and that's that.

I would prefer that Valve incorporates some form of quality moderation for Greenlight submissions. While it might be somewhat difficult to pull off, it would save Mr Game Dev a lot of embarrassment when he sees that nobody (unironically, mind you) responds positively to the submission and ends up with about 10 pages worth of comments basically mocking both game and dev.

Also, as has been said before. This thread was not made to ridicule a developer, it was made out of concern that low quality submissions are allowed to be made.
Adol Apr 23, 2013 @ 6:17am 
Time to swing the moral compass IMO.

Originally posted by Adol:
Also, as has been said before. This thread was not made to ridicule a developer, it was made out of concern that low quality submissions are allowed to be made.

Then you'd be fine with removing the link to Puni's game from your OP, yes?

Linking a developer's game does not in any way ridicule their person. So no, I would not.
My posts have only included feelings of concern for the state of Greenlight. Nothing I have posted so far has been made to mock anyone. I'm afraid if you take this in any other way then there's little I can do.
Last edited by Adol; Apr 23, 2013 @ 6:23am
wilco64256 Apr 23, 2013 @ 8:22am 
Linking a developer's game does not in any way ridicule their person. So no, I would not.
My posts have only included feelings of concern for the state of Greenlight. Nothing I have posted so far has been made to mock anyone. I'm afraid if you take this in any other way then there's little I can do.

It's pretty obvious that your OP is outright slamming the project you included. If you were only writing about the "state of Greenlight" in general, then you wouldn't have singled out a single project to pick on. That's really not what these forums are for.
jeslyck Apr 23, 2013 @ 8:54am 
Just because you can hide behind the screen it is not okay to slander people just more cowardly.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 23, 2013 @ 9:00am 
I would prefer that Valve incorporates some form of quality moderation for Greenlight submissions.
That would remove the whole point of Greenlight...
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:48pm