Steam Greenlight
How to make a 3rd-person shooter/adventure game?
Hi, I wanted to make a 3rd-person shooter/adventure game. Unfortunatly, I have no video game making XP (I do have Skyrim moding XP, if that means anything). So, is there any easy to use, solid video game making software out there, or am I better off hiring some guys to make the game for me?
< >
Visualizzazione di 1-15 commenti su 27
Unity 3D? Just how easy is it to use? Does it come with tutorials?
Ultima modifica da Something_Incredible; 18 apr 2013, ore 7:55
And this software will allow me to make whatever type of game I desire?
Ok, thank you! I'll see if I can succesfully make a "test game" with it.

Messaggio originale di Mindwedge:
You're only limited by your determination to succeed.
Greater words have never been spoken.
Welcome to the world of game development!

Unity 3D is a fan-freaking-tastic engine -- I'm sure you'll love it. Since you'll probably be modeling your own things, tools like 3ds Max and Maya are considered the industry standard. You can use them for free indefinitely as long as you do not try to sell your works. Alternatively, a completely free tool for commercial use is Blender.

A good place to start to learn Unity is their new Learning section on the website. It's full of some really new awesome stuff.
Having seen some awesome entries here using Unity 3D, I'm actually kind of interested in having a go myself if I get the time. If I do, I'll post something up about how it went and my naive opinion about it's value. Disclaimer: I am an app developer, not a game developer.

It's worth a shot, you can't do any worse than the bottom-tier of Greenlight submissions. *hysterical laughter*
Thank you, Mr.Psycho, for the great encouragment! Also, new question, in addition to my idea for a 3rd-Person Shooter/Adventure game, I've also had an idea for a Zombie-Survival game. I plan on making both eventually, but which one do you guys think I should make first?
Whatever is the smallest. Always, always, always start small.
Messaggio originale di intox. Disney:
Whatever is the smallest. Always, always, always start small.
Good words, good words. Going by that logic, I should do the Zombie game first, since the 3rd-Person Shooter/Adventure will be story driven, and I plan on doing voice-overs for it, and I need money to hire people to do voice-overs, and money, I do not have.
1 Zombies are also a great excuse for not creating a good AI algorithm.
2 As for the VO stuff. Check out b-movie/horror conventions, you'll find a lot of people there who might help.
3 I hope you're not expecting to make money with your first game, First projects are pretty much just a learning experience, if you do try to publish it somewhere, try IndieDB or somewhere similar, where people are sympathetic and not comparing it to AA titles.
4 From my experience with film-makers, I'd suggest you hold back your best ideas until you have a little more experience and cash. You don't want to look back on it and think you didn't do justice to your story.
Ultima modifica da C0untzer0; 20 apr 2013, ore 2:44
I think the VO stuff was for the shooter/adventure rather than the zombie thing, so I'm not sure how a horror convention would help. >.>

By that same token, so long as OP doesn't mind amateurs, I might be able to volunteer my voice whenever the time comes (depending on where life takes me between now and then, of course). Downside obviously being that I'm an amateur. Upside is that I'd do it for the fun of it. (Goes for anyone who doesn't mind dealing with an amateur, really.)

There's also probably communities dedicated to doing VO stuff, but I've still not looked into it to know for sure.
Ultima modifica da A Gelatinous Cube-Z-; 20 apr 2013, ore 7:40
Yes, the Voice-Over stuff is for the Shooter/Adventure. And I don't plan on making the Zombie game a horror game, there are way to many of those on Greenlight already! And I don't like horror...
You're right. There ARE way too many zombie games!
Messaggio originale di Zaxoth:
I think the VO stuff was for the shooter/adventure rather than the zombie thing, so I'm not sure how a horror convention would help. >.>

By that same token, so long as OP doesn't mind amateurs, I might be able to volunteer my voice whenever the time comes (depending on where life takes me between now and then, of course). Downside obviously being that I'm an amateur. Upside is that I'd do it for the fun of it. (Goes for anyone who doesn't mind dealing with an amateur, really.)

There's also probably communities dedicated to doing VO stuff, but I've still not looked into it to know for sure.
I don't mind amateur, considering I'm an amateur myself.
Messaggio originale di Mindwedge:
Messaggio originale di Zaxoth:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/buying-guides/voice-over-equipment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74_cmoMCWAs
Thank you for the info, Mindwedge, you are a great help!
< >
Visualizzazione di 1-15 commenti su 27
Per pagina: 1530 50

Data di pubblicazione: 17 apr 2013, ore 18:17